Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever lit a Volkswagen case on fire?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toumadrivesa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-150s have magnesium blocks? That rules. Bigger fire with a more reasonable motor to burn. To bad the whole truck wasn't magnesium.
QWKDTSN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local counter jockey at Kragen told me the story of his Super Beetle's case catching on fire. Apparently someone pulled up and tried to help by pouring (throwing? .. with the heat, and all) beer onto the block fire to put it out. By the time the CHP showed up there they were on the side of the highway, watching this thing burn to the ground as bright as the sun, with a case of empty beer cans at their feet. Razz
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in 86 on our college graduation night we had a couple junk super beetles that some guy left abandoned in our apartment lot. We were all very drunk and rolled one over and threw a burning lawnmower inside of it. I couldn't believe how big and bright the flame was!! I can't believe the cops never showed up, the 85 yr old neighbor came out and had a couple beers and helped us watch it burn. These are the advantages of schools in rural Vermont.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never thought about this. I have a scrap 36 horse engine and a big drum out in the field....I'm gonna give it a try. It will be a while until I do this, but I will post pics.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoopy wrote:
As a firefighter it is always interesting to pull up on a VW on fire. Especially when the owner is going ape over why his car is going up like it is.

P.S. You all will get to see more magesium fires now since the new F-150's have it too.

Scoopy

i'd like to see some ford owners go through what i went through. the difference between me and the vw owners you speak of, is i knew what was going on when the engine case lit off. after about 15-20 minutes, the firefighters got there in time to douse the engine compartment with chemicals and stop my show a bit short

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get your hands on one of those old fire extinguisher that you fill with water and compressed air or a super soaker might work. Then clear everyone waaaaaaaaaay back from the fire and hit it with the water. The thing will explode like your hitting it with gasoline.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73fback wrote:
Here is a link to the case burning at our halloween campout this year:

http://www.aircoolers.org/gallery/album239/138_3859

Thanks for the new desktop background.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JamesT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were cleaning out the barn and found 4 or 5 bad transmissions and several old engines past their second line bore, so we chucked them on a fire. It took about 20 minutes before the first one caught, but once it did, they all went up. We were having fun chucking buckets of water on the fire because it made a massive flare up and a yellow mushroom cloud. All that was left afterwards was a thick layer of white ash, little pools of aluminum, and the internals of the transmission laying perfectly in place where they sat in the tranny. Next time I go camping, I'm bringing an engine block.

1968 Kombi (Weekend warior project)
1982 Rabbit Pickup (Forever a project)
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
73fback wrote:
Here is a link to the case burning at our halloween campout this year:

http://www.aircoolers.org/gallery/album239/138_3859

Thanks for the new desktop background.

I couldnt get it to open

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
LostMyVWkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the craziest camp fires I have ever seen. Last weekend at the BNNTA #24 I thought I would kick back by my campfire and relax. Then I thought, "Where the hell is that bright light coming from?" I found it. Two and a half hours later and three case halves the light went dim. Wow, I had no idea that it was that bright. I was afraid of retinal burning so I got my eyes behind a tree. We were upwind and I wondered how many squirrels were lost in the woods. Yes, water exaggerated the "flame." If that wasn't enough the campout clown added a few too many full cans of tuna to only explode and make it even bigger. At that point the family camping trip became kinda unsafe. Interesting nonetheless. Yes, they burn, Bring sunglasses.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know what all the "explosions" were coming from when my storage building full of VW stuff went up in smoke.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I once saw a guy set his case on fire while trying to weld behind #3. He dragged it to the backyard and dumped it into the pool to put it out. Only problem is that magnesuim doesn't need air to burn and will still burn under water. It burnt a hole through the bottom of the pool and did alot of damage.

Needless to say his parents were not happy.

Wow! That must have been something to see. The fact is the magnesium burns so hot, it burns the oxygen that is in the water (H2O).

Ever wonder what would happen if you lit a pile of mag shavings on the snow?? Would it burn clear through to China???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blackdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you trow a rock at it!

Blackdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKSRGtBD28
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackdawg wrote:
When you trow a rock at it!

That looks like special effects from a WWII movie where all of the special effects are like small scale and crappy Laughing
truelinebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: vw case on fire Reply with quote

here is a video of one with water going on it to fuel it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKpjYSd1RmM
foxtail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military and the airports use or they did way back when a blood base foam. I have seen several plane fires up close, well not as close as a fireman. Back in the late 50's. One was a crash and the other 3 was caused by stupid mech's.

64 bug
64 bus
59 ghia
71 bus
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever lit a V.W case on fire? Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
I know a guy who likes to burn V.W cases cause the magnesium makes them burn so hot. He and his buddies like to burn old slash fires in the mountains in Oregon. He burnt several until one time he got brave and decided to shoot at the fire with a shotgun. Real redneck fun, shootin at fire. well he happened to hit the block and it shot melted magnesium all over his body. He was pretty messed. the metal was stuck to his face and the closest hospital was 2 hours away...

It's amazing how the human race can weed out it's own lowest common denominator. I'm sure booze had nothing to do with this.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
rubsterob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that magnesium creates it own oxygen when it burns there for can bun under water but I also know that when you try to put you car fire out they explode and smell really bad
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubsterob wrote:
I've heard that magnesium creates it own oxygen when it burns there for can bun under water but I also know that when you try to put you car fire out they explode and smell really bad

It's so hot it breaks the water (h2o) into hydrogen and oxygen. So when you throw water on it, it's like supercharging it or giving it nitrous Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: