Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going through wheel cylinders
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Going through wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Another issue I have had with my SC is that I am always replacing the front right (passenger side) wheel cylinders. When I drove my bus daily I replaced it several times. I rebuilt them about 2 or so years ago and now they are leaking again! No other wheels are leaking. Why this one and always this one?

I have used new German ones and they lasted the longest but I have had this bus for 14 years and I am only replacing the passenger side.

Thoughts?

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know who made the wheel cylinders?

Did you hone the cylinders and use sil-glyde silicone grease on the bore and seals?

I always take apart/clean and reassemble all my new brake componants using sil-glyde on the bore and seals.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Going through wheel cylinders Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
Why this one and always this one?

Anything else weird about that wheel? Do the star adjusters stay where you put them. Are the wheel bearings rocking? Do both front brakes feel equal.

Hot shoes transmitting to the piston to the rubber, extra travel in the bore due to shoe wearing or lack of adjusting, rough bore from strange hone, pulsating from non-round drum, one side or 1/2 side doing all the work, are a few things.
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I hone the cylinders out. No I do not know who made it but I know it is German. I did not use sil-glyde but did use a grease. Once I used brake fluid as a lube and that worked also. Got the same life out it as I did this last build that I used the grease on.

Nothing else is weird or wrong with this wheel. I have replaced the bearings once. Nothing else and yes the star adjusters keep the brakes at the right adjustment.

Could it be the soft line? I have not replaced the soft line.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not replaced the rubber lines, do so.

Replacing all rubber brake hoses is a given for all my vehicles. They always seem to be swelled shut anyway. I also do not want to put on new cylinders and push all the crap from the old dirty ass hoses through them.

You used a silicone grease, not regular grease, in your cylinders, right?

Using brake fluid only does not really provide any long term lubrication, more of an assembly lube if anything.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no chemical engineer, but I don't think normal automotive bearing grease is compatible with brake fluid, and might be part of your problem? There is a special lubricant make for use in brake systems that use brake fluid, and I have a squeeze tube of German "ATE" brand brake paste for use in lubricating brake parts during inspection and storage.

Yes! Change all four of your rubber brake lines, as over time they swell inward and start to choke off the return flow of fluid back towards your M/C.

I wonder also if "maybe" you have honed a cylinder a little too much causing too much clearance between the cylinder and the piston/seal causing some leakage?

Let us know what you discover here...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will be buying a new wheel cylinder and this time I will take it a part and lube it up with silicone grease before I install them. Also I will replace the rubber lines.

I do not think I honed them too much. I think the lack of real grease (no I did not use wheel bearing grease) might be causing this issue. I guess we will see after a few years if this is the case.

Thanks guys. I never thought about the type of grease I use would cause this.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
I think I will be buying a new wheel cylinder and this time I will take it a part and lube it up with silicone grease before I install them. Also I will replace the rubber lines.

I do not think I honed them too much. I think the lack of real grease (no I did not use wheel bearing grease) might be causing this issue. I guess we will see after a few years if this is the case.

Thanks guys. I never thought about the type of grease I use would cause this.
You can get Sil-Glyde silicone grease at NAPA, and some FLAPS stores.

Thomas Jefferson
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely use some grease/lubricant that is brake fluid and brake system friendly. I got the huge toothpaste-style tube of ATE brake grease from BBT in Belgium ( www.BBT4VW.com/en ).

The actual link to the ATE brake cylinder paste is: http://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/4-under-carriage/3-brakes%20/brakecylinder-paste/

Awesome stuff from the very folks who make the cylinders and brake components...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bus I have ever owned and driven I have either replaced the hard lines or at the very least pulled a pipe cleaner through them. The long, front to back one is by far the hardest to do either way. But you absolutely will not believe the amount of gunky crap that that comes out. I use brake cleaner first until it starts to flow out of the opposite end and then pull the pipe cleaners through until everything looks clean.

Brake system efficiency is all about pressure AND volume. A lot of problems can be traced to obstructions, either partial or full, in the hard lines. Of course this isn't meant to discount the other parts of the system. It is just sometimes a matter of out of sight, out of mind. "If the hard lines aren't obviously failed, they pass the test".

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by cru62 on Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Going through wheel cylinders Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
Another issue I have had with my SC is that I am always replacing the front right (passenger side) wheel cylinders. When I drove my bus daily I replaced it several times. I rebuilt them about 2 or so years ago and now they are leaking again! No other wheels are leaking. Why this one and always this one?

I have used new German ones and they lasted the longest but I have had this bus for 14 years and I am only replacing the passenger side.

Thoughts?

Is the drum over-spec, allowing the seals to travel too far in the wheel cylinder? It happened to mine. I fixed it with Old Speed's disc brake kit. Smile
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably rebuilt hundreds - ok almost that many - wheel cylinders and masters on all types of vehs. never once have I lubed one with anything except brake fluid, an assembly lube as was said earlier. Didn't even know there was a lube for hyd cylinders, they didn't teach me that in high school. Rolling Eyes Sorry to all those owners of cylinders running around out there that I put out.
Learn something new here all the time.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried swapping the drums to see if the issue moves?
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:

No I have not and never thought of that. I am not sure if the drum is over spec. I guess I could take it to a shop to find out.

I ended up buying new cylinders. Still not sure if I will use the new ones or rebuild the existing ones yet. I bought them because jbugs is closed on the weekends now and I am hoping to get the brakes done this weekend.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
Harleyelf wrote:

No I have not and never thought of that. I am not sure if the drum is over spec. I guess I could take it to a shop to find out.

I ended up buying new cylinders. Still not sure if I will use the new ones or rebuild the existing ones yet. I bought them because jbugs is closed on the weekends now and I am hoping to get the brakes done this weekend.

O'Reilly's can measure drums. Any Auto Zone type parts place that turns drop and rotors will have digital calipers for measuring. They're not as accurate as a drum mic, but too few people can actually accurately read a drum mic, so calipers are just as good.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Didn't even know there was a lube for hyd cylinders,...

Although not totally necessary if you bleed and service your brakes often enough, it's kinda' relatively new depending on what and where you learnt stuff. I use red rubber grease, myself. It isn't so much for the replacement of the tried-and-true only-use-brake-fluid method as it is to keep the part of the bore and piston/shoe end that is normally dry of any lube from corroding and the rubber stays supple longer.

Regarding the regular grease, petroleum based grease will eat any brake rubber as well as gear oil that runs onto it.
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oversized drums were the culprit for me too. Mine were +1-2mm oversized, and the previous owner had several wheel cylinders replaced. I've found in- spec drums and never had an issue since. Took a while to find decent german drums though!
Pete
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
I've probably rebuilt hundreds - ok almost that many - wheel cylinders and masters on all types of vehs. never once have I lubed one with anything except brake fluid, an assembly lube as was said earlier. Didn't even know there was a lube for hyd cylinders, they didn't teach me that in high school. Rolling Eyes Sorry to all those owners of cylinders running around out there that I put out.
Learn something new here all the time.

no biggie, ATE themselves say to use their brake grease OR brake fluid. I used it for the first time (permetex brand) doing my porsche rear calipers, I've always used fluid before this
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See - I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong Laughing
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. I will have the drum measured today hopefully. If the the drum is the problem, I will be glad to hopefully put a stop to this crap.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: