Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

In regards to the best quality and light output...
what do you have and how is the light from them?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, Americans tend to call any auxiliary light "foglights". So are you truly interested in fog beam patterns? I ask because no discussion looking for aux lamp recommendations should start any other way than "I need better lighting for X conditions, what do you recommend?"

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Just to clarify, Americans tend to call any auxiliary light "foglights".

Bingo Doug ... it boggles my mind that so many (in US) don't know the dif. between fog, driving, aux. headlight, flood, array, etc. lighting.

But to the OP ... for fogs only ... and on vanagons ... prefer/favor the older Projektzwos which are NLA but can be found used mostly in Europe.

Then some are using various types of aircraft fog lights which can also put out a brilliant but non-annoying beam if aimed correctly.

Terrawagen makes their TerraPodz's which are LED and seem to be a cross of daytime/driving light but I don't how they'd handle real fog.

You could also try PIAA's that are usually of good quality, and even less expensive ones at the local flaps that are less illuminating but functional.

I have used or am using all of these above on my rigs except the TerraPodz of which I just bought a set today Smile
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question kind of along the lines of the OP's. I've read just about every fog/driving/aux lighting thread on here and have never really had this answered. For all of you out there with all these different brands and styles of lights, who of you uses them on public roads without issue? I'm looking for lights that can be on pretty much whenever and not blind other drivers, but also that actually put out some decent light. I'd prefer driving lights since they project further down the road, but fogs would be ok too I guess. I think any additional light source would help to go along with my relayed higher wattage bulb squares that are still pretty much sub par for night driving.

My van is a 2wd tintop that will be lowered in the future and will NEVER see anything but paved roads...
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on your needs..

- in fog the driving lights will give you a white wall and they won't help and even blind you

- in clear (no fog) the fog lights won't project as far as you want.

the difference is in the pattern of the glass.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has definitely been discussed/answered before but perhaps you didn't come across it.

Real fog lights should never blind oncoming traffic if properly aimed.

Ditto for driving lights aka daytime driving lights.

Aux. headlights, often also referred to as aux. driving lights, can potentially blind on-coming traffic and must be aimed carefully or not at all except off-road.

Many States have laws against more than two sets of lights on at one time.

A lot of the lighting has to do with the lens of each and light refraction.

Another factor is the wattage and type of bulb or LED's used.

Basically fogs project short and wide, the others narrow and long.

Three of my rigs have three point lighting systems on different circuits: regular headlights, fogs and aux. driving lights.

I rarely run the last one but it's there if I need it in a super blackout situation or if the headlights go out for some reason.

You can often get away with just using the high beams when there's no on-coming traffic and eliminate the aux. driving lights altogether for those who prefer to not have so much lighting up front.

On nightly road trips I almost always run the fogs with the regular headlights because the fogs light up the sides of the road.

I've driven at night where the blackness swallows up the light and the highway center and sidelines are mostly washed out but with the fogs I can see the road sides and know where I am at 65 mph. Shocked
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent feedback so far. The key to getting good lighting out of any vehicle will always be to have high quality, properly aimed headlights and good quality bulbs. All the lumen output in the world will not give satisfactory results if the reflector and lens of the main lights are not well designed and in good operating condition.

I routinely see vehicles with foggy headlight lenses and high output bulbs that simultaneously create a combination of bad lighting for the driver and excessive glare for oncoming traffic. This is particularly problematic for 86-91 vans with stock rectangular lights in bad condition.

Since the headlights for the 86-91 Vanagon are a proprietary design and replacements have been unavailable for years, this leaves many people with no simple solution to the problem. The best options are to convert the main outer lights to a readily available replacement headlamp as described in this post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...rd+buckets or to convert to 7" round headlights as found on 80-85 Vanagon's or the South African Grill setup.

Once the quality of the main lighting in a vehicle is properly addressed, many people no longer find a need for auxiliary lighting. If additional lighting options are still desired, look for something from a well known manufacturer like Cibie, Hella or PIAA. Even when choosing from a well known source, there will often be a range of products available at different price points. When it comes to lighting, the cliche of "you get what you pay for" often rings true. I have yet to find a set of fog lights or driving lights that give decent performance for less than $75.00-$100.00.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very true

I'm a fan of quality BOSCH fog/Driving lights.
I like HElla and PIA but they are usually more$$ yet.
on mom's 86van we have a set of quality 'old school' bosch fogs up under the van to where you can't eyeball the lens standing in front but they do an excellent job of lighting up the road & shoulders filling in where the 86+ square lights miss.. especially to her 70+yr old eyes..
people who put 80/100watt upgrades in and tout the brilliance haven't been on the other end of that blinding beam.. irresponsible I feel.
thatvwbusguy wrote:
Once the quality of the main lighting in a vehicle is properly addressed, many people no longer find a need for auxiliary lighting. If additional lighting options are still desired, look for something from a well known manufacturer like Cibie, Hella or PIAA. Even when choosing from a well known source, there will often be a range of products available at different price points. When it comes to lighting, the cliche of "you get what you pay for" often rings true. I have yet to find a set of fog lights or driving lights that give decent performance for less than $75.00-$100.00.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pair of NOS Cibie Oscars on Ebay right now for a reasonable price.

Fantastic lamps!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cibie's are good, Hella's are also a good driving light option.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note that in Europe they use amber colored fog lights

amber color has longer wavelength, combined with special designed glass it penetrates better in the fog

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Fri May 30, 2014 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Projekt Zwo fog lights. They are ok for coastal fog but I haven't tested them in dense fog banks high up in elevation.

Yes, in Europe people usually have the amber type and are a bit more accostumed to fog lights and how to use them. However, many times I have seen both in the US and Europe people driving a German or European car on a crispy clear night with both front and rear fog lights on, most likely unaware they flipped the switch on. The front ones I can bear but the super bright red rear one is a pain in the ass when you are driving behind. I have to say the rear one was very useful when I used to drive in the Pirenees and the Alps. Very easy to spot the car in front of you in the middle of thick fog high up in the mountains.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
many times I have seen both in the US and Europe people driving a German or European car on a crispy clear night with both front and rear fog lights on, most likely unaware they flipped the switch on

yes, this is true and I think the city slickers flipped them on for the show... as in - "... look me...isn't that cool?.."

and yes the best is having the super bright rear fog light so you won't get rear-ended

and use them in fog only ...please...

Very Happy
mirthpeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one of the best uses for Fog lights is in the winter, to light up the snow banks. I use to have amber ones.
One problem, living in NY, you're not suppose to run Fogs without the headlights on. So in dense fog, you don't end up using them because of the reflection from the headlights.
-Eric
2000 Cabrio- Needs lots of work
2002 Golf TDI- Future Vanagon transplant?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenraVR6 wrote:
I think any additional light source would help to go along with my relayed higher wattage bulb squares that are still pretty much sub par for night driving.

When I had relays with stock square lenses I also was not satisfied. When I went to Hella h4 7" rounds, I stopped wanting anything else.

So I suggest you either get H4 rectangular or swap in the grille and buckets from a round light van such as my 1985.

I also have a SA grille on a different van, it uses the same 7" round H4 as my 85. The additional smaller high beam lamp on the SA grille is imho overkill, especially since most of the time you cant use high beam anyway.

to me, the ideal light combo is single 7" H4 rounds on relays with upgraded bulbs. Both the low beam and high beam of that single lens is absolutely awesome!

Im also interested in Projektzwos fogs and the replicas recently mentioned here on samba, by a guy from england.. waiting for him to notify

and Im also interested in the LED Terrapods. Im waiting for someone to compare them to the Projektzwos for actual FOG

Im happy to hear madspaniard report the Projektzwos (corrected, not Terrapods) work in coastal fog, as that is where I live.

I am also interested in more feedback from WestyBob, for the use he describes lighting the side of the road, such as on unlit roadways and two lane country roads.

I want to know if the Terrapod does a good job of lighting the side of the road, or if they are aimed only forward.

I want to know if the Projektzwos are superior fog lights to the Terrapod, and whether Projektzwos are better for sidelighting dark country roads.

thanks for the thread and discussion

Last edited by Jon_slider on Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Im happy to hear madspaniard report the Terrapods work in coastal fog, as that is where I live.

Hi Jon

Just a correction, I said the above about the Projekt Zwo fog lights that I have installed in my Westy. I don't own TerraPodz driving lights.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (had) a set of rectangular Hella amber fogs mounted on the front bumper, very effective in bad weather.
One key to success is keeping them mounted as low as possible, you don't want light projecting upward to create glare in the fog & snow.
Search Hella, Cibie, Marchal brands for the best lighting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also nice to have is a rear-facing red fog light, standard equipment in all of Europe. Provides some extra visibility to other drivers coming from behind.
Euro tail lights come with an extra bulb holder for this purpose, but separate light assemblies are widely available too. I picked up a K.C. unit on Ebay for about $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Fog-Light-35W-1pc-Bla...723wt_1125

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One excellent way to learn which light types (fog, driving, pencil, cornering, etc) do what is to go to Hella's factory site and look at something I think they call their "simulator". It's a pretty cool artificial view down a country road at night to show what gets lit up with each lamp you choose. Don't say I didn't warn you though - it may prompt you to have the UPS man deliver a bright yellow Hella box next week...

I have the big Rally 3000s, and the large Rally 4000s on vehicles, and the Vanagon is getting a set of the Rally 3000s I've had on a shelf for a decade waiting, just waiting for the right vehicle. These are the Euro driving beams and they're going to turn night into day as soon as I fabricate the heavy mounts. 3000s have been out of production for years.

On LEDs and fog, it is worth noting that the frequencies they put out will not be good in fog. They're working on it, but take an ordinary LED flashlight out on even a damp night and you'll see what I mean. Lots of light blowback and dazzle, and you'll literally see little water particles in the air right in front of the lense.

So, go jam up the Hella website!! Fun stuff.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These:

http://www.piaalights.com/details.php?productName=959

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a rear fog, consider the Hella Model 100. I have used these since 1979 and never had one die. The lense material is a cherry red glass-like old fashioned expensive plastic. The housing is entirely steel with chrome plating. The lense has a thick watertight gasket, and even the screw holes have their own thick gaskets. For the same money as the KC it's a steal, and as a bonus has a slightly retro look (bulged lense, radiused corners, etc) appropriate for the Vanagon. I literally have 235,000 miles on one on my Cruiser.

The other nice thing is the mount on this Hella will swivel forwards or backward if struck, without damage. On my LandCruisers I find this handy because when I'm offroad I (usually) remember to walk back there and swivel it forward and up behind the bumper out of harms way. You Syncronauts wil appreciate that feature!

DougM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: