Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hella Comet 550 driving and Hella fog lights. Nice and clear and a big boost to the stock lights.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Nice Doka!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Nice Doka!

WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Thank you. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
I also get a lot of comments about it while driving around :
    What is that?
    Is that new? Rolling Eyes
    Did you chop the van yourself? Wink
    Oh, a mini-truck! Mad

It's no mini-truck! Not a 1/4 ton, not a 1/2 ton, not a 3/4 ton truck, but a full fledged 'ton truck', as long as you consider a carrying capacity of 980kg to be a ton - just 20kg shy of a metric tonne, but some 160lbs more than an SAE ton.
W
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Thought I would revive this thread since I need some advice. Looking for some high quality fogs for the doka. I would like to mount them pendant style on the grill guard but having trouble finding some to mount upside down. I know a lot of people say they mount the Hella 500 series upside down but then the guards don't work, the logo is upside down, etc. I like the PIAA line but again, what I can see is they all should be upright. Anyone have knowledge of a light design for either?

Or should I put the fogs on the bumper and some aux lights upright on the guard. I think upright fogs would be too high and work better lower down.

We get some good fog at times so I would like them for the city but some nice aux driving lights would help as well.

Also, mounting them on the guard means I have some wiring exposed a bit. Have been looking thru the offerings on the web for a quality loom for the outside wire run but it all appears a bit cheap looking.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

You need to decide if out want round ones, or rectangular / square. I decided on round ones because I thought rectangular ones would clash too much with my original rectangular headlights. The other thing you need to think about is LED or halogen. I mounted mine on the front bumper. Mine are vintage fog lights made by a company called Per-Lux. They are about the same size as Hella 500 "Black Magic" round lights, and I converted them to H3 halogen bulbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1995245.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
You need to decide if out want round ones, or rectangular / square. I decided on round ones because I thought rectangular ones would clash too much with my original rectangular headlights. The other thing you need to think about is LED or halogen. I mounted mine on the front bumper. Mine are vintage fog lights made by a company called Per-Lux. They are about the same size as Hella 500 "Black Magic" round lights, and I converted them to H3 halogen bulbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1995245.jpg

Yes, the ones on the guard need to be round. Have a pair of Hella 500FF but they can only be upright. If I go to a fog on the rumper they would be rectangular. I like halogen but could use LED if I need to.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Newly installed Hellas. But not yet wired up ala Abscate Bling method..... Wink Wink Wink

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

I've been looking at these from "Diode Dynamics", but at 3" deep they will not fit under my bumper so did not want to buy them as an experiment for $160.00
They have 3 different versions, Driving, Flood or Fog lights

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-6-sae-dot-amber-light-bar-pair.html

bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Go big
The covers can be used for dining plates

Solid shaft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

PIAA LEDs. Finally all wired up with the original switch.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Those Diode Dynamic fog patterns are terrible, and that explains why they called them "SAE..." The US standards for foglights are no better beam patterns for fog than a candle.

On lights - go big and be truly HAPPY with your lamps. Or go normal size and be somewhat content.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Newly installed Hellas. But not yet wired up ala Abscate Bling method..... Wink Wink Wink

I’m happy if you are happy... Smile Laughing Laughing Laughing
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Those Diode Dynamic fog patterns are terrible, and that explains why they called them "SAE..." The US standards for foglights are no better beam patterns for fog than a candle.

On lights - go big and be truly HAPPY with your lamps. Or go normal size and be somewhat content.

Waiting to see if you'd say anything! Very Happy That center-weighted beam pattern with the soft edges on the top & bottom is so far from the distinct even pattern of the Hella 550's that I thought you'd go after them!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

I’m happy if you are happy... Smile Laughing Laughing Laughing
heh heh heh... Wink Wink
I WILL get them wired up, sometime, soon, probably, wait,...... definitely.... Razz Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

Has anyone seen Hella 181 fog lights on a Vanagon before?

I came into a practically free pair and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on whether or not to go for it before I made my decision.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

icutler198 wrote:
Has anyone seen Hella 181 fog lights on a Vanagon before?

I came into a practically free pair and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on whether or not to go for it before I made my decision.

you are really into this question

Moderator note: The three other identical posts in three other fog light topics from icutler198 have been removed.

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights- Who is happy with theirs, looking for the best! Reply with quote

I may have previously posted this photo to this thread:

Hella Comet 450 fogs under the bumper. Perfect fit! The 55w halogens are not terribly bright, but they have a crisp horizontal cut-off and good illumination to each side. Not inclined to go to higher wattage as the case itself is made of ABS.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: