Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 vanagon h-pipe leak and coolant dump, in Utica ny
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgearhar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: 1985 vanagon h-pipe leak and coolant dump, in Utica ny Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Last night while attempting to move across the country in our vanagon, our h-pipe cracked/burst, leading to tons of white smoke and an almost instantly or concurrently hot engine. I had been watching the gauge but after six hours I can't say that I had looked for a but before the smoke started.

I am posting two questions, does anyone in the area have a h-pipe I could quickly get my hands on, or can they suggest a local mechanic. I'm a little stuck here with a less than pleased wife and three year old any good news would make my day.

We dropped it off at a service shop and they also suggested that we replace the water pump (it is extremely loud) and thermostat. Seems reasonable in some ways but also like they are jumping the gun.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 vanagon h-pipe leak and coolant dump, in Utica ny Reply with quote

if this is the H- Pipe http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1359

I have a fine used one of unknown age here just north of Syracuse, NY.
I can drive it out to you tonight if you call me (I sent a PM with my number)

I 'may' have a water pump, I'll have to check.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 vanagon h-pipe leak and coolant dump, in Utica ny Reply with quote

talked with him and it's at a local VW dealership. unsure if they know what they're doing.

I'm going to run a H pipe out to them shortly. a used one, but they'll have one tonight.

I'm not familiar with anyone in the area with vanagon specific knowledge
the only one I can think of possibly.

Bruno in Lee center does some classic VW repairs.
Brunos Garage  
Auto Repair Shop
Address: 5237 Streun Rd, Lee Center, NY 13363
Phone:(315) 339-6874
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 vanagon h-pipe leak and coolant dump, in Utica ny Reply with quote

checking in, any updates to your van?

Thanks.
Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: