Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound Ordnance sub
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Sound Ordnance sub Reply with quote

Hey folks-
I could have tacked this on to a couple of other threads, but as the search for "Sound Ordnance" doesn't come up with much, I thought I would start a fresh thread. I installed their B-8PTD sub (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html) today in my '86 weekender. Man, it is as though VW made that area under the driver's seat specifically to fit this thing. It's nice and snug, and connecting everything is super simple- I ran the audio and sense wires under the carpet, and the battery connection to the Weekender's aux battery was a cinch. I was nervous that such a shallow sub would leave me wanting more, but this thing sounds great. This is my second Vanagon (old one was a tintop) and it's kinda incredible to me to have such decent sound in one of these old beasts.

I am recording engineer and musician by trade, and while this sub is certainly not high end, I think any of you looking for better sound in your van will be very happy with this sub. The fact that it is a dead nuts simple install in a location that you would otherwise not be using is just icing on the cake. A bonus was that my new receiver (Pioneer MVH-X560BT) allowed for various high pass settings, which coupled with the sub's phase and crossover settings really let me dial the sound in.

Basically, if you are an average listener looking for a simple, elegant solution to better sound in the van, I think this thing is money.

Cheers,
Ryan
Some people call him Maurice...

Last edited by ledogboy on Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD in a few vehicles. I didn't find it to be quite enough in my '87 Wolfsbug at highway speeds, but it does the trick well in my '06 Subaru Forester.

It is definitely a well built, easy to install unit and would undoubtedly work well for people who don't listen to a lot of bass driven music. Since reggae and bluegrass tend to be my go-to genres these days, I tend to look for a bit more bump than the 8" low profile sub has to offer.

With a little bit of soundproofing in the doors and floors, the B-8PTD might have done the trick for me as well.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay-
I definitely am not a hip hop guy- my tastes run from classic rock to punk, folk, jazz, funk and such. So, I'm not looking to shake the neighbors, I just want the bottom octave to actually exist. I had the sub set pretty low and was actually worried that it was too much. I haven't done freeway miles yet, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't hang. I'll definitely update if my feelings change, but I'm pretty impressed thusfar.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying one of these in my Quattro's trunk for a year or so, and had already planned to audition it in the Van to see if I should buy one for it as well. Thanks for the review - sounds like it is a good value for filling out the bottom end in the Van, then. I was also going to put it under the seat where I measured it to be a perfect fit. Did you eliminate the foam under it? I was planning to remove the foam and essentially stick it to the metal floor for maximum performance (the foam can let the woofer box dig in momentary on big hits instead of moving the cone all the way).

Anyhow, good news. Does the Pioneer fit all the way into the dash? I'm thinking about a Pioneer that will not and wondered what a spacer would look like...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried Focal's version ($$$) of the same style sub?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051EKDHK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1401605667&sr=8-1
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will never be a single 8" low profile sub that will shake the neighbors (or even rattle my rearview mirror), but I know exactly what you mean. I play bass (electric and upright), so I have become hyper-critical of a tight, clear low end over the years. I don't care if my system can't get down to the sub-audible levels of a Roland 808 hit, but if it comes from a string instrument of any type, it really has to be fully present for me to enjoy the music completely.

My friend Sarah has the Focal 8" mounted in the back of her Subaru Outback. It definitely has more punch than any of the other low profile 8" subs I have heard (most likely due to a more sensitive woofer based on other Focal products), but I couldn't justify the $500.00 price tag for that level of performance.

Crutchfield is currently showing the Focal sub with "Call to Order", which might mean that they have a killer discount available. Google shopping brings it up at $249.00, which would be a really nice price.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Does the Pioneer fit all the way into the dash? I'm thinking about a Pioneer that will not and wondered what a spacer would look like...

DougM

This is a digital media player without a CD so it is about half the depth of the regular unit. I like mine alot.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the Pioneer is a digital media player. So far, I like it quite a bit. It has a bunch of silly color/dancing lights options, but you can turn those features off. The sound coming out of the 4" door speakers is definitely improved over the JVC CD player that was removed.

Was there originally foam underneath the front seat? If so, it was removed by the PO. I put a little scrap of MLV I had leftover under the sub to prevent rattles, but I never tested it without to see if rattling was actually a problem.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wondered about the Focal, but frankly that's kinda pushing my commitment to having quality sound in the Van into the "Do I really want to drop THAT much on a single component" zone. 4" speakers in the doors, and the sub under the driver's seat and a new head unit and I'm happy. Even the speakers in the rear are a possible omission as my kids are always saying "Dad, can you turn that down?". So, I'll wire the head unit so later I can add rear speakers if the above turns out to suck without pulling the head unit.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Crutchfield is currently showing the Focal sub with "Call to Order", which might mean that they have a killer discount available. Google shopping brings it up at $249.00, which would be a really nice price.

Exactly right... and ordered! I figure 1/2 price is as good as its gonna get. Thanks for the tip Jay!

This should pair up nicely with the two 6.5" Focals (separates with the tweeters in the OEM speaker area and woofers lower down on the door) and two 4" Focals in the back overhead OEM speaker location. I definitely don't need Earth shattering bass either, but I do enjoy quality sound even when (or... especially when) listening at lower volumes with my kids in the back.

FWIW… I also have a newer Alpine BT head unit and a tiny Alpine amp powering the speakers. Honestly Embarassed it already sounds pretty darn good w/o the 8" sub Very Happy .

Can't wait to hear the Pono player hooked up to this system later this year!!!
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered mine today before seeing this thread so this is re-assuring. Right now you can get them on Crutchfield for 159.

I got a Kenwood head, 4" Pioneers for the front and dual 5 1/4" for the rear. Now I just need to see where to put the subwoofer. My seats have batteries in them so I need to find a place to stash this sub.

Any ideas?

Here's the setup that I ordered:

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X897
Pioneer TS-D1002R 4" 2-way speakers
Pioneer TS-D1302R 5-1/4" 2-Way Speakers
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Powered 8" Subwoofer
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub goes under seat not back where your battery is.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image pulled from a older thread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah perfect!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: