Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Detroit to Alaska Adventure!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gas can that's on its side, anything in it? Shocked

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most intense pic on the samba I have ever seen!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it! Down and dirty.

Better than most of the sissy book stories in print. I love the dog walking next to the ceiling picture.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked and you forgot to mention the (oh by the way) fire? d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

I set my GF's boy's beetle on fire with the same stunt. AMAZING how fast you can move under those circumstances.

AND ya the dogs got that WTF look on his face--kinda like ("Dad can we have a talk?")

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seizure66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip, thanks for taking the time to get the bus out and taking us along. busmike nailed it with the poem. Forget the critics. You did everything right.
charley497
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: fire Reply with quote

Holy cow,
You have to give the Aussie credit, your on fire and he still gets the picture. This thread is amazing. Smile
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: fire Reply with quote

charley497 wrote:
Holy cow,
You have to give the Aussie credit, your on fire and he still gets the picture. This thread is amazing. Smile

Agreed & this quote cracks me up!
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: fire Reply with quote

charley497 wrote:
Holy cow,

I would have given him more credit if he helped put the fire out instead of just filming it! And luckily, it was a rubber glove on fire - I don't think I even had a hair burned! That was a hell of a day!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God! You were probably less than 10 seconds from losing the whole bus with that engine fire. I Never drive an ACVW without an easily accessible fire extinguisher. Haven't had to use one yet, luckily. (Touch wood).

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest here? Hows the Bus and driver back in the D?
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Staels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just spent a few hours reading the whole thread. Best VW story ever, kudos to surviving the whole trip while enduring every possible mechanical nightmare! Heartbreaking plot twists and epic pictures!

Hope to see more adventures from you in the future!

I'm currently in Detroit, live in Belgium, nice to see that there are some VW enthousiasts around here, also visited Munks garage yesterday to find parts for my bus while I'm here. Great city!
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic adventure, I couldn't stop reading once I started. Thanks for posting your story, hope you do make it out east!
adamhooligancopeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a story, i just read the whole thing and its truly amazing. I love seeing these vehicles being used. I too would love to hear an update of the bus, i really hope this wasnt her last adventure. Good for you!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the props and well wishes! Its not our last adventure by any means! Unfortunately i havent touched it since I arrived back in Detroit! I have a long list of things to do before we're back on the road - engine, rebuild front door, fridge,....who knows what else! Frankie dog and myself were couped up inside most the winter so we're anxious to get back on the road! Im not sure where we are going to go, but frankie suggested maine and the east coast while kevin from edmonton suggested the labrador road(?) through quebec and new foundland! I mean.... what could go wrong?? Hah!!
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Reply with quote

Just finished reading all 22 pages and wow talk about amazing. My favorite thread I've ever read on any forum site! You fixed stuff on the side of the road and 1000s of miles away from home that would take a lot of people all winter in their own garage.... Job well done.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Reply with quote

Pete,
What a tale indeed. Through the ups and downs, the pure adventure made me think of dreams and ambitions as a kid, wishing to explore the world. YOU DID IT MAN!
To have faith in your equipment, your bus, and mainly yourself to adventure out into the unknown, the impossible amounts of uncertainty and tribulations, I am sincerely grateful I came across this thread. You are a bad dude. And a humble one at that.
I will always remember to share you story when people think they’ve been on an adventure in their bus...

“I knew a guy, quit his job, found himself and his Splitty bouncing 10,000 miles down the backroads of North America, meeting hitchhikers from across the globe, experiencing life and love, uncertainty and pain. To find himself and his ideology of living, to be indeed validated by the measures of a little gas and the open round of the Alaskan Highway.”
Much love to you, years after your epic tale, inspiring is an understatement.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Reply with quote

Great post and sentiments, SamboSamba22. This is the type of adventure I have been dreaming of taking in my bus for more than 20 years now. Good on you for having the wherewithal do just go for it. Truly inspiring.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
Hey thanks for all the props and well wishes! Its not our last adventure by any means! Unfortunately i havent touched it since I arrived back in Detroit! I have a long list of things to do before we're back on the road - engine, rebuild front door, fridge,....who knows what else! Frankie dog and myself were couped up inside most the winter so we're anxious to get back on the road! Im not sure where we are going to go, but frankie suggested maine and the east coast while kevin from edmonton suggested the labrador road(?) through quebec and new foundland! I mean.... what could go wrong?? Hah!!

Great reading. Thanks for posting the highs and lows of your trip. The people are waiting for the a (the first?) Trans Labrador Highway split window bus trip thread.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Reply with quote

Were I told this story and not read it with your pictures, I would have hoisted the Bullshit pennant from the highest mast. Amazing!

True grit, you.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Reply with quote

Hey, Pete. Parked next to you at Ypsilanti; You suggested I check this thread out. Finally made it all the way thru. Awesome! Did some distance back in the Dead tour days but nothing like that. -side note- anybody know what happened to JB aka Bummerman from Oshkosh? Another old-time hi-miler.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: