Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing new door cards – any techniques?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

I am installing new TMI door cards on our 1974 KG Coupe. Good news is this is one of the last items to do following a thorough multi-year restoration. Almost done. Bad news is this is a pain in the butt. Wondering if I doing something wrong.

Is there a technique to aligning all the clips? Do I just need to be more patient? I have searched but may not be using the right words… Or maybe I’m just getting impatient… open to suggestions…

I am door cards and rear parcel tray hinges away from calling this car done. Photos and maybe video to follow...

Matt
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Is there a technique to aligning all the clips? Do I just need to be more patient?

No special technique...just hold the card up to the door and align each clip one-at-a-time.

Don't forget to put a moisture barrier in place as well. Some medium-weight plastic sheeting works well for this. And remember to tuck the lower edge of the sheet inside the door cavity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

One thing to remember is to place the clips on the cards followed with the plastic plugs over the top. You then can push the plugs into the holes and without dealing with potentially scratching the fresh paint on the visible areas of the door.

Yes the vapor barrier is a must. Here's a photo of an original door and its vapor barrier. Pay attention to how the plastic tucks into the bottom of the door. In the photo you can see how the glue had let go of the plastic around the release lever. Just follow the yellow glue lines to reveal where the plastic attaches. The glue is just contact adhesive. The vapour barrier has a vertical slit cut to permit separate tucks into the forward and real openings.

When I redid mine I just used 3M double sided clear tape. Adhesive technology has moved forward significantly in 50 years.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
I am installing new TMI door cards on our 1974 KG Coupe. Good news is this is one of the last items to do following a thorough multi-year restoration. Almost done. Bad news is this is a pain in the butt. Wondering if I doing something wrong.

Is there a technique to aligning all the clips? Do I just need to be more patient? I have searched but may not be using the right words… Or maybe I’m just getting impatient… open to suggestions…

I am door cards and rear parcel tray hinges away from calling this car done. Photos and maybe video to follow...

Matt

I have a set of TMI door cards. The cardboard is very brittle and the clips are prone to damaging the board around the holes. After years of clips coming out of their holes, I first lined them up with their holes, and then glued them into their holes using a glue gun. I put the rubber sleeves on the clips before I installed the door cards. With Vaseline as a lubricant.

One of the many jobs done repeatedly before I found a solution that worked for me.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

i do it slightly differently, after gluing up the plastic, I put all the plastic plugs in the holes, using a box cutter to slit the plastic so is doesn't get pulled around. I use a philips head screw driver to push in the plugs.
Sometimes some vinyl needs to be trimmed back near the holes in the board so the clips can go on easily. I slightly open up new clips with a screwdriver so they slide into the hole reasonably easily (using my fingers).
Then, importantly, I line up every single clip with its hole.
I have found sometimes I have had to scrape/trim the hole in the board so the clip would line up with the hole properly (TMI boards). Then start from the bottom get some clips in, a block of wood with a hammer helps sometimes and doesn't damage the vinyl. Work your way up the sides a couple of clips. Then put the spring on the winder, do a couple at the top and then finish the sides and the top. Good luck and see tell us what worked for you Smile
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

Quote:
vapor barrier is a must

I used some thick sheeting, originally for a vapor barrier under a house (I've use a new shower curtain before) I didn't run the plastic over the bottom, as suggested. Learn from my mistake I have. I first used double side tape, then the plastic, the duct tape. Works great.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

I put new TMI door cards on my Bug last spring, and I found that the original clips worked 100% better. The brand new clips would bend and chew up the door card material, which is not as durable as the OG door cards. I put the rubber plugs in the door before trying to install the door card. Be careful pushing the clips into the door. I used a folded over cloth over the push point, otherwise you will see the imprint of the clip through the vinyl. Be patient, and good luck!
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I learned a few things, particularly about the vapor barrier. But have a question about the rubber plugs – I think I’m reading that some people are installing in a different order.

- Plugs in the door holes and then press in the clips already installed on the door card

Or

- Clips in the door card. Put the rubber plugs on the clips and then press into the door holes.

I started by installing the rubber plugs into the door holes first and then tried to insert the clips into the rubber. I had no luck so decided to remove the rubber plugs. Unless I misunderstood, I'll try putting the putting the rubber on the clips and then inserting into the door holes. Sounds like people have had success different ways...

Thanks,
Matt
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
.....Or

- Clips in the door card. Put the rubber plugs on the clips and then press into the door holes.....

Kevin Fergusson "The Aussie Trimmer" who makes those lovely replica door cards, gave me this advice and I found it works really well. Others have indeed found their equally successful way to skin this particular cat. Exploring what works for you will bring your own brand of winning.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

sputnick60 - i plan to do it the way you (and others) described. I've gotten as far as I can on this trip to work on the car. I'll give it another shot in about a month when I get back to where the car is located...

Thanks
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new door cards – any techniques? Reply with quote

This thread brings up an interesting question. Back in 2020, I had bought clips and plugs in preparation to install original door cards in my 71 vert. When I looked up the clips, I was told I also needed plugs, and sure enough the description for the plugs do say "for Beetle and Ghia". However, I've found no evidence that Karmann Ghia door / door cards use the plastic or rubber plugs. I'm not sure if the factory did plugs on some years but then eventually stopped using them though?

I bought two sets of original 1971 door cards and both sets came with quite a few clips still attached to the door cards and not one clip had a plug on it. I had assumed that the plugs would have stayed in the doors, but 2 years ago, I had access to a 1971 vert in a salvage yard and it still had it's original (but rotted door cards). I removed the door cards to remove the door glass and I was surprised that there was no plugs on either door. These door cards had at the very least been removed since the vapor barriers were gone, but everything else was original.

I also have a complete intact 1969 Ghia door which is all original except missing the door card. There is not any plugs on the door nor any signs of a plug ever having been on the door. I would think the plugs would at least have left behind some circular marks or discoloration after 50+ years?

Today I pulled back a corner on my 68 Vert which has never been taken apart. It only has 23K miles and is completely original including the paint. There is no plug.

I don't think the later Ghias had plugs for the door card clips. Is there any evidence out there that some earlier Ghia's did have plugs?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: