Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time! I did it again. I bought another Karmann Ghia Online. Embarassed

Early on April 28th, a 1968 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Cabriolet came up for sale near Nashville Tennessee. The ad stated 22,352 original miles with an Auto Stick. Mostly all original paint. "The Real Deal" said the ad. The pictures are beautiful. Here's the online dealer's ad:
https://www.jpfrazier.com/vehicles/645/1968-volkswagen-karmann-ghia

I certainly wasn't in the market for another KG so I posted a link to the ad on the "BAT Karmann Ghia" thread and also even PM'd a member who is on the look out for a Vert. As it turned out, that evening my wife made the big mistake of telling me: "Buy it if that's what you want" ! Shocked She must really be sick of hearing me talk about Ghias?? Laughing I don't recall much of what happened after that? It's all a blur. Laughing Laughing but a few hours later, I had done it again!

The car arrived at 11pm last night! Not happy about the scheduling of the delivery, but we had been waiting since early evening so there wasn't going to be much sleep until this car was in the garage.
I must have that often spoken about "Fever"! Embarassed

Regatta Blue looks quite light in the dealers photos, so I was very surprised when it arrived. It's nothing like the bright pictures posted in the ad (as with some other things in the ad - but that's a long story so I'll save it for later). When the driver opened the trailer and turned on the lights, I was quite surprised with the color. I think "Pastel" Blue would be a better description. It's really quite sharp, and I couldn't be happier with the color. The car had been stored with a collection of other vintage and antique cars in New Mexico since 1999. She looks great in the photos, but there's lots of imperfections in the paint. Most of the rubber is ok, but not perfect by any means. But she looks great over all.

The car is as the dealer stated, "The Real Deal" and he even put it in writing on the "Odometer Statement". It still has all it's original rubber, glass, interior, dash, and even it's original spare white wall tire, jack and complete tool kit. Very little has been touched on the car. The dash and pads are like new with no cracks anywhere. There's been some minor repaired body damage and it suffered a small tap on the front nose which has not been repaired. Unfortunately it's floor mats, boot, owners manual, and trunk liner are all missing. The dealer is trying to see if the prior owner might locate these and I'm in hopes they will turn up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's some pictures taken today. I took her out for a 13 mile drive. She drives very solid. Brakes feel great. The Auto stick works perfect other than the idle is a bit high so it clunks into gear when taking off from a stop. It's had an oil change, and other minor maintenance but it needs a thorough going through mechanically after mostly sitting for the last 23 years. Yes, I know, that fuel filter needs to be moved out of the engine compartment. Mad

There is an electrical problem however. I can't tell if it's not charging the battery or if there's something else going on? I almost got stuck on the road today but managed to make it back home. Last night it had a dead battery and we had to push it off the trailer and into the garage. I had to swap out the battery to get it going today and I thought I was all set but at my last stop, it took 3 tries to get it to turn over. I turn the key and all I get is lights on the dash, and nothing else. No clicking, no grinding, nothing!
When I pulled back into the garage, the red light came on and it I have not been able to get it started since. I've had the original battery (dated 2020), charging all day so I put it in and it still won't start. All connections are clean and snug, they've been off and on several times. hte dealer mentioned it recently had a new generator and carburetor. I see the voltage regulator also looks new so someone was chasing a problem?

I'm having trouble thinking up a suitable name. I keep going back to "Regatta". Sounds more like a name than a color? Think

I plan to keep her all original. No restoration, just upkeep and preservation maintenance. I want to enjoy driving a Karmann Ghia this summer as Vermont's driving season is so short. I can get back to work on OGhia (my 71 vert) in the fall or when ever I have free time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a few oddities that I've not seen very often if at all. One is the mirror on the drivers door has a long neck that I've never seen before. Might it be from a Type 3 or a Beetle? The passenger side has a short? Like they're reversed? Everything is original so I can only imagine that the dealer installed it this way. I thought after 67, door mirrors through the end of production were all the same but now I'm noticing that the 68/69 and possibly some 70 mirrors have a different back side where the neck meets the mirror. From the front they look the same though. Also the radio antenna is on the passenger side. I was given a title from 1999 when the car went from Southampton NY to New Mexico, but the title doesn't show mileage. Apparently the car was never registered again after 1999. I don't know where the original dealer was. I hope to find out more history on the car in time.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc

Last edited by Marcdeb on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Oh man! If I wasn't on the other side of the world I would have tried to buy that Ghia myself.

Congratulations and best of luck with your purchase.

I'm looking out my window -the sun is shining - and the blue of your Ghia is exactly the same colour (color!) as the sky. Simply beautiful.
SCG9860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Wow! It looks fantastic. Congratulations to you. Here's to many hours of happy motoring.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Oh man! If I wasn't on the other side of the world I would have tried to buy that Ghia myself.

Congratulations and best of luck with your purchase.

I'm looking out my window -the sun is shining - and the blue of your Ghia is exactly the same colour (color!) as the sky. Simply beautiful.

Thank you,
I'm excited and anxious at the same time. I have at times been overly trusting of salesman and been taken before. I'm not the superstitious type, but it feels like I was meant to have this car. A few months ago, for some strange reason, I bought a 68 owners manual that came with the separately printed addendum for the AutoStick, which I think is hard to find. VW didn't include the AutoStick literature into the manual until 69. And the first piece of VW literature I bought after buying my first Ghia was a mint 1968 Ghia Brochure. Idea

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

SCG9860 wrote:
Wow! It looks fantastic. Congratulations to you. Here's to many hours of happy motoring.

Thank you,
Have to figure out this dead battery problem before I dare go out again.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Wow congratulations! Looks like a great find!

I have that exact same car sitting in pieces in my garage right now - nice to see one all together and on the road...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

That car is insanely gorgeous! What a great score Applause

Love that color too...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Well done! A good car in a great color. Looks plenty bright- nearly gulf blue in most lights and perfect on an open top Ghia. That dash is a dream to those of us stuck with replacing that wood grain skin.

The charging/starting issue I'm sure is minor. The mirror does stick out further than the original mirror on my '68 Ghia- but perhaps you can actually SEE out of yours. I hate how they have to be tipped up like that... My antenna is mounted on the passenger side as well- clearly the more common choice among all VWs back in the day. In most cases, it's harder for a dealer prep monkey to screw up factory wiring by avoiding that side of the car in my opinion.

As for names- I'd have to go with Ragatta... Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

nice ghia! the autostick clunking is most likely not a result of the high idle., although that can cause it. but more likely the control unit screw needs adjsustment.
pop off the plastic screw cover on top of vacuum valve control unit and turn it clock wise to slow speed of clutch engagement, and counter clockwise to increase speed. dont make it to slow or your driving shifts will be slow, just turn it like 1/4 turn at a time until it doesn't clunk
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Thats a beauty! Love the color. My Late Mothers favorite color.
Have you considered "In-a-Regatta-da-Ghia(Vida)"?

Link

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marc, I am so happy you bought this car - what a sweet original ride. You scored big, my friend. Blue Ghias rule!
Very Happy
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
SCG9860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

"Have you considered "In-a-Regatta-da-Ghia(Vida)"?

That's classic.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
Wow congratulations! Looks like a great find!

I have that exact same car sitting in pieces in my garage right now - nice to see one all together and on the road...

Thank you.
Small world isn't it?
If you need pictures to help along the way, just ask.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
nice ghia! the autostick clunking is most likely not a result of the high idle., although that can cause it. but more likely the control unit screw needs adjsustment.
pop off the plastic screw cover on top of vacuum valve control unit and turn it clock wise to slow speed of clutch engagement, and counter clockwise to increase speed. dont make it to slow or your driving shifts will be slow, just turn it like 1/4 turn at a time until it doesn't clunk

Thanks for that valuable information. I will try that adjustment as soon as I can get the generator/battery sorted out.
Today is the first time I've driven an AutoStick and I like it. Very fun.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

obus wrote:
Thats a beauty! Love the color. My Late Mothers favorite color.
Have you considered "In-a-Regatta-da-Ghia(Vida)"?

Thanks obus. That's great. Regatta has her own song!! Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marc, I am so happy you bought this car - what a sweet original ride. You scored big, my friend. Blue Ghias rule!
Very Happy

Thanks Diane,
I have so much to learn about this wonderful Ghia. Way too fun. Tonight I finally found the paint code decal hiding between the spare tire and the gas tank. And the spare tire looks brand new. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Very Happy

Thanks Diane,
I have so much to learn about this wonderful Ghia. Way too fun. Tonight I finally found the paint code decal hiding between the spare tire and the gas tank. And the spare tire looks brand new. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

I see you and raise you..... Blue Ghia Verts rule! Laughing
That's a lovely Ghia and I'm pleased you will get to enjoy it.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Very Happy

Thanks Diane,

I see you and raise you..... Blue Ghia Verts rule! Laughing
That's a lovely Ghia and I'm pleased you will get to enjoy it.

Nicholas

Thank you Nicholas,
It's incredible to see cars like this one resurface after so many years in hiding. I'm learning a lot from this car. It really is like seeing what a new Karmann Ghia was like 54 years ago. I sit very low in my 71 Vert and I thought it was normal, but in this car, I sit much higher and have a more comfortable view of the road. The doors have a nice solid "clunk" when they close, not a clangy bang sound. It is surprisingly very solid on the road as well.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

A very nice acquisition, I'm pretty sure it's in excellent hands.

If I may suggest, the photos should be put placed in the samba archive so that one can use as a reference since this car is virtually untouched Smile

I have a similar 71 to yours, how does the drive compare 1500 vs 1600 dp?

Thanks in advance.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
A very nice acquisition, I'm pretty sure it's in excellent hands.

If I may suggest, the photos should be put placed in the samba archive so that one can use as a reference since this car is virtually untouched Smile

I have a similar 71 to yours, how does the drive compare 1500 vs 1600 dp?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you. Yes it is in good hands and I will leave it as original as possible. I don't plan to take anything apart unless needed. Amazing to how thiis car has been around for 54 years and still be mostly untouched.

I think it's not a good comparison right now since I'm sure it's not had a good tune up in quite a while and right now it's most likely running on Ethynol gas from Tennessee before being shipped. I put only Ethynol free gas in my 71. Plus they don't have the same transmissions, but from the few miles I've driven on both of them, I can say there's a difference but as they stand right now, it's not a huge difference. The AutoStick has a Low, 1st and 2nd and what I've read says to start in 1st gear. Since it has a torque converter, it can be driven from a dead start up to 35 or so without doing any shifting. So running around town can basically be like a typical automatic. It can also be driven like a normal stick by starting in Low and shifting up and down using all 3 gears, basically treating it like a 3 speed standard but without having to operate the clutch, like more of a sport use. Yesterday I drove it more like a standard always taking off in low and shifting up and down. I reached 50+ mpg and it was a fun drive. It's pretty cool to shift without having to use a clutch.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: