Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

box of Ghia parts to identify
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: box of Ghia parts to identify Reply with quote

Sorting through boxes that came with a car. Any help with ID or questions just jump right in. well crap, thought I had these numbered in the pictures but hopefully you can figure it out.

1. door hinge?
2. fan shroud parts?
3. don't know
4. don't know
5. don't know. heater box parts?
6. don't know. round item, screen on back.
7. sumps. 2 sizes. assume to get more oil volume, but why if engine properly cooled.
8. don't know anything about twin carbs but assume these are it's associated linkage parts?
9. 2 metal cylinders, about 2" long. Thick walled.
10. would this be the original model radio for a 1971 vw
11. would this have been the original type

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: box of Ghia parts to identify Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Sorting through boxes that came with a car. Any help with ID or questions just jump right in. well crap, thought I had these numbered in the pictures but hopefully you can figure it out.

1. door hinge? Yes
2. fan shroud parts? No, bumper bracket covers
3. don't know. Not a VW part
4. don't know Bumper backing plate. Used where the separate bumper sections mate up behind the uprights.
5. don't know. heater box parts? Actuator arms for heater boxes
6. don't know. round item, screen on back. ??? Doesn't look like a standard VW part
7. sumps. 2 sizes. assume to get more oil volume, but why if engine properly cooled. Yes, deep sumps for those who feel better with more oil. Popular with racers.
8. don't know anything about twin carbs but assume these are it's associated linkage parts? This is a Kadron dual 40mm carb kit...or most of it anyway. Kit also included air filters.
9. 2 metal cylinders, about 2" long. Thick walled. Used to repair the very end of the heater boxes where they join the muffler.
10. would this be the original model radio for a 1971 vw? Yes, Sapphire radios were a dealer-installed option in VWs for years.
11. would this have been the original type? Yes, standard on many 1600cc motors. Good carbs...worth rebuilding.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: box of Ghia parts to identify Reply with quote

Thank you!
jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: box of Ghia parts to identify Reply with quote

#3 might be an aftermarket receiver for the older style clamshell seatbelts. Would mount over the tunnel just behind the front seats, and the driver and pax clamshells would clip to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: box of Ghia parts to identify Reply with quote

#3 definitely works with the seatbelts, I have one with my 71 but did not reuse for my rebuild. If I remember correctly, as John said it mounts on the tunnel and I believe it helped route the belts but can't remember how since my Ghia hasn't been original since I bought it in '93.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: