Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Photos of your stereo head unit if it sticks out of dash?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Photos of your stereo head unit if it sticks out of dash? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting the head unit I want and the Van needs a shallow mount that eliminates 95% of them. Anybody have a head unit that doesn't fit flush so I can see how it will look. Crutchfield says it will stick a half inch out or more for most of their CD players. I'm getting a CD player and the one I prefer is not a shallow mount, so just looking for a photo of what I'll have to deal with. Tx!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Kenwood and Pioneer CD player head units in my van; both fit flush, albeit with no room to spare in the back of them. (Dumped the Kenwood 'cuz it sucked; replaced it with a Pioneer, which is now going into my Cabriolet... van got a non-CD head unit.)

FWIW, I prefer SonicElectronix.com over Crutchfield. Why? Far more options for radios and speakers. Crutchfield brings up just 13 single-DIN radios for a Vanagon; Sonic Electronix lists 209.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug-

Like Kamzcab, my standard size CD head unit fits without sticking out, though it's a tight squeeze in the rear. The rear (stock) mounting point for the head unit is unused - I cut it off when I had the dash out and gained a wee bit more room (still fit before I cut it off). This is the 2nd CD unit (1st Kenwood, 2nd Alpine) and both fit . . . initially with speakers connected directly, then with RCA preamp outs. Just take time and organize/route the bundle of wires as you insert the deck. You can use the ash tray hole to see what you're doing, and remove the glove box to get at the rear of the deck to manage some of the wires. Lots of connections & wires on the back of my Alpine, but it fits flush.

X2 on Sonic . . . . . where I got all my stuff . . . . . head unit, amp, sub, speakers, etc. Good pricing, free shipping.

Jed
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have been wondering about the fit issue. I don't see Samba folks mentioning they could not get an ordinary every day CD player in, but that's what a couple retailers tell me. Didn't put anything in the Syncro I had, so no experience. Thanks. Suspect I can jam it in by bending that sheetmetal rear mount and thanks for the suggestions on the other seller and on routing wire specifically with rear space in mind.

DougM

PS If anyone DOES have one sticking out a bit am still curious about what it looks like. Tx
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip out that old piece of metal that used to hold the stock radio. It's just in your way. I used a hole saw to cut a hole in my heater box(don't go to far in or you'll poke a hole in the heater core) to make room for RCA cables that exit the rear of my head unit. I then used some A/C duct tape to form the recess for the RCA's. It's that easy. We're not makin' watches here...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip out the metal bracket.
I have installed standard alpine and sony units in a few vans without them sticking out in any way. The hardest part of installing a stereo upgrade is getting front door speakers to clear the dash.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
We're not makin' watches here...

Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Round here we express that appreciated sentiment by saying "It's not rocket science..."

Heading out with a flashlight to look at the bracket more closely. I have destruction on my mind. I definitely want a particular Pioneer unit in my Van because I put the exact one in the Quattro last year and I'm too feeble minded to have 5 cars with different modern stereos with blinking disco lights and multifunction buttons the size of ground pepper. If I can have at least TWO cars I can jump into and click to play something while backing out the driveway, juggling a coffee cup, patting my pockets to confirm I have my cell phone, clicking the garage closer and avoiding my son's skateboard, I'll consider that a small victory in life.

DougM
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing a few head uints into Vanagons I have found the following.

Earlier Vanagons have a narrower Radio Hole.. So you may need to do some slight trimming.

The metal strap in the rear of the Radio hole is where the back of the original radio parked itself. On 84's and earlier the metal strap can be removed easily via the screws in the small vent that looks like a speaker grill behind the ash tray.

Why a CD player, they are rapidly going the way of the 8 Track.

Most Van owners are using Bluetooth, AUX, and USB ports to play there tunes form I-phones, Droids, Pandora, Tablets, etc

If you do use the CD Player most will darn near park themselves against the Plastic Heater Box. Your have all the trouble your need trying to get the head unit set correctly especially with cables, etc. There Tight.

You may even need to use a heat gun to work and reshape the heater box.

Also the newer High output Indash Radios run much hotter then the ones just a few years ago.

If you pull your ash tray and reach your hand back to the rear of the Radio some run so hot that your swore you burnt your fingers.

Another reason why to go with one of the newer short Non CD Head unit Radios. They have all the Bells but without the CD player. Besides your have less heat and extra wiring space and air circulation to keep your tunes cool.

Unless your one of those that still have a CD twilling from there rear view CD's are going rapidly. Heck you could probably load your entire music library onto a small thumb drive and never have to load or eject another CD.

My next Head Unit will be like Kam, and others are using. The newer Non CD units that are only a few inches deep, besides I can't even remember last time I did use my CD player Rolling Eyes

Oh-oooo and there usually less expensive and much lighter too.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it..
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you forgo the CD player and switch to USB memory player. You can put hundreds of songs on a USB card that costs $10, arranging them in folders for playlists. It uses less electricity because no moving parts or tempermental CD player. They play songs sequentially in disk write order displaying, at the very least, the song title. Best of all, the unit is shallower and they fit in the Vanagon space nicely. I have Alpine X3055 which also has auxiliary headphone jack input and iPhone. But all I use is the 30gb USB card which holds all my music.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
'Round here we express that appreciated sentiment by saying "It's not rocket science..."

Heading out with a flashlight to look at the bracket more closely. I have destruction on my mind. I definitely want a particular Pioneer unit in my Van because I put the exact one in the Quattro last year and I'm too feeble minded to have 5 cars with different modern stereos with blinking disco lights and multifunction buttons the size of ground pepper.
DougM

I so, understand this..I hate my stupid pioneer "HEADUNIT"..should be called
DiKhead unick's ( Designed by GeeK's/WANKERS)
Required a 1/4"(6.0mm) spacer to make it fit
Demo mod=Disco wankers...I hate ABBA
If it does comply with a ONE(1) button command,you'll be lucky. mine takes input /menu/sellect/set..all on a LCD screen thats invisible in sunlight.. Rolling Eyes
Everytime You pull the battery ..the stupid thing will go to "Demo" and take about 10 prompts to SHUT it up Rolling Eyes
Smart tech...My goldfish has better social skills

Last edited by goffoz on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
tempermental CD player. I have Alpine X3055 which also has auxiliary headphone jack input and iPhone. But all I use is the 30gb USB card which holds all my music.

My CD player's have been bullet proof...for 10yrs....USB's sound like shit..down loads Rolling Eyes unreliable..cost per tune$$$ (unless your stealing content Shocked )
Really my daughter's playlist is in the thousands...all sounds like crap next to my old Dire Straits CDs
And everyone loves to sit in the garage and spin some vinyl in the summer Very Happy
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget owing songs...

Just stream everything.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:
Forget owing songs...

Just stream everything.

So I just drove from N.Cal to the grand canyon. and back
...streaming Shocked No
Sirius No
GPS Shocked No
Am Sad ugly
Fm mostly No
CD Very Happy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sticks out about 1 inch. I'll take a pic of it. I put a black elastic band around it to cover up the gap. Plays well, has CD but I tend to use USB sticks unless I want a particular CD i.e. Beach Boys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it strange that everybody seems to have a tough time fitting a standard aftermarket CD player. When I installed the pioneer I currently have in my '88 tintop it didn't seem like a big ordeal. Sure it was tight (all "modern" vws are) but I didn't cut anything or do any reshaping to make it fit. To get around the limited space for the RCA cables for my amp, I used 90 degree adapters found at any reputable stereo shop. Problem solved.

And not to stir the pot but IMO CDs are garbage. Digital music either from a USB, iPhone or streaming from pandora or spotify wins every time. Unlike what was stated above, digital music does not sound bad whatsoever. Sure every now and then you run across a bad quality download and it sounds terrible, but that's not the norm. I find myself streaming music 95% of the time these days in all my vehicles, including my farm tractors. I love the modern technology available. I haven't listened to one of my 400 or so CDs in years now, might as well just throw them out just like we all did with our cassette tapes...
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi, here' some shots of the stock 1989 vanagon cassette deck I just replaced with a Jetta unit and ipod adapter. Looks like exactly 6" from where the rubber nub bottoms out at the back to where the metal tabs bottom out in the dash. I gained an 1/8" by swapping the oem rubber nub on to the replacement stereo (nub on the oem one was a little smaller than the one on the replacement deck). I agree, you can shoehorn most decks in there. Alpine lists a deck at 6 3/8" that probably would fit without the metal bracket. Most other units are smaller.
Personally there's a pioneer media deck (non cd) that I will be going for soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am sure to derail my own post, but there's enough information here to encourage me to get the CD unit and cram it in, so I'm good with that.

As for quality of music, I think there are a few sources with full data sampling of the music, but most of the media sourced music I have listened to is obviously downsampled. Leading me to derail my own thread with these comments.

1) I suspect many of you who can't hear the difference are either too young to have experience with CD or vinyl listening. You grew up with downsampled crap from the internet and it's fine with you.

2) I suspect many of you who can't hear the difference literally can't hear it from hearing damage due to various lifetime listening on headphones, or power tools, or shop noise with no hearing protection. Very common among guys my age.

3) I suspect many of you youngsters don't have a system that can accurately reproduce music. You grew up with the "boom car" being the envy of your peer group and naturally gravitated to speakers and systems that artificially boost the bass notes and consider that cool and good music. One of the frequency ranges that seems decimated by poor sampling cheap internet download stuff is the higher end, which many youngsters really couldn't give a crap about in their desire to be the car at a stoplight with all its trunk trim rattling like a broken calliope organ. Since that "scalped" musical file outsells CDs 100:1 the market place has spoken and I get it, just not for me.

So, no I am not making the switch to "iTunes" level junk. I love the form factor of the CD, and I love the quality of musical reproduction they provide. I have been part of the audio evaluation groups for major automakers and the trend toward junk listening with a heavy bass note has been going on for a while. Current musicians mix their music for it, by the way - they know the way music is delivered to the consumer, and that the consumer wants their 15" sub activated all the time so everyone knows they are cool cats. I get that not everyone can appreciate the nuance here, but that's fine as well - room for all.

And I'm sure someone will reply that X website or their brother in law's musical gallery provides full sampling of music and I'm all wet. I'm sure they exist, but I'm not interested in getting halfway across country with a bunch of music only to discover the Dire Straights album I bought and downloaded is crap. Life is too short to be screwing around trying to find a good version of this or that. I just walk into my local music store like I have been for decades and buy a CD that truly rocks.

Rant off....

DougM

Geo - thanks for the measurements and photos. Based on those I think it will fit..
andymcc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Amen to all that Doug !

FWIW I'm just fitting a late-90's VW Gamma 5 head unit, with 6-disc CD changer under the LH front seat. Used the complete radio/CD part of the donor harness which had all the ISO plugs fully-populated.

The Gamma *just* fits, but will need a little work to clear the antenna socket which otherwise rests against the heater box. I plan a little re-shaping with a hot-air gun.

Next jobs will be to change the dash lighting to match the Gamma, then swap my current Passat dash panel for an A6 one with full FIS, fit the bulb-out relay, and wire that and the head unit to the FIS display. Wish me luck with that..

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: am-fm Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Mine is out 1/2 an inch, works great, looks good, but dam I must be old it is still a tape player! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: