Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

To link to post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596832&highlight=id]Mirror Rear View ID T2[/url]

68 only Rear View Mirror 211 857 501A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 only Rear View Mirror 211 857 501B

Day Night (anti-dazzle) Rear View Mirror. 70-79 Style

Note the day night was an option.

77 Westfalia Rear View Mirror.

Question: note the round base near the mount. What years did these fit?

Champagne Edition II

68-79 Rear View Mirrors, Inside
211 857 501A 68
211 857 501B 69
361 857 513 68-69 Rubber buffer
211 857 501C 69
211 857 501G 70-71 Day Night (anti-dazzle)
261 857 501 71
211 857 501H 72-79
211 857 501J 72-79
??? 857 501? 78 Champagne Edition II in brown

Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 am; edited 4 times in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champagne Edition rear view mirror

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
... 69 only Rear View Mirror 211 857 501B

... Tcash

As a point of interest, 211 857 501B is noted as '69 only. Is there any other mirror that will replace my '69 camper rear view mirror?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

As a point of interest, 211 857 501B is noted as '69 only. Is there any other mirror that will replace my '69 camper rear view mirror?

Aloha
tp

70-79 Mast (arm) will fit. They will just be shorter.
70-79 Mirror assembly will fit your 69 Mast (arm). The Mast ball is the same size.
Try and find a Dazzle (day/night) mirror if you can.
Good luck and Happy Holidays
Tcash
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

Actually, my 69 uses the screw in 68 mirror. Checking the M plate it seems to indicate it was built in October 1968. Looking at my VIN it's lower than the 219 060 788 that is says when the change happened

So some early 69s still used the 68 mirror.
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

Aloha
tp

70-79 Mirror assembly will fit your 69 Mast (arm). The Mast ball is the same size.
Tcash

how do you remove the mirror assembly from the ball?

Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

lastchancevw wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

Aloha
tp

Tcash

Thanks

I've always shot a little spray lubricant onto the ball, and grabbing the mirror, twisted it off the arm bracket. It can be tough as most of the original rear view mirrors are toast.

I've been able to do this to clean up the arms and reinstall the same mirror back onto the original arm.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

T-Cash' legacy lives on. Miss that guy! so many posts of amazing value! unlike this one. Hope he is still doing great and having fun.
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
lastchancevw wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

Aloha
tp

Tcash

Thanks

I've always shot a little spray lubricant onto the ball, and grabbing the mirror, twisted it off the arm bracket. It can be tough as most of the original rear view mirrors are toast.

I've been able to do this to clean up the arms and reinstall the same mirror back onto the original arm.

Hmm. yeah. I hate to start an arguement or whatever, but I get the feeling that that's not going to work so well.

Anyway, I have some questions on how the mirrors are even made in the first place. My 68/early 69 mirror had glass that fell out because the black plastic of the mirror assembly was so deteriorated, that there's nothing to hold it in.

because there's no glass in there, you can see that the ball itself is allen-headed screwed into the mast. The mast and the ball are NOT the same piece of metal, which I would have expected them to have been.

So if you can just get the glass out somehow you can unscrew the mirror assembly and ball from the mast

Thing is, I don't know if the later mirrors are made like this or not. And you can't get the glass out of the black plastic part without breaking it (or maybe you can apply a heat gun the black plastic to make it pliable and work the mirror glass out. Obviously they had to somehow get the glass into the black plastic part somehow.

I dunno.. this idea that you're going to just grab and pull the mirror off the ball like dislocating your arm socket doesn't seem like it's going to work anyway, kinda seems like most of the mirrors are too brittle to do that with these days, and perfectly fine if you don't mess around with them like that.

Which makes me wonder, why would you remove the mirror assembly from the mast and put the sameone back on just to clean up the mast? Seems like a lot of effort, risking breaking the mirror and in the end you'll probably end up with a mirror that's too loose and floppy because you blew out the ball and socket

So.. anyway i might go and sacrifice a later 70s non-screw on style bug mirror (of which i have dozens) and smash the glass just to see how it's made underneath that, and if the ball part is removable from the mast like on the 68/early bus mirrors. If the ball and mast is two pieces then maybe the ball can somehow be grabbed on the thin part where it screws into the mast?

EDIT- I just popped off a later style mirror from the ball and determined that the later style mirror ball and mast is the same piece of metal. Also, even though the mirror popped off allright, when I popped it on my 68 style ball, the whole thing was way too loose to be useful.

Is there a recommended super sticky grease that might tighten up the whole thing. Seems like the act of popping one off and on just stresses the plastic too much to be tight anymore

Last edited by lastchancevw on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

uh, not sure that "77 Westfalia Rear View Mirror." (the one with the round base) is quite right. That looks like a standard Beetle non day/night mirror. See how it's slightly off center? I don't think bus mirrors are ever off center.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Tcash wrote:

... Tcash

Aloha
tp

250 Euros for just an interior rear-view mirror, seems like a LOT of money to me!!! Shocked

https://kieftenklok.nl/shop/en/front-page/t2-1968-...nos-detail

I have a second-hand one of these on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental , together with the matching sun visors from a 1968~69 VW Type 2.

It enables me see further rearward than the original NON-anti-dazzle 1973 VW Type 2 mirror.

Ideally, I would like to have a dipping, anti-dazzle mirror head on my late-1969 long mirror-stem.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

Here's mine. 1968 stem with Vanagon mirror. Sensible size and not fried with the So-Cal sun.

1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
Here's mine. 1968 stem with Vanagon mirror. Sensible size and not fried with the So-Cal sun.

That's a late-1969 stem Alistair!

The chrome-plated 1968 & early-1969 stem is fastened to the ceiling using two countersunk machine screws.

How did you manage to substitute the "Vanagon mirror" without cracking the mirror's ball socket!?!

Back in the early-1980s, I tried to substitute the dipping anti-dazzle mirror head from a VW 411/412 onto my original 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 mirror stem, but the plastic ball-socket cracked. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
How did you manage to substitute the "Vanagon mirror" without cracking the mirror's ball socket!?!

Step 1: Pull off old cracked mirror
Step 2: Push on Vanagon mirror

Wink
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

Sorry for the typo - yes I meant '69. The Vanagon mirror came off the Vanagon easily with a little vaseline and refitting to the '69 one was a reverse of the process.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

Actually, to follow up on what I wrote before. I played around with the whole "popping mirrors off the ball and socket joint" thing and here's what worked for me.

penetrating oil will help you get the mirror off the socket, however even if you wipe all that off when you put them back together, what works better is this:

Coat the inside of the socket and the outside of the ball with spray glue (3M or whatever). The stuff stays pretty flexible and gooey and doesn't quite harden entirely. It pretty much fixes any ones that are a little loose although probably not ones where that socket is cracked. And it doesn't harden so much that the mirror is now permanently stuck in it's new position.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear View Mirror+Mirrors ID T2 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Step 1: Pull off old cracked mirror
Step 2: Push on Vanagon mirror

Wink
Robbie

I tried that approach without success Robbie.

When I enlisted the help of the workshop technicians at university, they got too heavy handed with it and cracked the socket; highlighting the dangers of consulting so-called experts!

I was going to try putting the stem in the freezer for a few hours to shrink the ball and warm the plastic socket to expand & soften it, but by that time the damage had been done!

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: