Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New and/or modern favorite tents and awnings for your bus.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: New and/or modern favorite tents and awnings for your bus. Reply with quote

Did some searches, but I, like many, am notorious for not finding obvious threads...
...so if Everett re-directs this thead and shuts it down, I won't be surprised or offended

"Newly Built" or "Modern" TENTS & AWNINGS which connect to/sit alongside or behind your bus.

What, besides original equipment (which is very, very cool and we all wish we could have that/those), are folks using?

It would be great if this thread could include links, pictures, and thoughts about the product(s) that you purchased/use.

So, if you post about what you have, or know about, please say:
1) The product name
2) Where/when you bought it
3) A link to where you can buy it now (2014)
4) Your pros and cons about it
5) Picture of it in use if you have one

At the least, I think I should get myself one of those pop-up backyard shade awnings, but I'm more interested in what folks specifically use with their splities.
I'd love it if folks have suggestions/examples of self-standing (not many or any guy-wires) tents or awnings that can be attached (without altering the bus).
The small hiking 2-person tent I use now naturally wouldn't count; it doesn't get set up near, or connecting to, the bus.
ANYTHING, however, that you are using that can be purchased new now is fair game.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Some searches in the Bay Window forum had a lot to say on the subject, but already some were a bit out-dated with broken URL-links to products and such.
Here' s an example of a Bay Window thread on; "best side tent (modern)?"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be converted to self standing with three more legs. Attached via clamps, so no modification to the bus.

1) Vintage awning/Sunbrella
2) 2010 via thesamba.
3) By Jonce. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=733607
4) Large, I could afford it vs an OG tent, keeps you dry or in the shade. Cons, takes a little while to set up.
5) Below...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, Bus Depot Ez Awning

2, From BusDepot in 2012

3, http://www.busdepot.com/ezyplus

4, Pros, quick and easy set up/take down (10 mins), Lightweight, large area 11x8 covered, waterproof and pretty sturdy in wind.
Optional walls, I have not tried them.
Inexpensive, about $150 for the large version

Cons, It does not look vintage in the least bit, looks out of place when camping in a splitty and a 61 Heilite set up.
It will scratch you roof gutter area if you are not careful with set up take down!!! I learned the hard way.

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a BBT re-pop I had on my Mango in 2006 or so, bought it from a guy at Kelley Park that had all of the colors offered at the time. Sold it with the bus but would love to get my hands on another one, I think they were about 500 dollars at the time.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing on the post. I've been thinking the past few days about the same thing....
'69 Bug
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
This is a BBT re-pop I had on my Mango in 2006 or so, bought it from a guy at Kelley Park that had all of the colors offered at the time. Sold it with the bus but would love to get my hands on another one, I think they were about 500 dollars at the time.

CIP1 used to sell a similar one (imported from Europe) but it looks like they are out of stock. They do require the roof mounts though so if your bus did not come with them it's not something most people are going to add. I really do like that style, here are two on a double door at OCTO a few weeks ago (with my bus photo bombing the picture):

Last edited by srfndoc on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
czp13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I forgot the name...
2) Sports Authority, (sporting good store)
3) Didn't see it on the website. I got mine two months ago in the store. It was on clearance. $20
4) Pro: $20, small bag that fits under the seat. Con:build quality not super great. but good enough.
5)

]

Here is another post on the canopy from 2012. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=
It will give you an idea of the quality and what people have done with it. I plan on extend it off my rack so there will be no poles in the way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: