Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running out of gas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Running out of gas Reply with quote

Ive run out of gas in all of my vws, most memorable times was in my first vw a 71 squareback six blocks away from my house with two of my friends, we had no cash so we pushed that pig home at 1 in the morning on our way back from sunken city in san pedro, in my 66 with the work when it wants to guage I ran out of gas at least once a month I had that car for two years, then the only good time when it worked out for me was in my 67 bug when I broke down a block from the gas station but had to keep filling up soda cans with gas and making like four trips to get the car to the station to fill it up

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now you learn to keep a spare 1 Gallon gas tank in the trunk!
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my bus, the gauge was inop. I rememer driving to school one day and the thing ran out of gas on the freeway. I walked in the pouring rain to the nearest gas sation that was about 1 1/2 away and then walked back. That was the last time I ever ran out of gas in any of my cars. I put a gas can with a few gallons of gas in the back of the bus after that , but never needed to use it.
nik
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most memorable time for me was back when I was 18...had a '66 Bug. Was dating a girl in SF (about a 55 mile drive for me) and I was on the way home from her place at about 11pm...crusing home, look down, and I'm more or less on "R". But crap, I haven't looked at the guage since SF and I don't know how long I've been on "R"! It's late...no gas stations open. So I decided to get home and do my best to just stick it out on the freeway. Figured a cop would travel the freeway more than a backroad.

Well, I made it home. Whew! Fired it up to go get gas the next morning (there was a station at the end of my street at the time) and I made it within about 500 feet of the station before my Bug died.

LOL I'll never do that again...always carry a gas can and always try to fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gas gauge does not work and I've tried just about everything to fix it. Obviously I have not tried everything, otherwise it would be fixed. Sometimes I forget to refill the gas can after the last time I had to use it. I've run out of gas so many times, that now I know that I can't call the wife to bail me out. She gets pretty mad if I do. Its relaxing to walk to the nearest gas station and I get exercise!
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran out 2 times in my 70 bus. The first time I rode my bike and got like 60 cents worth of gas in a water bottle. The other time I was a block from the house so I just pushed while my g/f steered. I ran out in my Oval and thought it was the choke. I kept adjusting it. I finally realized I had no gas so I popped and sputtered to the gas station only to stall about 30 feet short of the pump at the bottom of a slope. I used the starter to get up the hill. Thank God for a good battery.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run out tons of time in lots of VWs.

I ran out on the freeway off ramp in my '55 Bus. I coasted down the freeway and the light turned green just as I got there so I coasted around the corner, into the station, and right up to the pump. Beautiful job!

I ran out twice at work in my '60 Double Cab. Both times it wouldn't start when I left work so I had to walk to the gas station and buy a gas can. I left the first can at home the second time...

I ran out of gas. I tried to switch to reserve and found out that it already was on reserve. Arggg. Luckily it restarted and stalled a few times so I sort of bucked it a few blocks to the gas station.

Etc....
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6d7vdub
Samba Slacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 68 and when I bought it the p.o. didnt tell me the gas gauge did not work properly. You could fill it up, and it would read full. Then go to about a 1/4 full and never lower itself...so you always thought you had gas. After running out a couple of times, I started reading the odometer and filling up every 200 miles. My dad would not let me put a gas can in the trunk.

Sadie's Site

http://positivepause.com
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I left the first can at home the second time...

Been there, absolutely! I have 4 or 5 of those damn one gallon cans now. Laughing
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type877 wrote:
It's relaxing to walk to the nearest gas station and I get exercise!

That's a good way of looking at it. Smile

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a ironic day it was me and my bro he needed money to get gass the way out of our neibor hood you have to pass this gas station stupid deal but funny.

We were driving a 68 bug gas Gague never worked. We knew we needed gas. We didnt have any money on us . Mom and dad where at work (mom works a the bank we were going to). We just got to the intercetion and were in the left turn lane (gass station is 25 feet to our left). Green light we go to take off "put put die". It would not start we ran out of gas $#$@#$#@$#% i herd (i was like 12). So we get out and push the 68 to the side of the road. So were sitting there staring at the gas station, no money and this was befor everyone had a cell phone. As i said no money, So no pay phone. So we sit there............Then all of a sudden a guy at the gas station yelled "YOU OUT OF GAS"(shaking a 1 gallon gas can in the air). YES we yelled. He then said HOLD ON...... We where little confused then he dashed cross the street with his little one gallon..We told him our story of going to get money. We thanked him over and over for the gallon. He said its cool. he was stuck in the dessert or somthing and someone did the same to him. We where in shock (also back when gas was 1.20 a gallon not 1.70) We cranked it fired up went to the bank and then back to that station and filled her up.

Thanks to who ever you were........................................

Another was last march

We were having our last meeting befor the madera spring fling show it was the end of the meeting were in the chubbys and me and some guys notice a bug on the side of the road ( just broke down) we all rush out and help the guy push it up the drive way into a parking stall.

he said " i guess i picked the right place to break down (14 vws in the parking lot )

something went out and someone had a spare whatever in there car and he thanked us and comented on our cars then took off

Same deal meeting but in Feb we were all heading out and guy runs over to us and say you guys got any change then points to his bug at the gas station cross the street says i got nothing so we pour couple hand fulls of silver well saying been there man no prob.

feels good when you help another vw person somthing you get unlike other cars
NorCalNick
Ain't yo baby daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far ive ran out of gas in my bus one time, we were driving home from drag days and took a "short cut" and ended up running out of gas in some hill billy town with one gas station that was somebodys house and of course it was closed.....thanks for AAA!
56_in_714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try twice in one day and in the same car. My 56 was in the shop getting a new rear trans mount. It was sitting for a while cause i didnt know how to change it then. Anyway. I go pick up my car all happy that i got my ride back after a couple months of not driving her. So i say to myself"im gonna go to Orange(im in santa ana) and go get some accesories(door handles and some nobs). and of gas like 2 blocks from Kustom 1. Im like GREAT!!! I go buy one of those 1 galloncans at the gas station(10 freaking busk) and i fill her up and walk back and im on my way. Later that night i pick up one of my boys to get some beers and i run out again..good thing that was only a couple blocks away from my house. I guess the exitement of finally getting her back meesed with me and i forgot that cars needed gas...now i carry one of those gallong things with me
Cam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it must be something about volkswagens 'cause I had never run out of gas before, and now in the past four months i've run out three times. The first time I had to get a tow (but my girlfriend has CAA gold and she saved my ass), the second time was at 2 in the morning and I had to walk home (a half hour away) and hitch back in the morning with a jerry can.
The third time was the most amusing, though. I was on the highway heading to my girlfriends house a 1/2 hour away and I ran out. Not two minutes later, as I try to figure out how i'm going to get out of this one, I hear "putt putt putt" and see a green bay window westy pull up behind me. Very Happy Turns out he lived just off the next exit AND had a full gas jug in his garage, which he wouldn't let me pay for! VW drivers gotta stick together, I guess, 'cause we all seem to be running out of gas.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran out of gas for the very first time ever just last week, the cool thing was that I was at home when this happened. My 67 has a 14-16 G tank (the shop owner said it was 16 but I fill up at 14 sooo??) anyways I had been driving around for the past week with the gauge reading at half. what I forgot was that I was carrying a floor jack in the front and with the weight, it was pinching my cable and not letting it adjust to the level of gas I had in the tank. Well I went to start her up to go watch the playoffs and no go after about 5 min of trying to figure out what happened, I realized what the culprit was and took care of it. called my bro, we gassed her up with a spare gas tank he had and took off to the gas station. I topped her off to the point of a little overflow, went to my brother-in-laws brothers house to watch the game. At half time we went oustide to catch some fresh air and noticed a HUGE puddle of gas under the bug I knew right away what was happening. SHIT! he had just had the drive way done!! left a huge stain. Went from one extreme to the other and now I have a driveway I have pay for!! well lesson learned, no more overfilling of the gas tank AND never rely on a gas gauge thats sits at half for a week and a half!!! Sad
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we ran out of gas once. but in the 60 there is no gas gague. so it started to sputter. but then we just fliped the gas relay and went to resevers. made it home and back to the gas station no problem, i'll never do that again. i always keep a ful tank of gas in the car.
philbrickvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how large of a tank does a 74 standard have? would i need to carry an extra can during city driving only?
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
2019 Mini Cooper S
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran out of gas on the freeway in a suit and tie on the way to the Symphony with my Fiance (married 6 years now). 1 week later the throttle cable broke on our next date.

So I thought I was smart now. I carry a 2 gal jug in the front. Summer of '98 I'm in the middle of freakin' nowhere in Northern Arizona. The bug dies. The tank is bone dry. I empty the gas can into the tank, push it uphill to get a little gravity action, and start it up. Great, but I"m still 60 miles from anywhere on a backroad. About 10 miles later I come across a Forest Service truck (I was working for them at the time). No one was around but I notice two drip torches in the back. They use various ratios of gas/deisel to burn slash piles. I think the ratio is like 3 deisel to 1 gas. So I think, what the hell, I gotta try. I keep the bug running dump in the contents of both drip torches, about 2 gallons worth of burn mix. About 3 miles down the road it gets a little rough. I keep the RPMS high and the throttle as lean as possible. It runs like crap, but I'm moving. Smoking like George Burns in Cuba. After I get home I clean it out, thing runs fine. The next day I had to explain to my boss why I stole gas from the government. He didn't believe that the bug would run off of a modified burn mix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeevDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas gauge in the 72 when it is half way in the red it is completely empty, and it was the first time I figured this out, like 5 minutes from my friends house coming back from the disney land area. Some helpful guy pushes my bumper up this hill and we coast back down, definately sucked pushing it for the few minutes before he arrived.
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, i ran out of gas on my 67Westy for the first time on Sunday. Got up early and got the family up to go to the show. So we roll out for the gas station and on the way the bus is sputtering a bit, my woman ask whats wrong with the bus i tell her its cold and warming up. I turn on a side street in route to the gas station and it dies. I immediately know the tank is dry. My choices are walking back home a mile away and getting the gas bottle or pushing the bus two blocks up hill to the gas station. I decided to push. After filling up my legs were so tired i could barely hold down the clutch without my leg shaking. My record for running out of gas in all my vw's continues i have the 66 that hasnt hit the street yet maybe i will have better luck with it

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: