Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fusable link?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Fusable link? Reply with quote

How important is the fusible link? Years ago when doing a full restoration I bought a wiring kit for a '67 bug. The directions recommended adding a fusible link between the battery and the voltage regulator. I did so and I've had it pop several times. In each case it was because of a hot wire touching metal ground. But lately there's no power to the dash and if I pull the rear seat out the link is intact. So I replace it anyway and suddenly I have power. I've had to do this several times now. I've tested the suspect fuses and in each case they're still good.

So can I do without the fusible link? I've owned bugs for 30 years and this is the first car where I had that fusible link to deal with.

TIA,

crvc
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there have been millions of bugs that never had a fusible link installed it might be perfectly safe. However I cannot see how a fusible link would test good but not pass amperage. I have one on my 71 Ghia and its staying.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a marine supply store and buy a 12 volt circuit breaker......

circuit shorts out

reset circuit breaker

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your own admission, it's saved you from potential electrical fires several times. I wouldn't be too keen on removing it.

What size/rating fusible link are you using?
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhoefer wrote:
By your own admission, it's saved you from potential electrical fires several times. I wouldn't be too keen on removing it.

I think it's 20 amp but I've also used 15 amp. My original point was I don't know what it does since my other vws didn't have it.

crvc
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
jhoefer wrote:

I think it's 20 amp but I've also used 15 amp. My original point was I don't know what it does since my other vws didn't have it.

crvc

It adds protection to the main power feed wires between the battery and fuse box. I'm not sure 15amp is enough depending on how much total current your electrical system uses. The stock wire size should be good to carry twice that.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far it's 24 hours without a problem. I'm guessing the fuse just wasn't connecting enough for current flow. Kinda like a florescent bulb that seems to go out but when I tap it or twist it back and forth it comes back on.

crvc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: