Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn not working
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Horn not working Reply with quote

I have read many posts on here regarding the not working horns. This may be a stupid question but I have to ask. When doing all the tests checking to see if there is current on the black and yellow wire down at the horn do you have to have the key on? I used a spring clamp to hold the horn piece on the steering wheel down while I did the checking and there is no power when the key is off but there is power, on both terminals, when the key is on. I replaced the horn because the one that was in the car tested bad when just hooked up to the battery directly. The fuse is good and when the key is on it also has power on both sides with the fuse in place. The new horn worked when hooked directly to the battery. I cleaned all the terminals in the steering horn part, both the copper in the removable horn part and the bolt heads that are in the steering wheel. I also tried to connect the wire that attaches to the horn part to the center nut that holds the steering wheel on but nothing. I cannot find where the steering column ground is either. Does anyone have a picture of where I am supposed to be looking? I would really like to fix this seemingly simple problem instead of the horn button on the dash crap. I know I am missing something very simple so please be kind. I have a 73 Thing/type 181 Thanks
Riffster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there's a ground "jumper" wire over the rubber disc at the bottom of the steering column to get connectivity - you might check to make sure that's in place. (You'll probably have to take out the gas tank to get at it.)

-Larry
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and the braided wire is attached joining each half of the rag joint. I did not test the ground yet but it is there.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Thing horn is not factory wired.

do recall when I finished restoration on a 60 beetle, there was a ground wire connect to the steering tube up under the fuel tank. there was a tab on the underside of the steering tube that exits through the front footwall.

not sure if that helps you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black/yellow wire should read +12V at the horn whenever the ignition is switched on. Basically, the black/yellow wire runs from the fuse (#2) to the horn. The circuit is completed on the ground side to beep the horn.
If you look behind (actually in front of) the speedometer, there's an opening where the wiring harnesses for the wiper, turn signal, and ignition switches come through to their connection points below the steering wheel. One of those harnesses will have a brown wire which will be connected to ground when the horn button is pressed. That wire is connected to the brown wire from the horn itself. I think the brown wire that's connected to the horn is in the large harness coming through the left front corner behind the left side dash panel.
The horn should beep when you touch this wire to ground (with the ignition switched on).
Because the steering column is isolated from the body by a rubber coupler, there's a jumper wire across the rubber coupler to ground the steering column.
Hope that helps, good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Broke-Watch-Finger-Bumper-Sticker/dp/B004N1TPBM
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Horn not working Reply with quote

JeffsThing wrote:
I have read many posts on here regarding the not working horns. This may be a stupid question but I have to ask. When doing all the tests checking to see if there is current on the black and yellow wire down at the horn do you have to have the key on? I used a spring clamp to hold the horn piece on the steering wheel down while I did the checking and there is no power when the key is off but there is power, on both terminals, when the key is on. I replaced the horn because the one that was in the car tested bad when just hooked up to the battery directly. The fuse is good and when the key is on it also has power on both sides with the fuse in place. The new horn worked when hooked directly to the battery. I cleaned all the terminals in the steering horn part, both the copper in the removable horn part and the bolt heads that are in the steering wheel. I also tried to connect the wire that attaches to the horn part to the center nut that holds the steering wheel on but nothing. I cannot find where the steering column ground is either. Does anyone have a picture of where I am supposed to be looking? I would really like to fix this seemingly simple problem instead of the horn button on the dash crap. I know I am missing something very simple so please be kind. I have a 73 Thing/type 181 Thanks

When you say power to both terminals when the key is on do you mean 12V?

Use a jumper from the horn to the passenger compartment side of the rubber steering column then try the horn button. If it beeps there is a problem with the jumper. If it does not then try the jumper up to the steering wheel. This will help you to begin isolating the problem of the bad ground.
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mondshine thank you so much for your reply. And Nova your suggestion was spot on. I put a jumper from the brown wire on the horn to the inside bolt on the rubber joint and bingo! What a wimpy horn but I now know how to fix the problem. Will be a pain in the A to get to but hey isn't everything on this car? Now I need to look into getting a horn that will actually be able to be heard.
Thanks to all for your replies and I hope to be able to help someone else in the future.
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see a little screw like thing sticking out of the back of the horn that looks like it has no use at all in being there. That is a "tuner" and will change the sound. It limits the vibrations to get the proper tone.

Be sure though that you are getting a full 12 volts to the unit, and a full ground as well.
7T3Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get a working horn in my son's '73. Key on, no horn. Per the wiring diagram, 12V at terminal #2 from left hand of fuse strip. Out at horn, have roughly 1.5V at post A to the frame (as ground). Zero V to other post (B).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried to determine if the wire coming off #2 was either horn wire but it was inconclusive, as wire was painted during PO repaint, of course yellow. At fuse strip, color is roughly black with a stripe (as shown on wiring diagram) - just above red line in photo.

Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid running a separate set of wires and a toggle switch, but I need it to pass inspection soon.
When I was under the gas tank, I feel like I successfully replaced the ragjoint jumper.
Why would the voltage be weak?
I need to try again tomorrow with another (different) meter, hoping the leads weren't the issue.

Also - where does one get this style fuse?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this helps you track the problem down:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm
7T3Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn not working Reply with quote

Still working on this horn issue.
Found one wire, presumed to be the ground, that, using my meter, has continuity to ground. Took the horn cover off the steering wheel, and it has continuity to the four posts, but not the small wire attached to the cover.
With power this same wire has 12V on it. Does that make sense? I thought the wire through the column was ground. This wire was located on post A as drawn above. The B post has no voltage and did not have continuity to ground.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Horn not working Reply with quote

You may find this helpful:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: