Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4th gear kicks out on my Thing!!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuekwik4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

Kinda new to VW so bear with me, when I'm driving the Thing on highway speeds, I shift into 4th but if I don't put pressure on the shifter it will kick it out 4th gear. I have done some reading and it points to an adjustment on the shifter rod. Tried adjusting it and threw off the shifting. Good thing I marked the rod where it was before making my adjustments. Would be appreciate any help.... thanks.
landkholdings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

A bungee cord will work for a little while, but the transaxle likely needs work.

All I know about transaxles is where to take them, but I’m sure someone who knows them will chime in. My bus started this behavior shortly after I aquired it, and it was the 4th gear slider or synchro or something.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

This is a very common problem; rarely solved by a shifter adjustment.
Start saving your money for a rebuilt/exchange transaxle.
The bungee cord trick will work for a while, and won't add much damage to what has already been done, but the problem will only get worse.
When you have decided on a vendor for a replacement, agree to keep your Thing drive flanges so you can install them on the replacement transaxle.
Not all transaxles found in Things are original to the car, so make a note of the clutch release type as will as the nosecone/front mount type to avoid a mismatch when you receive the replacement.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tuekwik4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

My luck of course. What's the bungee cord trick???
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

Not really a trick, just using a bungee cord to hold the gearshift lever in 4th gear.

I did this a few years ago to drive a couple hundred miles from northern Michigan to my garage. I ordered a transaxle the next day.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tuekwik4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks for your help.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

Tuek...

Don't get mad!
Removing your engine and transaxle is sort of a rite of passage into the air cooled VW universe.
Besides, working on these cars is fun. Not as much fun as driving them; but fun, none the less.

So take your time, read the manuals and enjoy the experience Very Happy
tuekwik4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

Not mad at all!! Very Happy
Just hadn't anticipated in dropping $$$ for a new transaxle....
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear kicks out on my Thing!! Reply with quote

One feature of living in Michigan is that Things are driven from roughly May through October.
The rest of the time is for fixing 'em.

To misquote Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, "For every Thing, there is a season".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: