Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

Bought a 74 Thing about 2 week’s ago and for the life of me, I can’t get the rear deck lid / engine compartment lid to close far enough to latch. Moved the striker plate as far as it would go and tried to adjust the lid itself but no success. My last thought is the seal is on wrong? Anyone have a photo showing how the deck lid seal is supposed to sit? Much thanks
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the seal and how it’s put on
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

Seal looks good to me, you may want to check and see if the latch (lock) is the right one. The key code on the side of the lock should have a "R" in the middle of the number. Or just take a picture of of the back side of the lock and post it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

Thanks. It better be the right lock, I just bought a new one from the Thing shop since the PO didn’t have the keys to the lock that was in there. I can’t figure it out, nothing on the striker plate looks bent, the rear deck lid closely cleanly all the way around, just the lock won’t latch.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

Okay. This may sound weird, but it is what I would do. Set up your phone so you can put it in the engine compartment and take a video of the latch and striker when the deck lid is closed. It might reveal something - like maybe you have to shim the striker up with a few washers or something.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

The mount that the latch bolts to could be bent forward. Channel lock pliers and bend it to the rear of the car. Pliers on the latch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

The mount that the latch bolts to could be bent forward. Channel lock pliers and bend it to the rear of the car. Pliers on the latch.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear deck lid seal / lid not latching. Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
Thanks. It better be the right lock, I just bought a new one from the Thing shop since the PO didn’t have the keys to the lock that was in there. I can’t figure it out, nothing on the striker plate looks bent, the rear deck lid closely cleanly all the way around, just the lock won’t latch.

Does the arm on the new latch move? Or does it just stop when it hits the striker plate? This is an important distinction to know. If the latch moves- compare the "throw" of the old latch to the new one- side by side.

If the latch does not articulate- swap back to the one that was on there and call the Thing Shop.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: