Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Durable and drivable 2110
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Durable and drivable 2110 Reply with quote

I've missed my old VW since I sold it 5 years ago. I've been though college now and I'm moving into a house with a garage. Time for a project. I've got a rough idea of what I want the end result to be, and I'd like to start with building an engine first.

Car wise I'd like to set up a rail for street use/abuse. Autocross and maybe a few runs down the 1/4. Kind of a street legal toy. My last VW build was my DD so it made it difficult to work on and update. Now I can possibly have a fun side project. It doesn't have to be crazy fast. I wouldn't plan to rev it above 4500-5000 rpm.

I've built two engines in the past. First I built a budget 1600 in which I slipped a push-rod-tube seal and seized the engine in 250 miles. The second was a slightly less budget 1641 which is still running strong with the new owner. Now however I can take my time and do things correctly. I would like to build an engine with focus on durability and drivability. This is why I came upon the 2110 size. That would give me the biggest jugs that are thickwall without cooling issues(if I read everything right) and a pretty long stroke without excessive clearancing. I've been reading a lot on aircooled.net and vw-resource.com about combos and building. I've come up with what I think would be a decent combo and I'd like tips and pointers if possible. I don't know much about stroker building but I want to take my time and learn as I go. Let me know how my parts list looks.

New Mag case clearanced from AC.N
82mm CW crank
90.5 "B" P/C
Static Compression around 8:1
IBeam Rods (5.4"?)
1.4 Rockers
Uprated short pushrods
Mellow Cam (Recommendations?)
Stock DP heads
HD Springs
Pertronix SVDA
Deep Sump
Stock Doghouse cooling tin
Single IDF? Dual IDF? Something else?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
82mm CW crank
90.5 "B" P/C
IBeam Rods (5.4"?)
1.4 Rockers
Uprated short pushrods
Mellow Cam (Recommendations?)
Stock DP heads
HD Springs
Pertronix SVDA
Deep Sump
Single IDF? Dual IDF? Something else?

82mm chevy journal DPR crank
Balanced flywheel combo from DPR also
AA pistons/cylinder set are gtg-have balanced
AA 4340 5.4 Chevy I beams-have balanced
Manton CTF pushrods or if you like it quiet go HD smith brothers/acn
Tims stage 1 heads-matched manifold combo ( these come with dual springs)
Stock valved heads if thats what you were thinking are no bueno.
1.25 forged rocker assemblies w/ lashcaps
W120 Engle cam
SVDA is out since its not going to be a daily, Id opt for an 010 ( thought this was going to be a weekend cruiser?)
3.5qt deep sump
Dual 40 or 45 dells or 44 idfs will work great.
8 to 1 CR is too low. Go closer to 9

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^x2. I've got a 9:1 2110 set up almost identically for my '62 panel, with a SVDA, 40 Dellortos, and a 1-1/2" A1 sidewinder. It's a really, really sweet motor.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
82mm chevy journal DPR crank
Balanced flywheel combo from DPR also
AA pistons/cylinder set are gtg-have balanced
AA 4340 5.4 Chevy I beams-have balanced
Manton CTF pushrods or if you like it quiet go HD smith brothers/acn
Tims stage 1 heads-matched manifold combo ( these come with dual springs)
Stock valved heads if thats what you were thinking are no bueno.
1.25 forged rocker assemblies w/ lashcaps
W120 Engle cam
SVDA is out since its not going to be a daily, Id opt for an 010 ( thought this was going to be a weekend cruiser?)
3.5qt deep sump
Dual 40 or 45 dells or 44 idfs will work great.
8 to 1 CR is too low. Go closer to 9
My goal for an engine is the same as yours and this is very close to the same engine I'm currently gathering parts to build. I'm going with a set of MOFOCO 042 heads. I decided to use VW journal H-Beam rods because the cost is not that bad for a set. I'm using the same cam, 1.25 rockers, aluminum pushrods, 3.5 qt sump, 1.5" header, dual 44 HPMX carbs, Pertronix SVDA distributor. CR will be in the 9 to 9.5 range. My planned rpm range will be normally up to 5500, with an absolute max of 6500. It won't be a daily driver, but almost. I think it's gonna' be a blast! Cool

Last edited by SBD on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the intention is to hardly rev it higher than a stock 1600 engine, the W120 would be too much cam IMHO. A Web 163 w 1,25īs is more than enough and will create a quieter valve train. And it will still have a power peak in the 5300 - 5800 rpm dependant on the combo.

Why the giant oil sump ? No need at all for a street engine. The only thing that happens is that the oil takes significantly longer to warm up. The cooling aspect that people refer to is over rated. - UNLESS one wants to make a poor manīs dry sump. Otherwise a CB 1,5 quart sump is more than enough and takes a lot less space under the car. (Less risk of hitting someting)

The cylinders are not the cooling issue in general. Slip in 1680īs and thin wall 1835/2180īs excluded. The cylinderheads are. For a street engine I would use an 041 or 043 casting. But the 043īs are hard to come by and the 041īs are discontinued. So the next choice is someting that is close to. Without knowing for certain I think the cylinderheads from AA have decent cooling. I do think that that is what Tims use as a base for their heads too. (I recently had a set of big valve cylinderheads in my hands, delivered in white boxes. Iīm not sure of the brand as there are no stamps or numbers in them. If you think 044īs are closed up, you should see these, SHEESH!
The Tims stage 1 would be a good choice from a combo point of view. Agree on 9-1 CR.
A 1―" header is on the small side for the engine, it -will- limit the top end. But again, if the lower to midrange power is what its going to be used for it would be enough.

If you can get your hands on a nice set of 40 Dellortoīs it would be great.
Definitely an SVDA distributor or a Black box or a Megajolt system. That can pull 20 degrees out of the heads easily on cruise.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build the Buggy first then do the engine last. Building an engine before you have a car is foolish. I've seen too many times a guy builds an engine and never get to the car or the engine sits 2-3 years while he is building the car and the cylinders rust up from sitting then his brand new engine smokes and has to be rebuilt.

Build the buggy first and the engine last.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with building a big engine with a mild cam, but stock heads are just not going to cut it. While stock valve heads can be made to work with your engine size, you'd be better off just buying some 40x35.5mm valved heads with larger ports already cast in. You can go a lot milder than the 163 if you don't want to rev high, just make sure it has enough lift to let the heads work.
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Build the Buggy first then do the engine last. Building an engine before you have a car is foolish. I've seen too many times a guy builds an engine and never get to the car or the engine sits 2-3 years while he is building the car and the cylinders rust up from sitting then his brand new engine smokes and has to be rebuilt.

Build the buggy first and the engine last.

As usual Dave is spot on. Ive seen this done many times as well and a couple friends of mine still have their motors sitting with no car to put it in. What a waste. If you build the buggy first at least u can throw in a 1600 fast and cheap jus to get it running.

Quok is also on it. Makes no sense doing all this and running stock DP heads IMHO. Thats like me doing my next triathlon with a gas mask. Jus doesnt work. The motor needs to breathe right to run right.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST. My personal problemo with this motor. Back in the day the 2110 was one of the motors of choice. Especailly for the "small pistons rules" guys. Great motor but you gotta run duals on this thing man. Forget the single!!! But then again I put duals on a 1600 lol. Laughing
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a thick wall 1835 with some 'balls' - better than sinking all that money into a milquetoast 2110. CW crank - W120 cam - 9.5:1 compression - 042 heads - 1.25:1 solid shaft rockers - dual 44 Kadrons or 40mm weber/hpmx.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some better heads, got it. More airflow is always better. I'll do some more research into that area.

Why does everybody say to go for a stronger cam? The Engle 120 seems like a bit too much cam for what I want, from what I've read. I had a 110 in my old 1641 and it drove fine, but didn't idle well.

@jfats808
What is the reasoning behind the chevy journal crank?

Thanks for all the real advice!

Thanks to everybody else for not addressing my actual question...
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less clearancing required. You can dumb the cam down with 1.1s but I wouldnt. There are so many factors to consider when u say the 110 didnt idle well in your old motor. Cr, combo choice, carb etc. If built right and the combo compliments what your target of performance is, the engine will run as intended. The combo I suggested is another one of those proven combos that work well for different applications and yours. The 120 cam is at the precipice imo of mild and hot street. When u ask for suggestions u will get many cause we All have an opinion.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everybody having an opinion is tough. I've been trying to read though peoples' known working setups and basing mine off what I read. I've always been a fan of bigger engines that aren't stressed to make power. You can have a smaller engine that is strung out with a big cam and high compression or a bigger engine that is tuned a bit softer. I can't find much dyno data though to see what kind of power I could expect from a street 2110.

I'm just not sure how I feel about revving one of these high enough to get use of an engle120. To me 5k feels plenty high. You're right though, the mild engine I had probably wasn't tuned well enough to get the w110 to idle right.

The other option I'd tossed around is to do a PintoBeans style swap but the complexity and rear weight of a Lima is not overly attractive even with the price/power savings. Plus I could see the Lima blowing a Type 1 transaxle a lot faster than a VW engine.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Web 111 with probably not enough head ran about where you want it, but I never got it on the dyno. The track said higher than the estimated 120HP, but it always does when torque is down low and broader. The 111 is a little noisy, and hard on the valvetrain, but it did show me that it's hard to get the flow you need for a 2110 on stock valved heads. A cam with milder ramps and about the same 50thou duration and lift would be ideal if you choose the right heads.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzboy wrote:
So some better heads, got it. More airflow is always better. I'll do some more research into that area.

Why does everybody say to go for a stronger cam? The Engle 120 seems like a bit too much cam for what I want, from what I've read. I had a 110 in my old 1641 and it drove fine, but didn't idle well.

@jfats808
What is the reasoning behind the chevy journal crank?

Thanks for all the real advice!

Thanks to everybody else for not addressing my actual question...

Chevy rods make the crank weaker and on a 82mm cranks are un-necessary as case clearance is on a 82 is easy if you run good cap screw rods.

Many pick convenience over what works best. Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Web 163, and use VW Journals. I only use Chevy for 84mm and larger strokes. No need to make this engine complicated.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make the best parts junk in just a few min, or make them last for a very long time.it's kinda up you you and your builder and the abilities/ brains you guys have.
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

82mm CW crank
90.5 "B" P/C
IBeam Rods (5.4"?)
1.4 Rockers
Uprated short pushrods
Web 163
ACN or CB heads with 40x35mm valves
HD Springs
Pertronix SVDA
Deep Sump
Twin IDF

So a few things different from suggestions and reading. Updates in bold.
What is the deal with rod length and the proper way to size rods?
Are 1.4:1 Rockers too much?
How high of compression is safe on 87 octane?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run 1.3s with the Web 163, and 8.75:1 CR. 1.4s are too much rocker.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Web 163 with 1.1 rockers in an 1835 and am working through some issues, but idling and lack of low end torque isn't something I've experienced so far -- it's a strong cam IMO. I am going to sort it out as is as best as possible, but I feel my engine would still work fine with closer to 2 liter displacement. 8.1:1 CR would probably be not enough, at 8.7:1 it's working and it can probably be safe with even a bit more CR.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzboy wrote:

So a few things different from suggestions and reading. Updates in bold.
What is the deal with rod length and the proper way to size rods?
Are 1.4:1 Rockers too much?
How high of compression is safe on 87 octane?

Rod length is one of those things that can make your motor grow or shrink width wise. I used 5.5" 'H' beam rods in mine - it made mine 'grow' a bit. That along with the cylinder shims needed to get the deck height right. The cylinder tins were a tad short so I split some high temp 1/4" hose and stuck it on the inner ends of the tin. Works great and seals better than ever. More air over the cylinders/heads and less leakage. Motor runs nice and cool even in 95* weather. Rod length isn't something to fret over for weeks on end. Buy the ones that make for a stock sized (width) motor - especially if you're installing it in a very old VW - 65 and earlier.

Compression and octane isn't as easy as "for 87 octane run 8:1" etc. There is so much more to it. Cam will have much to say about what compression ratio you can run for 87 octane. Pick a cam and then ask that question.

Some cams are made for high ratio rockers and some aren't. I used a somewhat mild cam - CB 2242 with 1.25:1 rockers. Gentle ramps on that cam and its easy on the lifters and the bores they run in. Like I said - pick a cam and everything will fall into place - I.E. - you'll get suggestions for compression ratio and whether you should use high ratio rockers etc.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI

Last edited by OLD VW NUT on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: