Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 super vert rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sounds like the clutch disc has rusted to the pressure plate or flywheel, sometimes you can free it up by warming the car up, shutting it off, putting it in gear and starting it in gear and driving around the yard hard with the clutch pedal depressed. Sometimes it works, sometimes the motor still has to come out, if it's been sitting that long you'll likely want to replace the main seal anyways.

yeah, good idea for Stick if fiddling with the wing nut doesn't help...
nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's on jack stands replace all brake components, they're the most important thing to have is good brakes, and while the drums are off replace the wheel bearings, they're cheap. Then you can drive it
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickfancher1 wrote:
While it's on jack stands replace all brake components, they're the most important thing to have is good brakes, and while the drums are off replace the wheel bearings, they're cheap. Then you can drive it

That is the exact reason it is on the stands. I ordered and have a disc brake conversion all the way around. Actually any wearable part is being replaced in the front end as well.
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdaddy is the hero! Did exactly as said and now I have the ability to get into all gears. Third has a little bit, but fourth has a lot of chatter in there though.

Edit: it is grinding going into reverse though
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick wrote:
Edit: it is grinding going into reverse though

Could still be some roughness on the disc that needs to wear off, or the pilot bearing is dry and dragging, more exercise will answer that soon enough.
Good to hear it's unstuck.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! Not gone, just have been waiting for parts. I finally got all new vacuum lines, Bosch points, new plugs installed. Also did a valve job and set them all at .006. Now before all this the motor would fire, tonight after all this it only turns over again. Double checked my points and it is at .016 till I get it running and a dwell meter on it.

Also smelled gas, noticed that it is now leaking gas around the left side fuel injectors.
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the fuel leak, rubber hose. Still need to replace those. However, the car fired up tonight. After a quick timing adjustment to get it idling, rpm correct, and dwell set, it runs nicely.
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again! Finally getting some parts and things moving forward again.

So new disc brakes all around, new stainless brake lines all around. New ball joints, tie rod ends, urethane bushing throughout the front.

Time to test drive!

Battery was dead, so I charged it a bit and then jumped it. Started right up and after a small warm up period it started to run smoothly. Jumped in, pushed in the clutch and brake, shift to reverse....small chunk and with the clutch pushed in lurched backward and stalled ( I imagine because I had my foot on the brake). Try again, and again, and again. All the same. Try again and try to get into 1st gear...no go. Can't get it into any forward gear now, only reverse after a chunk.

Pressure plate? Throw out bearing?

Remember, this car hasn't driven on its own since 1993. Last time it powered the rear on its own, it was on jack stands too. I could get through the gears at that time.
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 79 super vert rebuild Reply with quote

Hello all! I can't believe it has almost been a year, and I have almost zero to show for it. Life gets in the way it seems. Wife and I have moved and the car went into storage for a long period. Then when it came back I quickly realized the new garage wasn't up to snuff for working on a car...no heat for winter and no 240 volt outlets. Now as I went to the house it seems the previous owners only ran a 100 amp service, so I am working on upgrading it to make the garage usable.

So the owner and I have talked and it has been decided to outsource the body and paint work. I am still doing the mechanicals though. Hopefully new things to come shortly now.
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 super vert rebuild Reply with quote

And another year gone by. BUT, car has been painted and is back ready for reassembly. New interior, top, carpet, the works basically.

So the bad or disturbing news. Talking it over and after seeing the paint job that was done, the route has changed a bit to make it a bit nicer then originally planned. That means new or highly buffed chrome and repainted engine tins.

The motor ran before being pulled for paint, so I didn't think much of it. But tonight pulling the engine tin, specifically the dog house, the cylinder heads are just packed full of mouse nesting. Can I just blow the clean or do I need to tear it down now?
stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 super vert rebuild Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A little bit of a update. Slowly working on reassembling the car. All fenders are back on now and working my way through the windows. Top and interior are soon to follow.

Also in the background is a 1972 I’m trying to get running for another lady.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: