Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with no clutch cable is fun.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Driving with no clutch cable is fun. Reply with quote

It happen first in my old 70 bus one day the cable snapped. I had to start the bus in first gear and slam shift from there on. I had to drive like 10 miles home in traffic. Not fun.
Then it happened an few year ago in my Oval only it half broke which IMO is worse because you think you can push it hard enough and it will work but nope. Again I was in traffic and slam shifting it home. I have gotten good a slam shifting. No more grinding. Shocked Hum... that reminds me. I better check the one in my 69. I have never looked at it before.

How many of you have had to slam shift yours home?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem but it was caused to a bent bowden tube and the wing nut was loosening. It was in my 67bug, I had to drive from downtown longbeach in traffic to the northside which is about 8 miles i could only get it in to second and slam it in to the other gears from there it sucked, when it was in second I had to keep the brake on cause it was trying to shoot off and eventually had to turn the car off everytime I came to a stop. Got it home and fixed it

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 18 my 67 beetle had some rusty floorpans. One day the clutch cable went, only it wasn't the clutch cable. The little metal stop behind the pedals that keeps them from coming back too far fell through the floor, so the clutch pedal pulled back so far the cable popped off the hook in the hump. I called my dad, an old hat at these problems, who proceeded to "powershift" the bug home. He's a great guy.

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I've been able to do so far is shift from first to second without the clutch. I was amazed when I did it. But it takes a lot of practice. One nice day when I'm in a big parking lot with nothing to do...
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to that I am going to fry my tansmission. I don't want to be somewhere trying it and then have it crap out on me. I think I will just wait untill the day I am forced to slam shift it.
nik
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: been there Reply with quote

yeah, that happened to me...i was going to a show and the clutch was getting funny and it was kinda hard to shift so when i got there a friend checked it out and discovered that my cable was fraying. he gave me a lesson on dry shifting in case i ever needed to, but i picked up a new cable at the show the next day(oh yea, i think i ended up with a flat tire that day too) and some great guys helped me out to get everything fixed up so i could drive home( if i recall, putting the cable in was an absolute bitch) i dont know if you guys are on here but thanks a bundle chris m. and matt c. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer i had to drive 10 miles home when the hook on my clutch pedal broke. It's not that bad, unless you have to stop and start.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Fri May 28, 2004 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
InTheWeeds6three
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funner drivin when your clutch fork breaks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just broke about a week ago, there was like two threads of the cable still together, and my hook was almost gone, wasn't a good time... I was so scared to drive it like that, you just have the feeling that something real bad is going to happen...
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple weeks ago I had to slam shift my girlfriends 72 bus home over a bunch of hills.
'65 Honda Dream
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Best I've been able to do so far is shift from first to second without the clutch. I was amazed when I did it. But it takes a lot of practice. One nice day when I'm in a big parking lot with nothing to do...

Thats usually the hardest one to get.
I drive trucks at work sometimes when the delivery guys bail out. They are big international's with 7 speed boxes in them. after the truck is moving I can bang every gear upshifting and downshifting with it. It's really quite fun, and I suppose it saves clutch.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
It's really quite fun, and I suppose it saves clutch.

And if you do it wrong it eats the gears Very Happy
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Last summer i had to drive 10 miles homem when the hook on my clutch pedal broke. It's not that bad, unless you have to stop and start.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after about 6 months of a KEP stage 1 pressure plate, my clutch pedal underneath the brake pedal developed a stress fracture and eventually bent completly over. i was at work and shoved in the clutch to start the car and the starter almost drove my car right through the wall of my office building in first gear.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remeber when my bro went to pull apart the assembly to fix it cause it wasnt shifting good everything was fine

then he noticed that the peddle it self had a cracked and was only half way but that was causing it not to go in all the way weird that one was
no one had ever seen that one
BigElipso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've broken several. I converted my first baja to RHD (not really sure why) back in the early/mid eighties and did the one I have now about 12 years ago. For some reason I never went to a hydraulic clutch so I've had to make my own cables. I've got it figured out how to route the cable but it was a lot of trial and error along the way. Needless to say I'm a bit of an expert on clutchless shifting (not by choice). I'm also pretty good at broken accelerator cable driving too.
Low_Slow
S@mb@ Pl@y@

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable busted, was slam shifting home then bam, no shifting. Busted the hockey stick in my tranny. Nothing like yanking the tranny to replace a $15 dollar part.
berniedd1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke a clutch cable too a few years back as I was going to a semiformal affair. I was fortunate to be very near a VW store so I got a new cable there and installed it by the roadside (I always carry a complete tool kit in the car just for occasions like this). Got it working well in 30 minutes. The only hitch was my being a little late and having to explain to my friends why I had greasy hands for such an occasion. Since that incident I now always carry spare cables in the car for the clutch, accelerator, handbrake, also a spare distributor, coil, lots of fuses, fuel pump, oil filter (I use a pump with built-in oil filter fitting.), fresh engine oil, and a towing rope. Oh yeah, I forgot to include my spare complete pedal assembly.
Thearn
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's never happened to me, how exactly do you shift with no clutch? Sounds like fun...and can you even start it without the clutch? Maybe i'm too young, but i'm sure it will happen eventually Very Happy
Thearn
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, everyone bow to me for i'm an administrator! Shocked oops
justmeandmycar(s)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't BOW to administrators, you bombard them with shit that's wrong with their forum!

as for no clutch, my dad had to do that in my beetle once. Fortunately, I haven't, but I know that I can shift with no clutch. I've done it a few times, without grinding once!

'66 Bug
'74 Bug
'71 Westy Poptop
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: