Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

I have an engine from a 1971 Type 1 with IRS axle and I'm putting it in a 1965 Swing axle with the original 1965 tranny. I have the new pressure plate to work with the older transmission's TO bearing. What else do I need to be prepared for before? Will everything else work cohesively? Thanks in advance.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

You would need to make room in the bell hosing for the bigger flywheel, if that has not already been done.

Also, you would need a different starter for the bigger flywheel.

The new engine is 12V so you would need to do a 12V conversion to the 1965 car if that has not already been done.
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

I bought the chassis\fiberglass body without an engine so I'm not sure what engine was in it before. (I only know it was built and had a turbo setup) I have bolted the engine in and it slid into the bell housing with no issues and we have completely rewired it with all new wiring from scratch (new fuse box, wire, connectors, everything) It had a 12v battery already in it. I tapped the ignition and the starter spun just fine and turned the engine over. I mainly asked because I put the new pressure plate on and I can't get the clutch to engage. It is stuck in the disengaged state).
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Do you happen to have pictures of your transmission throw out bearing and pressure plate you got on there?
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

I put it all back together and the clutch arm (that the cable attaches to) only moves about an inch and will not disengage. New TO bearing, new stage 1 pressure plate and new flywheel....any ideas?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Have to ask, did you adjust the clutch cable?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Check:

Misadjusted clutch cable.
Clutch pedal itself isn't cracked, and bending/tearing
Clutch cable tube in the tunnel is breaking off the welds
Missing bowden tube (since this is a buggy and ppl think it's unnecessary for some reason)
Worn out clutch Cable hook on the pedal cluster.
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Not sure about the weld on the tube in the tunnel and it doesn't have a bowden tube on it. I guess I will be adding one. I've read that they are different lengths...this pan had 14.5 inches cut out...anyone know what length tube I would need?

Last edited by clagrow on Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

clagrow wrote:
Not sure about the weld on the tube in the tunnel and it does into have a bowden tube on it. I guess I will be adding one. I've read that they are different lengths...this pan had 14.5 inches cut out...anyone know what length tube I would need?

I think that's supposed to say "doesn't have" a bowden tube.

That's the problem. You will get very poor clutch action without one. Just get the length the pan year calls for.
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

OK, I'm getting ready to figure this out once and for all this weekend. It just hit me that I keep seeing everyone say if you put a 1971 engine on a 65 swing axle you will need to do some grinding on the inside of the bell housing. My setup slides together just fine but as I mentioned it will not disengage. My bell housing doe snot have anything ground off in it. But when I bought the buggy, there was a 12v battery in it (no motor). I assumed it had had a 12v setup already. My question now is; if I have the 1971 engine with the 200mm setup (new pressure plate and flywheel) will it bolt up fine tot he 65 transmission? and if so, I'm guessing this could be the issue?). BTW, the pictures above are of the actual bell housing on my car. What needs ground down? (again the engine with PP on it slide in fine).
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

This recent thread has just about everything you need to know about clearancing that bell housing. But, as you say, if it slides in fine and the engine rotates, then it doesn't need this clearancing..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=772913
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

After seeing pics in the thread you shared I see that mine is already "ground"...it is just done so perfectly it didn't look like it was. Thanks. Now to figure out why the clutch won't disengage.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Edit: sorry, this is a duplicate, I meant to post this in the other thread in Late Model, where you're discussing some of the same stuff. I'll just leave it here for now. (But I also replied in that other thread.)

I noticed parts of your discussion are in a couple different threads, so I may have missed something. But what is the date code on that tranny you're picturing? I ask because it doesn't look clearanced to me, it looks 12 volt. If it began life as a '67 or '68 transaxle, it would be a 12v swingaxle, explaining why it looks so cleanly clearanced.

The date code is those 3 little sets of (circled) numbers cast into the bottom-inside of the housing, below the input shaft.
clagrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing Axle Engine Swap Reply with quote

Interesting! Because it is titled as a 71 but the front end and a few other things that folks told me to look at to determine the chassis actual year, everything pointed to a 65. And I totally understand how people would use a different title for a lot of these chassis that didn't have titles but now I'm thinking I may have some kind of Frankenstein thing going on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: