Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Panel Size Question?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my Yakima roof rack mounted 135w solar panel and now only carry a 120w foldable solar panel when needed. I have same aux battery and power needs as yours.

Edit: panel is 120w, not 100w

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panel Size Question? Reply with quote

realfstkid wrote:
WestyDreamer wrote:
I currently have little DC needs.
I have a Truck Fridge and a 110ah Deep Cycle Battery and Battery Combiner.

I have a very similar set up: TF-49 with a 106ah Deep Cycle Battery. Besides the fridge, I have the radio going pretty quietly part of the day, and I charge my cell phone in the evenings. I have a 120 watt solar panel, with an MPPT charger, and generally speaking, in the summer, with full sun--albeit not angled at the sun, mine is hard mounted to my racks--my charger enters sustain mode around noon, meaning that I have a good bit of extra capacity with the solar panel.

I would say that if you are looking to simply prolong your battery's life, you may get away with a 40-50 watt panel, but that being said, those fold up panels tend to be much smaller than 40-50 watt, and in my experience much more expensive. I paid $100 on CL for a brand new 120 watt PC 12v solar panel, and I know this isn't out of line with what others are paying for panels of this size, if you're willing to hunt out a deal.

The GoWesty one, at 80 watts, may just be able to run your system indefinitely if you have access to full sun, and you take the time to insure it's angled at the sun every so often:

GoWesty 80 Watt Compact Solar Panel

As for the idea of it being movable, I think this is key. I really wish mine was more movable, as you gain a LOT of power by being able to keep it angled directly at the sun, and it would be nice to have a 20' length of wire so I could park in the shade and then just run the panel out into the sunshine.

Hope that helps.

Really good points re: 80W folding panel and 20' wire. I believe there may be 100-120W folding panels of similar size to the GW 80W folding panel available elsewhere. I would also recommend adding a second aux bat in tandem with the first.
realfstkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Panel Size Question? Reply with quote

WestyDreamer wrote:

I have a very similar set up: TF-49 with a 106ah Deep Cycle Battery. Besides the fridge, I have the radio going pretty quietly part of the day, and I charge my cell phone in the evenings. I have a 120 watt solar panel, with an MPPT charger, and generally speaking, in the summer, with full sun--albeit not angled at the sun, mine is hard mounted to my racks--my charger enters sustain mode around noon, meaning that I have a good bit of extra capacity with the solar panel.

I would say that if you are looking to simply prolong your battery's life, you may get away with a 40-50 watt panel, but that being said, those fold up panels tend to be much smaller than 40-50 watt, and in my experience much more expensive. I paid $100 on CL for a brand new 120 watt PC 12v solar panel, and I know this isn't out of line with what others are paying for panels of this size, if you're willing to hunt out a deal.

The GoWesty one, at 80 watts, may just be able to run your system indefinitely if you have access to full sun, and you take the time to insure it's angled at the sun every so often:

GoWesty 80 Watt Compact Solar Panel

As for the idea of it being movable, I think this is key. I really wish mine was more movable, as you gain a LOT of power by being able to keep it angled directly at the sun, and it would be nice to have a 20' length of wire so I could park in the shade and then just run the panel out into the sunshine.

Hope that helps.
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Solar Panel Size Question? Reply with quote

I'd like to get a Solar Panel but have concerns about where I'd like to mount it or how large of a Panel I'd really need.

So here's my needs and question.

My normal camping events usually only last about 2-4 days.
I have found that my deep cycle will normally carry the fridge for 2-3 days without starting or driving the Van to extend the batteries life.

So here's my thought about my needs of a Solar Panel.
I'd like to go with a smaller size Panel that I can make usable not hard mounted to the roof etc and just connect it when wanted sort of like one of those portable fold up units but without the cost.

Do you solar experts think that a smaller size say 30 or 50 watt solar panel will help extend my deep cycle. My thoughts are is that even if a small panel it would add continuous recharging thus extending the usable ah's of my deep cycle.

My original thoughts were to install a 100 watt Panel but they are like 4'x2' and due to size would have to be hard mounted whereas the smaller ones are about 2x2' and could be stored or packed as needed.

I'm thinking that due to there small size that I can store it easily and just set it on the roof or rig up a hanger to hang from the rain gutters etc when needed? Idea

I truly have no need to hang a large solar panel on my roof that will be seldom used. I realize that many think that Biggers better but small solar panels are often used on small boats etc.

Anyone have a small one that works for there needs.
Your Thoughts Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: