Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 ASI Riviera -new member, new owner looking for info
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: 83.5 ASI Riviera -new member, new owner looking for info Reply with quote

Hi All, great forum. So much info to delve into. Thanks up front for the expertise. I've recently purchased an 83.5 ASI Riviera, zero rot (at least visibly), everything works, no cracks in dash or interior issues. Feel like I stole it for 1500. Camps great.
To the point, tons of info for the Westies, the ASI groups are bust and I'm needing info on complete top removal (tips and tricks) and such things as what kind of gaskets will I need for reinstall etc. plan is to repair top cracks while van is being sprayed and have Line-X applied to top thinking it will hide repair blemishes and add a little strength. (They do offer other colors than black Smile
I have done the normal stuff (fuel lines were in desperate need, full tune which helped immensely etc) still need to rebuild brakes and contend with some shift linkage issues.
Plans for winter is body and paint, springs, Mefro's and BFG's. Drive the 1.9 til she becomes too big of hassle and look into a Bostig.
Any Vanagon owners in AL TN area give me a shout! Rare birds down here...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics for the curious...
(Don't forget 'Bama in your searches, low rust climate and the prices are good)

1500 and already camping it. Seems like a really good one to throw some time and money in...any ASI people please feel free to tell me when and where to duck!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's an 83.5 Riviera, same interior as mine. Gentle with the top and it's too late to duck, you've already been had. Congrats on nice looking van. There is a source for all the manuals if you need it, ask me. We are not so many as the Westies but we are Vanagons regardless. Good luck and have fun!

Mine has been professionally converted to a 1.9L TD AAZ and its zoom, zoom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply. I have all the equipment manuals with the van but thank you for the offer. My biggest concern for now is what to expect when removing the top. I want to be sure I can source needed seals/gaskets before diving in as I plan to patch any cracks and reinforce inner structure with aluminum angle to better distribute pressure points on interior liner (and add some cosmetic headliner materials while its off.
If you know anyone that may have been down this road with an ASI top please point them my way! Nice van by the way Smile
Happy travels!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be very, and I mean VERY careful when removing the ASI top.
I've heard from more than once it cracking/splitting from twisting/bending while beign removed.
do NOT stack or mount anything to the roof preserve it like it's glass. because it's less durable then glass.

and from one 1980 ASI owner enjoy the uniquity of a straight up poptop

not sure you've been here but it's nice to have the sales brochures
http://www.rivieraregistry.com/lit.php

here's a pic of mine
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/259444.jpg

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That interior is clean! Super nice van for the price, congrats.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the interior looks almost new for 30yr old van. My 1980 ASI interior are mostly gone and in really bad shape. The poptop wood frame was dry rotten and falling apart, had to redo the wood frame. As far as seals, i don't think they ever have any poptop seals. Also my van came with a set of bug screen that you screw on the outside seal of the side sliding windows, not sure if its original or not. I don't think the westy screens will work without windows. We are definitely a rare breed, even couple westy owners thought my van is westy.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments and advice on handling the top. I myself was very surprised on how well the interior cleaned up. (4 days of nothing but cleaning...) and another 2 weeks of UPS deliveries and the flying potato is doing well. (Knock on wood)

I love seeing everyone else's Riviera's! Not sure why someone would pass a good one up. The cabinets are well made, the stove fridge are off shelf RV stuff (easy replacement) the upper bunk is strong and I have zero rattle on the road. What else does one need?

On an interior question, could someone photograph their folding bench? Mine is not correct and I would like to see the front and back of it.
Does a standard size bench seat fit between cabinets?

I saw an older post where a member supported the internal perimeter with aluminum angle. Great solution for dispersing the pressure on the handle points when popping the top.

So the top is simply held on with the interior and exterior screws and sealed with perimeter rubber? I may be making more out of it than it really is. Will definitely have extra hands around for a gentle removal.

I haven't seen it done, but I'm thinking a professional line-x application will add some strength and preservation qualities to top.
As a new member just wanted to say how much I appreciate the responses and PM's! This forum rocks.

Like many of us, I had been searching for the "right" van for a long time. This one had been sitting in a field behind an industrial building for nearly a year, so it was a case of needing to rescue before it wasted away. Never knew a thing about ASI until seeing it and knowing something was amiss.

The van does have the alum frame residential type screens over slide windows. It's my understanding that this window assembly (all vans with sliders) is tricky and pretty hard to source if broken when replacing seals?

Just trying to get idea of what things I should be wary about and what things I should seek out a seasoned van person on. (I generally have trust issues with people working on old stuff of mine..)

Anyhow, long winded post but I'm stoked about the project. Have had a few older veedubs (70 beetle, 88 GLI) but first van.

Please tell me if I'm breaking Samba code...I'm new to these forums and TRY to find previous posts before running mouth.
Sean
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my build thread. I rebuilt my asi top and took lots of pictures. Please ask questions. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not breaking any codes. your welcome to come in and talk all you want about your van and as much as you want about anyone else's van.

the sliders are standard passenger van windows. with a 80's aluminum frame overlay. I changed my DS slider out for a Jalousie a single best mod )in my opinion)

as for the rear bench I installed a true westy bench as the ASI was limited and low. the westy bench is a better mousetrap and holds more stuff, even mice. it does fit between the ASI cabinets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Vanagon upgrade addiction.

Man, that ASI upper bed looks roomy. Makes me want to get out and camp.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roomy to only a minor factor
the top is nearly exactly the height from my knees to my back. so once I get up there I can barely turn around to sleep head front..
the best feature is the weatherproof vinylized fabric. and that ASI put an interior dome light up there.. I've swapped in a marine LED unit with white & red illumination.. low draw and the red is nice if I can ever remember which way to flip the switch. else blind my night vision.
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bench seat info. Time to hit up the classifieds! The bench that is in it is basically plywood on hinges with square foam covered by a poorly stapled
fabric. And now that you mention it, sits pretty low.

My 2nd campout it rained, the window mod is a really great idea. I was just reading the post about it. Looks really nice/factory clean!

As far as the roominess of the upper bunk, not bad but trying to get in a sleeping bag once up there is much like trying to make a bed while your in it! Takes a little forethought...and leave the sleep bag at home.
Digging these little vans.

Again, big newbie thanks on the info!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your keenness and spirit. Keep posting. I'm really thrilled to see another blue interior. I thought I was the odd man out. Do you have the Automatic furnace as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee I do not have the heater. Sad Van was originally purchased in Idaho, so I found it odd that it didn't have heater. Here in Alabama I will gladly take the additional storage. A cold winter day here usually involves changing from shorts to pants. Wink

PO believes an ASI side tent is stored somewhere, but I have yet to see it. (Would really like to have it, just to keep it all together) If it turns up I'll post a pic for the few the proud the Riv people...

The blue interior has grown on me. At first it was a bit, well, blue.
But after seeing the original interiors available, I would say the blue looks the least dated in our model year. The later ASI's had more of a Westfalia interior group and seem pretty slick.

Maybe an organized ASI stickie could be started to document the Riviera's. I'm sure between all the ASI people one could get a good idea of what all the conversion consists of. And any ASI specific work/mods all in one place. The Riviera forums don't seem to be very active and focus mostly on the earlier bus models.

Is that the original color/ paint scheme on your van? I like the 2-tone.
I'm considering my paint options now. Debating on a white repaint or possibly going beige/tan to add a little color to it yet still match blue/brown interior...

S
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always fun to see pics of other ASI's

here's one currently on ebay if you're interested in ASI Pr0n
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281356551400
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my blue interior. Somewhere in the past 4 or 5 years I have seen a pic of a sliding upper bed extender with foam to lengthen the functionality of the upper birth. I'm not sure it was Andrew Libby but he might know about it. Look in my gallery (DAIZEE) to see pics of my Riviera. The devil jumped in front of me when I was ordering my material for the new rear foam sofa and mattress. Animal prints. Cool Laughing

I too like the straight up design and because it is just me and my little dog I use the upper deck for storage when I'm camped. I love how the full side zippered windows allow me top flight full van aeration. I don't understand why the front access port to the luggage bin doesn't have a screen.

I took out the main salon carpet and liner as rodents had lived for several years in my van prepurchase from WA. After scrubbing the interior with toothbrushes and removing the upgraded front seats (yours look to have been updated as well as original seats (which I had) were vinyl and not comfortable. I upgraded with arm rests. Anyhow I pressure washed the front carpet and two seats and then covered the main salon floor and fridge door with blonde faux wood flooring. Just need to wipe it down to clean it and I like it better than the carpeting.

Yes mine is the original paint. I''ve spray painted all my black accessories with flat black and really makes it look neat and tidy (which it rarely is with me in house!) If you haven't started one start a gallery where you can post all your pics.

Your van looks in much better condition than mine did initially but lots of elbow grease makes it worth while. Now I just do a wipe down periodically and freshen up my dash with penetrating oil. Dan from syracuse has incorporated lots of neat ideas into his ASI.
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMCD thanks for pointing me in right direction with top resto!
I may send you a PM once I start the paint process this Winter...I knew someone out there has done it!

Daizee, I have an original upper bed extension. Real simple to replicate.
It is 1/2" x 29" x 39" plywood (you could easily choose a thicker piece for more ply) It has 1" foam on top and a zippered fabric holding it all in place. The foam is cut about 3/4" over the edges of the plywood.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same bed extension too but mine on the other side have some ugly fabric/carpet. Also looks like your top bunk have a fabric cover while mine is just the plastic, no cover all all. Wonder if it was originally covered??

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SKR123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yiucycle, the top bed is actually another removable foam pad on top of the plastic covered in same material (with zipper) as the extension (without the plywood). Made just like the extension, so probably easy for someone with sewing skills. (Not me!) Given the age of the foam and condition of fabric I would guess this is the original look. At least for the 83.5 models. Unless you are going for original, I would probably look for other more comfortable solutions for pad. (It does allow top to close without removal and aligns flush with extension). Not sure about carpeted extension, maybe a PO's idea? It may keep it from sliding in track?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: