Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Yes, I have done that sort of math before and it's generally correct to within a week. I compared it against where the VIN # fell in the charts though, not against what it said on the birth certificate.

Are you wondering if that engine is original?
I would say Yes since it's so close, unless you know otherwise.
You can also Order a VW Birth Certificate and they will tell you if it's original if you give them to engine # to verify.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cooter19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

I received a birth certificate years ago but never gave a thought to looking up the engine number. I know I waited a very long time for the certificates as I sent in for three. I am not sure if they would answer my outreach to them with an engine number. I wish someone could publish the information they have that's got to be on a micro phisch somewhere......

On a side note, Is there an official way to find out how many ragtops were made in 55? Striking zero at this moment.

Thank you!

Nathan
calibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Hea EverettB you should make this topic a STICKY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

It is - it's in the FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Engine case 1-0679350 available! very early oval 25hp engine case!
EurOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Engine Case 1-0562155 Available. Zwitter Case. Late februari 1952.
For split beetle with the oval dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SOLD SOLD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EurOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Engine 1956387 July 1957 late Oval.
Incomplete
Turns by hand.
Located in the Netherlands.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EurOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Incomplete Engine 1471511 May 1956 Late Oval availebal for sale.

Located in the Netherlands

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

available
1-1190011 / 55
1-1267098 /55
2201552 /58

2201470 /58

1543599 /58
more to come!
all bare cases
I can check condition.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

I have the bare case of engine -1-1212444 if it belongs in anyone's car
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

EurOval wrote:
Engine 1956387 July 1957 late Oval.
Incomplete
Turns by hand.
Located in the Netherlands.

I think this would be mid August 57, so early square window beetle? I have a July 15/57 built, August 2 delivered square window I'm looking for a block to in the 1937XXX - 1939XXX range
pdxeuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

I have 1-0956080 which looks to be 1954. I have a May 1959 bug and looking for a case around the 3000000 number.
1959 Bug
1977 Westy Bus - sold
1968 Bug - sold
2002 Eurovan - sold
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Jrb572 wrote:
I am looking for an early 1957 April motor. The car was built on the 11th.

I think I would like from 1797568 - 1813000 give or take a few in April.

I have 1909548 which I think is June. Motor runs but my need a case half. The side with out the serial number. I have a weird trap door bolted between the oil pump and the oil pressure relief valve. Just noticed it wasn't supposed to be there.

You should search for a march engine, too. Engines where often build a month or more earlier. My oval has July engine and chassi, was buildt in August.

Its easier to get engines from mid 57 and newer, they have better oil feed, and are better engines. So I think the old cases where scrapped when they came in for refurbishment at VW.

I know old topic, but always topical! Trying to guess my engine number for my what the birth certificate is a July 15/57 build date. It left the factory August 2, 1957. Yes it's a square window, serial 1601113. The closest to my car I can find is 1606506 with and engine 1927844. According to Vin/chassis numbers on the Samba, the newest my engine number could be is start of August 57, but this other car doesn't line up with the charts as the engine is too early for those stats which say 1937052 is the last engine in July?
Someone with a July 13/57 oval, has a serial number 1595226 and original engine # 1922450. This car is 5620 cars away from the end of July stats, but the engine is 14602 away from the end of the month stats. I assume engines also went to buses and ghia's then, but in lesser numbers so the numbers would never be sequential on cars? I wish we could know how much of a break happened between late ovals and the first square windows, although if these date numbers are correct, the oval was built on a Saturday and my car a day away on Monday. So.... which is correct, detective work or the progressive refinements numbers. The PR dates say Aug 2 has a car 1601517 had engine 1939746? That's 671 cars from start of month, but 2694 engines after the start of the month? My head hurts Wink

(Just to add confusion, Progressive refinements says August 1, 1957, the backing plates were changed and the wheel cylinder is now at the top. My car still has it on the bottom like an oval. I would guess that the backing plates are original to my car... which is mostly original in a lot of other ways.) So is my car a July 57, or an August 57... yes, a square window, and I really don't care about the dates.. just what motor is most correct.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Ar you trying to figure out the exact number based on other cars and VW data? Impossible.

I believe all you can is make an educated guess based on whatever date you can find.

Even then I'm sure it would be in a range.

I don't think there is a guarantee that the engine in VIN # 1601114 (one VIN after yours) had a higher engine #. They probably got a batch and stuck them in as needed as the assembly line rolled onward. Would 1601114 even necessarily be behind 1601113 on the assembly line? What is one was a ragtop and one a hardtop, necessitating different assembly work? Something to think about...
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know if they did a run of deluxe hardtops, then a run of ragtops, then standards... or intermixed along the way? No, not trying to find an exact number, but within 20,000 would be nice... and where my questions come from is as the crossover of months and new body style add an extra layer Of confusion
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

i have some cases.

casually looking for #503416 for my bug. have #596780 that would be available in a trade here or for a different 25hp.

cases i have:
1046134 - april 55
1180911 - sept 55
1638302 - nov 56
1872780 - may 57
2034?09 - oct 57
2138724 - dec 57

also have several more modern cases from 58s, 59s, 60s and several dual ports.
mark1laura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Looking to find a 1957 model year engine case with a number that preferably places it in Nov/Dec 1956 production - i.e in the 1 600 000's. Thx for any leads!
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

mark1laura wrote:
Looking to find a 1957 model year engine case with a number that preferably places it in Nov/Dec 1956 production - i.e in the 1 600 000's. Thx for any leads!

Shocked

okay then, up one post, there is case 1 638 302 as stated for Nov 1956...
mark1laura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

Thx TornadoRed06, had noticed that post right after I posted mine and we are in contact. Cheers!
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Beetle Engine Finder Thread Reply with quote

davetaylor wrote:
I have the bare case of engine -1-1212444 if it belongs in anyone's car

This is a September 1955 case, to save anyone the trouble of looking it up.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: