Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen NLA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! Photobombed by your dog. Some days ya just can't win. Wink

Seriously, good video and good products. Good on ya!
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a good looking dog and destined to be a star someday,......... I am lucky to be upstaged in such a manner!!
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not looking like I will be running a BEIGE version of the Skylight screen as there just was not enough interest expressed to justify the special order and quantity of material I would have to purchase to make it happen. So yesterday I was making a new panel for my sliding door from 1/8" ABS and since it was bright white it would require a coat of paint to tone it down and blend more with the interior of my van. I chose a Satin IVORY paint and since I was setting up for that I thought I would carefully mask off an assembled Skylight screen and paint it at the same time. Here are the results. I am not interested to paint these for sale but simply post it as a point of interest that you can easily do it yourself to a color of your choice. This screen was a black version and since it is a custom for my personal van I did the 2tone effect by masking off the center logo. The paint I used is shown in the last picture. This sort of paint job should be easily within the capabilities of most if not all westy owners. I did manage to get a few spots of paint of the screen but it cleaned up ok with varasol paint thinners.

Gerald

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that! Where did you find the VW pattern?
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
You're braver than I am! Smile

BTW, my wife wondered if the outside width of the frame might be better off about 1/4" wider, to conceal the yellow glop that Goo Gone and even acetone can't remove. It probably would mean necking the frame down where it goes under the winder for the skylight. Just a thought from SWMBO.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but check out this link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551318&start=0

It worked like a charm, no more brown goo, looks nice and clean.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite follow how you used the chisel. Did you basically just drag it over the glue residue, relying on the blade to be, in a effect, a non-bending razor blade?
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the chisel exactly as you would use it on wood. Push it forward with very gentle downward pressure (no mechanical assistance i.e. no hammer) its all steady hands and angle of the blade. You are basically shaving the glue off little bits at a time, taking it down to the fiberglass which is the same color as the flocking and although it will appear as a shiny surface after compared to the flocking, it still blends in rather nice. The idea is to keep your outside cut lines in the flocking straight as possible for a clean look. keep your angle of the blade as small as possible to avoid digging in by accident causing a gouge. I laid out a big drop sheet to catch all the glue shaving for quick and easy cleanup. Total time was about 15 mins. Use a good sharp chisel with no nicks or dents in the blade (this is key), buy a new one if needed, the results are worth it.

I don't get too many compliments from the wife after I complete a job on the Westy, but this time I got a "wow it looks so much cleaner in here Smile". I didn't even tell her about the new screen in advance so it was totally an unbiased first impression.

Here is a quick little video showing the technique being used on wood around .040 seconds is the part you want to watch.
Link

Good luck
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really confused. Chisel at right angles to the surface with the glue or parallel to that surface?
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald, thanks for the great screens! These are well worth the money. The mosquitos won't have a chance. -Chad

215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chad,

Glad they made the postal trip to Haines in one piece. I spend a lot of time just packaging these larger screens to hopefully ensure they arrive safely!

Thanks for posting the pics the screens make a Nice looking Westy even nicer! I have the LT style mirrors on mine as well but haven't ponied up for the SA grill and nice bumpers although it is part of some plan in my mind, If only there was unlimited budgets eh.

cheers
Gerald
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow Vanagonauts,

The Skylight Screen Machine has been turned on for Season 2- the Redux and I cut 2 dozen frames today to stock up and allow me to fill a Group Purchase from members of the UK based 80-90 club.

I do offer a 10% discount on orders of 5 or more pieces when shipped to a single address and there is also a large postage savings to be had on multiple pieces shipped together. 5 screen kits in one package will cut the postage cost per screen to half or less than the single screen postage cost but even 2 or 3 screens in a package can be a good savings. Please contact me thru my classified ad for more details: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1650932

Gerald

65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about shipping them with the "spoilage" to protect the ears and edges or would it make the package too big?
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have only ever had one report of damage in the post and it would have happened regardless of any added pvc. I replaced the damaged panel at no cost to the customer. My packaging for shipping has proved to be very effective to date so I see no reason to change anything at this point unless I have a run of bad luck. Thanks for mentioning it though, might be useful at some point.

cheers

Gerald

Last edited by backyard_cnc on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you selling the front screens?
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all screens, front rear and skylight, as shown in my samba classified ad are built and shipped to order. Please review the classified ad mentioned a few posts above for complete details or PM me if you have unanswered questions.

Thanks
Gerald
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently shipped a number screens to the UK for a group buy from a group of westy owners on the Club 80-90 Forum. My new friend Daniel who organized the buy, produced a great installation video which puts my own video to shame! Please check it out at the link below and also view his other videos while you're there.

Gerald

https://vimeo.com/125075145
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald, The screen for the front door window, is the door glass able to be rolled up or must it stay in the position in the pic? Thanks.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="backyard_cnc"]Not a skylight screen and I will likely start a new thread soon on this related topic , but here's a sneak peak at a front window screen I mocked up today. Slips into the window groove and laps the top of the glass which rolls up to clamp the screen into place.

Unfortunately the overall size might make shipping a bit of a $$ problem but at least my westy will have them Very Happy . Gerald

Gerald: For some destinations, check the cost of sending via Greyhound Bus. You have to take them to your local terminal, and the buyer will have to go to his bus station to pick them up, but it should cut shipping to less than half. I used to make a 3-wheel pedaled vehicle for the handicapped we shipped that way; Greyhound's size limit is huge, and an accommodating weight limit, too. I shipped a Ford 3-speed tranny once, and I bought an extra targa top for a Porsche 914 once; it was 46 x 32, and no problem. Check first to see if they've reduced limits,
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front window screens are not able to stay in place when the window is up. The screen fits into the track where the glass slides up/down and the glass actually holds it up into place!

I have used Grayhound to ship larger heavier items within Canada but not for lightweight stuff like this. Plus I have a post office within 10 round trip from my house but. The Grayhound terminal is over an hour round trip in traffic and likely $8 in gas in my truck so hardly convenient even if it was several dollars cheaper.

Check out my Classified Ads for neat stuff:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2364358
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had our first camping trip with the skylight screen this weekend.
It was worth the purchase just to laugh at the mosquitoes trying to get into our nicely-ventilated skylight!
Great product that enhanced our camping experience! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: