Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen NLA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the kind words. I am down to the last dozen with 4 heading out today and several more just waiting payment. 4 each of black or gray left. First paid first shipped. not sure I will run this product again so nows the time to act.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my Classified Ads for neat stuff:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2364358
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Do they still melt / warp in the sun?
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

not sure why you feel the need for the snipe, did you buy one and have an issue? Off hand I don't see you on my customer list. the one in my van has no problem so far and I have had only 2 customer issues in about 300 sales so far that have been brought to my attention . Even VW has issues with plastic trim in some vans so I would imagine this product will be no different. Thanks for your concern however and if you are in fact a customer and have an issue please feel free to message me privately so that I might address it.

iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
Hi guys,

The PVC used to make the screen kits is rated to stay rigid up to about 120 degrees F and starts to soften and will sag unders its own weight at about 130~ 150 degrees. My own experiments with a heat gun and laser thermometer have now borne this out. There is a certainly a potential that if the shade panel is left in place with your skylight closed and your van parked in direct sunshine the small air space formed above the panel could become superheated over time and the PVC may sag. I personally have left mine in place for several very hot days without issue but the potential for excess heat build up is there especially in direct sunlight in southern areas so please use your judgement and if your van is simply parked and left or being driven please remove and stow the panel as I have always recommended. The shade panel insert was meant to be a aid to darken your interior for a sleep in in the morning and not an interior darkening device to be left in at all times. If the skylight cover is open to allow air flow and heat escape there is dramatically less likelihood of this occurring and also if the pop top is up the angle of the panel is such there is less tendency for it to potentially sag in the center if the heat was to rise.

Sorry if this has caused anyone inconvenience.

Thanks

Gerald

From this thread.

I was in fact a customer, and my screens were badly warped. Not looking for a refund or anything, genuinely wondering if you switched to a more appropriate material.

Not a snipe at all, sorry if it seemed that way.
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

no problems sorry I took it the wrong way and sorry to hear you had an issue, I will certainly recheck my contact file to see if we discussed it at any point as I don't seem to have you on my basic customer list. Did you change user ids on here?

As I mentioned I have only had only a few issues that were brought to my attention over the past 2 years regarding skylight kits and the insert panel was the main issue and thus the need for the early disclaimer that you so conveniently reposted.

I learned a lot from this experience but for now I am moving on to pursue other projects and designs but I have sold some 500 plus individual screens including the front and rear window insert screens over the past 3 seasons and consider the lack of complaints to be a success at this point.

pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with warping.
(See attached photos)

Initially VERY HAPPY with product.
After initial warppage,
I put a reflective aluminum surface on the plastic,
however, that did not stop further warping.

Note both the outside frame and the insert are affected.

Would like some resolution, it's a great idea, wrong materials.

backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics and very sorry to hear about your issues. To me it looks as if you have possibly left the insert panel in place for an extended period of time which traps the heat exacerbating the problem all around as outlined in previous posts advising against this. I would suspect that adding the metal foil likely made things worst for the outside frame. My personal westy has had a unit for 2 years with no significant change in the shape but I never use the insert panel and my van is typically parked in partial shade for much of the day. While the PVC material never changed, over the course of producing these I have made many changes to the way they are assembled which could possibly have some effect. Everybody's situation would be different with variations in average local temperature and the parking location of the van etc.. It is also possible that stress variations within the material itself caused during manufacture could be partially to blame for the warpage. This PVC material itself is rated for outdoor usage in sunshine and is used in the sign industry. Since temperature caused the problem its likely reheating it to approx. 150~160 degrees and then clamping it flat while it cools should also flatten it back out.

Alternatively while I still have a few gray units available I can certainly replace yours with a brand new unit for the cost of postage/handling to send it to you. If you PM me we can arrange that.

I am currently working on a totally new design that will be vacuum formed ABS and would totally replace the original knob bezel plus completely cover any residual glue damage to the poptop for a very finished look. I am currently building a vacuum thermo forming machine to make it cost effective for me to form and machine these in house. I hope to offer it with a removable screen as well as possible lighting and fan options that a fully moulded frame could support and are not really possible with the flat design. Any early users of my original no Velcro design will be offered the option to upgrade at a very attractive price point compared to first time buyers. I am still in preliminary design phase but it could be available mid next season. the nature of its manufacture will mean it is a much more expensive product but since many people have cracked and broken bezels it can kill 2 birds with one stone.

photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:

I am currently working on a totally new design that will be vacuum formed ABS and would totally replace the original knob bezel plus completely cover any residual glue damage to the poptop for a very finished look. I am currently building a vacuum thermo forming machine to make it cost effective for me to form and machine these in house. I hope to offer it with a removable screen as well as possible lighting and fan options that a fully moulded frame could support and are not really possible with the flat design. Any early users of my original no Velcro design will be offered the option to upgrade at a very attractive price point compared to first time buyers. I am still in preliminary design phase but it could be available mid next season. the nature of its manufacture will mean it is a much more expensive product but since many people have cracked and broken bezels it can kill 2 birds with one stone.

SWEET! Dancing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Melted Skylight Screen Reply with quote

Gerald,

I have not received a replacement as you promised.

you wrote on Sept. 18:
"... I can certainly replace yours with a brand new unit
for the cost of postage/handling to send it to you.
If you PM me we can arrange that. "

I did PM you and on Sept 18th PayPal'd you $21 shipping as you requested,
and then I see on Oct 3 you refunded the amount, and wrote:

Note from GERALD HYNES (on PayPal refund page )
"I had to refund this payment as it was for instant cash which doesn't trigger a shipping option.
Also I can find no record from 2014 to current of having made a sale under the name of Paul Mayfield
and wonder if it was processed under another name? tnx"

It was PayPal'd to you under my name. See attached PayPal screenshot showing $90 paid on June 2, 2015.

Please note my new address in Clovis, CA in the PM sent to you on Sept 18th.

backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Paul,

I am not sure why you choose to post this here in the public forum when simply PMing me would have done. But since you have I will reply in kind.

You seem to want a confrontation and I was merely trying to find out where to ship the free replacement as I simply could not find your previous transaction (to get a shipping address) on my Paypal account when I was scanning thru ( I didn't have a date afterall!) If you included the address in your PM to me I may have overlooked it since PayPal takes care of all my shipping and I only ship to the address on the actual account. If that's the case I apologize for my oversight in missing it in a PM, however that doesn't change the fact that this $21 cash payment (for postage) due to its instant cash nature didn't trigger a shipping option. I wasn't saying the initial transaction never happened just that I couldn't find it. I sold you a product over a year ago and you used it in a manner that I specifically said was not advisable and then you modified it in a manner which exacerbated your heat problems but yet I still offered you a free replacement simply for the cost of shipping. I am not AMAZON or General Motors just one guy in small workshop trying to fill a need and I really don't appreciate your attitude when I am just trying to help you here.

I have done over 500 transactions on Paypal in the time since you purchased from me in June of 2015 and my mind is not a steel trap to recall each and every customer and their shipping address. I am gonna be honest with you that your current approach and demeanor is not making it easy for me to continue to be nice here! I can't ship you a replacement if I don't know where to ship it now can I? I had to refund the first payment as I simply need you to resend it as a payment for goods which will trigger a shipping option and provide me with your address which I don't currently have. I get discounted shipping thru PayPal that is not available to me if I actually have to line up at the post office. If you want me to work with you then you gotta work with me!

sincerely

pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Gerald,

No worries,
Have re-sent you a PayPal and my shipping address.
PM me if you have any questions.

Looking forward to getting the grey skylight replacement installed.

THANK YOU for bringing a better solution to the market,
the only flaw is the low temp materials.
hope your next generation version survives our Calif. weather.
We do see 100* in the summer nearly every day.

Paul

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Er, necro-posting but... where did this thread continue or reappear? Or did the project grind to a halt?

I have one of the original units and remain satisfied with it. Temperature got to my insert, too, but I've managed reduce the warpage through the extremely complex technique of flipping the insert over and letting sag back into place. If it goes too far, flip it again and... wash, rinse, repeat.

The only other problem with leaving the insert in place is it rattled on occasion. A bit of felt placed in a few, right, places fixed the problem.
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Not dead just not active! I discontinued regular production of the screen a year or so ago but still occasionally do a small run of 4~6 pieces when I get a few request. Window screens are still available at this point.

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Gotit. What's the state of the ABS version?
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

No advance on development as I just have too many projects and I just couldn’t keep up with producing the various other products I do (non VW) and move it forward. I hope to revisit it at some point but I gave up trying to say when that might be!

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Is there any value in flattening the insert and then gluing the silvered windshield foam "heat shields" on the insert? It would, of course, limit flipping the insert, though... Wink
xpedition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

@RBEmerson I'm in the market for a no velcro screen if you're interested in getting a group together and replacing yours.

@backyard_cnc 4-6 are enough to do a run you say?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

I'm keeping the unit. Even with some warping it's better than what was there. The PO did an incredible trash job trying to glue in the screen. No way I want to see that again.
Questy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

I’d be into a run as well. 2 doorscreens and a skylight screen.

Shipping to 98368.

Let me know.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Design custom WESTFALIA Skylight Screen with no velcro! Reply with quote

Would still be interested in one of the screens as well if another run is done!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: