Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A good first vehicle?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

At what age did you get your first bus?!
16-18
32%
 32%  [ 23 ]
22-27
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
28-33
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
34-39
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
19-21
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 70

ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: A good first vehicle? Reply with quote

I recently just turned 18 and have always loved split window busses. I understand they do take some work (rotating wheels, fixing up, oil, etc.) but I wanted it to be my first car. I specifically wanted a T1 split window but there are two problems. Price and convincing. I could go approx $5,000-$6,000 TOPS! Also since my mom will pay half and I would pay the other half, I need convincing. She does not want me to purchase a 50 year car, so what are some good arguments? Gorgeous pictures of the bus didn't work... (Maybe she doesn't appreciate them!).
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, you won't get far with that budget these days unless you get really lucky.

You could get an alright bay window for that budget.

Also expect to do WAY more work than "(rotating wheels, fixing up, oil, etc.)"

Why not start out with a bug?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your poll should have ages 16-18 and 19-21 separate. I feel like you learn a TON from 18-21 that you don't know when you are 16. I got my first bus at 21 so im at the tail end of your categories but I had come VERY far from when I was 16 with my first car (1964 chevy chevelle).
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Honestly, you won't get far with that budget these days unless you get really lucky.

I don't see the craftsmanship in the bays as much as the split windows. I understand there is much to do to keep the car up and running but I have time for some TLC. I've always loved the Samba, and the ability to lug my surfboard and road trip with a crew sounds better than getting a Bug.
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Your poll should have ages 16-18 and 19-21 separate. I feel like you learn a TON from 18-21 that you don't know when you are 16. I got my first bus at 21 so im at the tail end of your categories but I had come VERY far from when I was 16 with my first car (1964 chevy chevelle).

I am new to the forum system, but from what I see, I cannot edit the pool. If I find a way I will change it! Thanks for the feedback! Very Happy
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to mom concerns, tout the virtues of the overhead vent. If you sleep in a regular car, your warm breath accumulates in a pool above you and you wind up breathing it back in. With the overhead vent cracked open, it flows out to the atmosphere.

I lived in my '66 for three years and never once woke up with a headache.
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
As to mom concerns, tout the virtues of the overhead vent. If you sleep in a regular car, your warm breath accumulates in a pool above you and you wind up breathing it back in. With the overhead vent cracked open, it flows out to the atmosphere.

I lived in my '66 for three years and never once woke up with a headache.

I am going to be a college student living in a dorm, but wouldn't be surprised if I passed out from exhaustion in it! My mom's concerns are parts and longevity of the car's life.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

I don't see the craftsmanship in the bays as much as the split windows. I understand there is much to do to keep the car up and running but I have time for some TLC. I've always loved the Samba, and the ability to lug my surfboard and road trip with a crew sounds better than getting a Bug.

You are taking a HUGE first bite, my friend. Unless you have deep pockets, a vast network of knowledgable friends (besides this site), more than basic mechanical skills and more than just rudimentary tool selection at hand you are on a road to frustration and heartache. The advice to start on a Bug is sound. It will teach you all the basics that you need to roll an Air-cooled VW (ACVW) at a much better entry-level situation. You can buy a Bug in much, much better condition for less money than a bus in comparable shape.

Sure, all the skills and tools you need can be acquired. But, at your age you will need help and money, even for a Bug. I am not trying to discourage you. But you need to take a good, hard look at what you have going in and what you will need to realize your dream. Good Luck! And make a habit of listening to your Mom. She isn't trying to "harsh your buzz". She's being your biggest supporter and trying not be an enabler. When you have kids of your own you will know what I mean.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BlueJayScout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a beetle for my first vehicle at sixteen and a bus at eighteen, I'm twenty three now and after four years the bus is just barely ready for the road.

I agree with RPGreg2600, start with a bug, the prices are generally lower and you will have time to learn the basics of repair and maintenance before diving into the expensive world of buses.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a squareback you can put the board on the roof and it will sleep two
it also has the same basic mechanics you will need to learn for when you can afford a split

have you ever driven a split bus? been to a show? know anyone with one?
IMO you should be able to say yes to all of these before buying something that is a huge investment like a splittie

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dream is entirely possible, my 15 year old son is living it right now with a 67, 11 window Bus as his first car. He saved for two years and we found this one on Craigslist locally for $2,500 (yes, twenty-five-hundred) and drove it home the next day. He'd searched for almost two years, and I searched along with him, snagging this one before he saw it so we could surprise him: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569569&highlight=suprise+surprise+sunday

Patience does pay off, but you have to be ready to go at a moments notice when the right deal comes along and that means having cash on hand. Think about hunting off-line by running cheap wanted ads in your local "Thrifty Nickel" or shopper paper and let everyone you meet know you're looking for old VW's. You won't find a screaming deal on eBay and usually Craigslist is a crapshoot, but occasionally deals pop up there.

Good luck, be realistic and most of all, safe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get it safe and functional, there is no reason you can't drive it for as long as I have had mine. The kingpin front suspension will outlast the body if you keep it greased and the swing axle rear drivetrain is immune to sand. '63 and up has brakes rated for a one ton load.

I have had no problem finding all the parts that wear out with normal use, such as tie rod ends, steering drag link, and brake shoes. Get four new brake drums as soon as you can and they will last many years. New lug bolts for new threads in those drums are a no-brainer.

My '66 is my only car and I've depended on it since 1992.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
busmania wrote:

I am new to the forum system, but from what I see, I cannot edit the pool. If I find a way I will change it! Thanks for the feedback! Very Happy

I split it for you.

I added 19-21 to the end because I think if I renamed them so it would be in numerical order it would change the existing votes to be for the wrong age
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
ChrisFred wrote:
busmania wrote:

I split it for you.

I added 19-21 to the end because I think if I renamed them so it would be in numerical order it would change the existing votes to be for the wrong age

Thank you very much! Can't wait to see the pool's feedback!
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacmanfever wrote:
That dream is entirely possible, my 15 year old son is living it right now with a 67, 11 window Bus as his first car. He saved for two years and we found this one on Craigslist locally for $2,500 (yes, twenty-five-hundred) and drove it home the next day. He'd searched for almost two years, and I searched along with him, snagging this one before he saw it so we could surprise him: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569569&highlight=suprise+surprise+sunday

Patience does pay off, but you have to be ready to go at a moments notice when the right deal comes along and that means having cash on hand. Think about hunting off-line by running cheap wanted ads in your local "Thrifty Nickel" or shopper paper and let everyone you meet know you're looking for old VW's. You won't find a screaming deal on eBay and usually Craigslist is a crapshoot, but occasionally deals pop up there.

Good luck, be realistic and most of all, safe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How long has he had it? Have there been any problems with parts and assembly? And WOW! What a steal!!!
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
it also has the same basic mechanics you will need to learn for when you can afford a split

IMO you should be able to say yes to all of these before buying something that is a huge investment like a splittie

What do the square backs go for? I'm intrigued!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

What do the square backs go for? I'm intrigued!

Here in San Diego you can find nice ones for under $5,000 all day long, $2500 for a runner is not uncommon. They really are cool cars, but I would avoid the later ones with fuel injection unless someone already converted them to dual or single carb.
You can find a split for your price, but it likely would be a panel or single cab and not too nice of shape. People do get lucky though and get good deals on 11 window buses all the time for that amount, they even crop up here once in a blue moon but get snapped up quick. If I were you I would not settle: look hard, look often, and you will find one for your price. Its not like you are looking for a Porsche 356 for that amount.
Best of luck!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I sold a 67 riviera camper. I did not realize it while arrangements were being made, but the buyer was 17 and it was his first car. At first I thought this was a bad idea, but then it turned out his older brother had a split. So he had resources with skills and experience to help him.
He knew what a split bus was. The bus was one I had had for a while, and considered to be daily driverable as is. He flew in to get it and drive 800 miles home. On the way home he drove through the redwood of n California and spent some extra time
there unfortunate not calling home so mom was about to call the police cause he was late getting home and super worried.

Call your mom if you go on a road trip so she doesn't freak.

When I got my first bus it was a bay and I had a lot of learning to do. When I got my first split it was 30 years old, cheap, a limper driver and I had to learn more as stuff just kept going wrong with it . There was a lot of delayed maintenance.
Luckily I had developed a support group of people who I could get info from, there was a local VW shop with helpful people, and I learned how to fix my bus.
This was before the inter webs, and info was a LOT harder to find, but parts buses were easy to find.

People told me not to get a split bus, as they are old and unsafe.

Today, I still say you need a local support network, or the ability to learn how to fix a vintage vehicle.

Have you even driven an air cooled VW?

These aren't for everyone. They are old, slow, and rattley and no ac and no power windows, 30s technology.
Don't get a split bus. They are old and unsafe.
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
A few years ago I sold a 67 riviera camper. I did not realize it while arrangements were being made, but the buyer was 17 and it was his first car. At first I thought this was a bad idea, but then it turned out his older brother had a split. So he had resources with skills and experience to help him.
He knew what a split bus was. The bus was one I had had for a while, and considered to be daily driverable as is. He flew in to get it and drive 800 miles home. On the way home he drove through the redwood of n California and spent some extra time
there unfortunate not calling home so mom was about to call the police cause he was late getting home and super worried.

Call your mom if you go on a road trip so she doesn't freak.

When I got my first bus it was a bay and I had a lot of learning to do. When I got my first split it was 30 years old, cheap, a limper driver and I had to learn more as stuff just kept going wrong with it . There was a lot of delayed maintenance.
Luckily I had developed a support group of people who I could get info from, there was a local VW shop with helpful people, and I learned how to fix my bus.
This was before the inter webs, and info was a LOT harder to find, but parts buses were easy to find.

People told me not to get a split bus, as they are old and unsafe.

Today, I still say you need a local support network, or the ability to learn how to fix a vintage vehicle.

Have you even driven an air cooled VW?

These aren't for everyone. They are old, slow, and rattley and no ac and no power windows, 30s technology.
Don't get a split bus. They are old and unsafe.

Thanks for the info! If I did road trip I would probably bring my dad with me! I've been reading up on these vehicles and they say it is almost a necessity to purchase a book on keeping your vw alive. I have connections with people who work on cars and highly doubt it will be much of a problem when I go to college. I've never driven an air cooled vw and understand that the technology is rather prehistoric. I can manage not having the technology for a classic piece of history and endless joy rides!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:

I've never driven an air cooled vw !

Fix that. Seriously. Have you even been driven in one? Does a friend or uncle or friends uncle have an old bug or bus?
Was at a gas station last month and the guy working there said "I've only seen those on TV"
If that is you, do not buy one. It is not like on TV.

find a VW show near you this summer and see some in person. Maybe you can get someone to show you their bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: