Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pittsburgh Junkyard Vanagons
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeahsharvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Pittsburgh Junkyard Vanagons Reply with quote

Hey I just moved to Pittsburgh and can't find any place for U-Pull it Yard or any place that sells/gathers used parts for Vanagons. Any one know of any place around that might be useful to check out, I hate paying for shipping and would rather drive my Van to the yard. Its good to get her moving every now and then haha.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are none in bone yards in the immediate pittsburgh area.
Trust me, I search high and low, regularly. : /

There is however, Bob's VW in Strattenville, about 2 hours away. TONS of vanagons there!

There are several pittsburgh vanagon owners though that can be helpful with parts and service. There is a very active facebook page "Pittsburgh Vanagon Club" as well as a yahoo email list "PVC-VW".

There will be some members at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix next weekend as well.
I used to host a gathering for the Pittsburgh Vanagon Club every year at my house (for about 6 years), but i'm no longer providing that service. There will hopefully be another fall camp-out this year though.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yeahsharvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for saving me the trouble of meandering aimlessly through junkyards! I'll check out the FB page.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeahsharvin wrote:
...meandering aimlessly through junkyards!

Dude, that is one of the simple joys of life.
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding! I like wandering the junkyard, sometimes you even see other campers or something of interest.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's anything down in the Wheeling, W.VA area. There used to be a couple of yards around Washington, PA that had a nice selection of VWs, but that was a long time ago. Wink

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millerstown Pic-A-Part is the only u pull yard close by (that I know of...). It is north of Pittsburgh off of Rt 28. They currently do not have any vanagons. They did have one Vanagon westy and a Eurovan weekender, but they have been crushed. They have a large selection of a lot of everything else if you are doing anything custom. $1.00 lets you in to roam and forage. (40.666518, -79.798241)

I am not sure why but when I wonder about in the junkyard, I feel like I am in heaven, lol. My wife on the other hand only sees what may have happened to get the cars in ther in the first place.

There is supposed to be another yard over toward the Connellsville area that re opened last year, that is u pull. I have never been there but maybe someone else has?

Bob's in Strattanville is cool because it is mostly VW stuff. He will let you wonder around and pull what you want. But he knows what all that VW stuff is worth. Nice guy though. (41.190293, -79.280773).

Hit up the Vintage Grand Prix next weekend, park in the VW section on German Hill. I plan on going, I'll be multishade Blue / White 1968 Westfalia Bus.

Good luck, share what you find!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this battle here. I wandered through all the junkyards in Columbus and they just laughed! Even the foreign specialty bone yards hadn't seen one in years. My home town yards know to call me any time something vw bus/ van related rolls in so I didn't even bother with the local search.. After striking out everywhere I tracked down some local van folks and asked them all what they had.

I got what I needed and I'm rolling again!

Moral of the story, build a local vanagon ring. We're all hoarders of one sort or another and might be able to help one another out in a pinch.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your really out of luck here in Pgh. Even back in the mid 80's vanagons
were not well excepted here, for numerous reasons. Anyone who saw
a vanagon pull into their shop would cringe! I bought a 1980 air cooled
in 1985 and learned a lot about vanagons and what was happening to Pgh.
back then. Parts, even back then, were scarce. The internet wasn't invented
yet, so if you had a vanagon you were a fish out of water here in PGh.

Bob' VW (1 1/2 hour drive north of Pgh.) has about 18 vanagons, last I was there. They are very well picked over, mostly 1.9 and air cooled. Body
parts are all trash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: