Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone with a diesel running water injection?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Anyone with a diesel running water injection? Reply with quote

I have a 1.9 AAZ with a Holset 200 turbo, water to air intercooler and a "tuned" IP (Giles). The turbo is set to dump at 22 psi but I rarely hit more than 16. Cruse pressure (65-70 mph) runs between 5-7 psi

On a 3-6% grade my EGT's can hit 1300 F fairly easily requiring me to back off on the go pedal. I have all the bits to install water/meth injection (or just water) but I am very hesitant to add all the complexity.

Just curious if anyone here is running water injection and if so, any feedback or details would be much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal evidence from the MB diesel crowd, seems to show that H2O injection can reduce IATs, but doesn't have as much effect on reducing EGTs. That might just be due to a failure to properly dial in the nozzle sizes, or setting the trigger timing too late; i.e., too long after EGTs have reached critical numbers. I have a setup I plan to install, along with a "panic button", and will use it only when I'm running for extended periods under load. For your setup, you might want to instead look at increasing the size of your IC core, radiator or both.

Additional anecdotes to support my theory. My friend and I had undertaken very similar modifications to our otherwise identical 3.0L six cylinder turbodiesels (turned up pumps). He ran just the water injection, while I installed a FMIC. He routinely saw 1400F EGTs, while I never got above 1250F, even when I took it a step further and installed a propane injection system. I think if water injection is going to match or augment an IC, it needs to have multiple large nozzles with a progressive flow rate.

I bought the system my friend had installed, so we'll see how it handles an engine only 2/3 the size.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ietalon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gizmoman,
Glad to hear of someone else close by with a diesel. Was yours originally a 1.6 that you have upgraded? I have the 1.6 and I am always interested to see what other diesel guys have done. Tim

1988 Multivan Weekender
1.6TD.5sp

"Dance with me. What good is a revolution without dancing?" Do you know theSamba?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes the original engine was the 1.6 NA (PO)

When I purchased the van three years ago, it had the 1,9 TD with a K-14 turbo and no EGT sensor. It also has the air cooled 4 speed (DX) transmission.
It did fairly well but I melted #4 piston somewhat going up the 15 out of Riverside.

Two years of labor and a lot of mods (EGT sensor was #1), I have it running quite well.

I agree with Zeitgeist 13's opinion on the IC. I believe my cooling radiator is too small. It's not located as well as possible either. I have it mounted between the frame rails on the passenger side with the fan blowing through it (always on).
Here it is (forward in the photo - the rear cooler is for oil)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Putting it here rather than in front was not because I was short on hose - I was hoping it would serve it's purpose without dumping hot air into my radiator.

Any thoughts appreciated

Here is a shot of the WAIC in the LH pillar and the short pipe runs.

The cooler before I build the shroud and mounted it.

Looking at it in this photo - sure does look small Shocked
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're going to need to re-mount the rad in a place that gets much more direct airflow. This is good info, as I had been contemplating running a similar frame-mount setup like yours.

I also think you need more surface area for the rad.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think you're going to need to re-mount the rad in a place that gets much more direct airflow. This is good info, as I had been contemplating running a similar frame-mount setup like yours.

I also think you need more surface area for the rad.

Agreed, and glad my mistake (if it is one) won't be repeated.
I'm wondering what cooler would fit in front of the rad and not block off too much direct flow to the engine radiator.

This one would probably do
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=...d77d69ad5e
There's another one that's 3" thick but I doubt I could squeeze it in.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel much better about not doing the water injection. I think it would be a band-aid on the issue I was having which I believe was heat soak.

The more I messed around testing a water injection set-up, the more I felt uneasy. One of the two injector nozzles got plugged drawing from a just opened bottle of distilled water. Even after installing it in reverse and "back-flushing", it was never the same - it dripped and the spray was not right. FWIW, My pump produces 200 PSI.

I imagined it "dripping" into my intake for a few hundred miles and said, nope.

I just ordered the radiator in the above post and should have it in next weekend.
It could still fit between the rails but if I can find room up front, that's where I will mount it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: