Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice re: 62' 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a summer of work, and with my goal of showing her off a bit, I entered her in the Rocky Mountain Auto Show. Even though the folks attending the show were there mostly to see the muscle cars and all the chrome, the 23 window deluxe did get a lot of attention. I drive her every other day or so, just to keep things running smooth while the weather here in Colorado permits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Nice to see VW's mingling with the american muscle.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

The bus is the best looking ride in there as far as I can tell from the photos. By far. Even better than that blue ride...
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! The funny thing is that when I got to the show, they didn't have a spot for me because of some misunderstanding. So I had to sit there cleaning and waiting. Here I was wedged between a bunch of Ferrari's! I thought for sure that people would look down on the bus compared to all of these hot rods and super cars, but I was unbelievably surprised. A huge contingent of people kept coming up to me telling me that while the other cars in the show were shiny and chromed-out, they were more impressed with the bus. They kept saying it was a "...true time capsule." I couldn't have been more proud. Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tmiller3 wrote:
A huge contingent of people kept coming up to me telling me that while the other cars in the show were shiny and chromed-out, they were more impressed with the bus. They kept saying it was a "...true time capsule." I couldn't have been more proud. Smile

At the beginning of this thread you were somewhat contemplating joining that shiny crowd, any regrets now?, congratulations! Very Happy
It's not just hard core bus nerds that are able to appreciate what you have there Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tmiller3 wrote:
A huge contingent of people kept coming up to me telling me that while the other cars in the show were shiny and chromed-out, they were more impressed with the bus. They kept saying it was a "...true time capsule." I couldn't have been more proud. Smile

At the beginning of this thread you were somewhat contemplating joining that shiny crowd, any regrets now?, congratulations! Very Happy
It's not just hard core bus nerds that are able to appreciate what you have there Wink

How funny it is that you should mention that. That has been a main topic of conversation between my wife and I over the last 48 hours or so. I look back on those questionable decisions early on, and I am sooooo happy to have made the decision(s) that I did- tough love from members of The Samba. Like many people who've talked to me over the course of this adventure, "you'll come to realize the treasure that you have." Boy, have I ever. I never really appreciated the love people have for their cars until I found out for myself first-hand.
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Some "new" stuff Reply with quote

My father-in-law was cleaning some storage in his house these past couple of days, and came across some interesting items. I've mentioned that he is a 'child of the Depression' and never throws anything away- and here's some items which document his tendencies.

This first is the actual "Hints" booklet that came with the bus when he first bought it back in 1962. It's in as good of condition today as when he got it way back then. Love the pictures. The other pictures are in my gallery.

Additionally, he saved the maintenance log with the records he kept from when it was new until about 65,000 miles or so.

And finally, he found some maps from Colorado in the early 60's (imagine- using actual maps when driving instead of GPS Very Happy )

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!, make sure you let him know that his hoarding wasn't in vain and that others appreciate his effort saving stuff like that. It makes your bus even more fantastic!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff!

The Bus "Just a Few Tips" is quite uncommon, I have only seen a few of them over the years as compared to the blue Beetle versions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is.....

Wow, wow and wow!!!!!!

Green with envy, dude..... Green with envy! Cool Cool Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sick bad stuff fersure. Those old maps are a hoot. It's fun to look at the ones before the interstates, when you actually came to main street USA before exiting on. Your map would be before the Big Tunnel.
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite image is from the AFA Stadium on the old map. Talk about times-a-changing. Not to mention the skiers. I can't remember the last time I consulted a map. And not just 'cuz I'm a man and I refuse to ask for directions. Very Happy
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Nice Bus and some wise hoarding there over the years.

That "just a few tips" brochure is super kool, like Everett says, not a common item at all...only ever seen this one out there dated 8/61
I have one here dated 7/60 and slightly different.....does anyone else out there have a brochure like these maybe from a different year.??

Love to know how early these came out.

Last edited by Wolfsburg Classics on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story just keeps getting better and better
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good seeing the bus yesterday at the VWs on the Green. I expect to be parked next to you in 2016.

Follow my progress here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511291

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-
Great to finally meet you. Can't wait to see your bus up-and-running. I had been following your strand for a while, and now I was able to put a face to the info. You're doing such a great job with the metalwork. Great show yesterday. I've never seen that many busses in one place at one time. How cool.
Tmiller3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Advice re: 62' 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Now that the weather is snowy and cold, I thought I'd take some time to to take a look at some other features of the bus and see if there's anything I can do while the snow melts. The clock isn't working, so I thought I'd take it out and see what I can see. I've checked the post(s) here about repairing a clock, but I thought I'd post some pics of it to ask a couple of questions. Some folks were referring to a 'tamper-cap' that covers one of the screws. In the photo below, it that what this is?

Additionally, I've read an ongoing debate re: the use of WD-40 vs. 3-n-1 oil to lube up the gears. Before I do anything to this clock, I would like some input as to what would be the best course of action. Quite frankly, I'd like to see it working, but I'd rather it be in the bus in its original condition than to put any replacement pieces to it.

Jose Ramon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice re: 62' 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

the beautiful story of your bus.
you must be a happy man!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice re: 62' 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

Nice clock, is it dated 1962?

Your clock has the adjustment knob on the back/side.

I thought 1962 was the first year that clocks had the adjustment knob on the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advice re: 62' 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

I saw you driving a few weeks ago. I yelled out my window that I had a single cab. My wife said "he doesn't care!" Anyway, sweet bus, it was cool to see it on the road and drool for a minute.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: