Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Here's a short video of our December trip to the Florida Keys and Everglades in our 91 Westy. Lots of Vanagon content.

Go to 2:29 to see the new spray port in action--when no local showers are to be had, the spray port is a nice alternative.

Link

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Very nice. We have our annual trip to Key West this Spring and will also stay at Boyds campground. Many familiar places... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

"Florida is big."

Actually, more long than big. Driving from Richmond to Miami, we cross four states and hit the FL state line about halfway through the trip, making for a loooong second half of the drive.

Neat vid.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Long is right. It took us two days to get from Austin to Sarasota... and the Florida interstates are fast roads!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Did the IA to FL trip last year, 30 hours each way. Teenage (adult sized now) kids LOVED it, wanted to go this year again. Seeing your footage really brought my angst of this year's financial blockade front and center. My Westy was ready, my wallet wasn't Sad

I still need to get the rear headrests and 3 pt belts in. I like what you did on the rear seat! I've been through a bunch of the headrest posts, can't remember if you put your experience in one of those or not.

Cheers!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Heading down to Orlando on Thursday, Kourt. Wish me luck, first long drive since the re-build. 20 hours, plus or minus.....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Were heading down tomorrow from Washington via California then east, take a month to get to Key West. Won't be there until early February, on the 10 week plan.

Dan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

1) Three minutes of pure delight. Thanks!
2) My favorite scenes are the cooking and dining in the van. Those are some of my favorites when camping.
3) Looks like yous guys know how to have fun!
4) Cheers.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Fun video - looks like a great trip! Cool Just long enough for my taste (time AND miles), great
sites AND sights, fun history, time on/in the water & CATS!!! In the epic words of Liz Lemon;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for posting! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Yeah, I loved it, too! Very well done, love the tuneage and the entire presentation!

We just did south Virginia all around Florida to central Texas and now in Arizona. The entire coast was done only on the slow roads alongside it.

Again, Great video, Thanks Again!

— Colin Chapman
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

If anyone is passing through or near Daytona and needs anything, let me know!
Great video btw!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
If anyone is passing through or near Daytona and needs anything, let me know!
Great video btw!

And he means it! Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Cool trip. I was with the Navy there at NAS Boca Chica. Next time you go, you should paddle out to Monkey Island. It's east of Cudjoe Key (I think). Stay in the water on your boat, though. It's a US Government property & you dont want to tangle with a monkey. Last time I was there, the monkeys were throwing sticks at me.

Also, did you happen to see the front paws on those Hemingway Cats?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Oh yes, polydactyls. When you're on a two week road trip and you left your cats behind in Austin, having a house full of 40+ cats to visit in Key West was a nice touch.

kourt
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Great video, looks like a really nice trip.
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Awesome vid and dig the soundtrack!

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Please give me info on the little shower head attachment. Does it just attach to the hose bib that comes on the van (what gives it any pressure, then?), or is there a little pump involved somehow, inside one of the cabinets?
Great snippets of your trip, a junket which others should consider (Disclosure: in the '60s I lived in Miami and Melbourne- think Cape Canaveral- in my high school years.) For those passing down the west coast of FL, don't miss one of the best small museums anywhere-- the world's largest Salvador Dali collection, in St. Petersburg (twin city of Tampa). They have well over 100 of Dali's originals, from tiny ones no bigger than the mirror on our vans to big ones you could hide a van behind. If somehow you don't know his work (everyone in my generation knew him for his extreme eccentricities and some of his best known paintings), just google him and click on images. You'll realize you do know a little of his work, probably more than just that floppy clock. And then there's the world's largest collection of Frank LLoyd Wright buildings, at the campus of Florida Southern Univ. in Lakeland. AND the world's largest collection of Tiffany glass, in Winter Park- on the east side of Orlando. Florida's a great destination (yeah, the Everglades, too!) any time of the year, and certainly one of the best when winter where you live is trying to make you forget you own a Westy.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I am traveling through west Texas this week in the van, but when I get a chance I'll update you all with more information about the spray port and how i built it. Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the compliments on my video.

kourt
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy all,

I am traveling through west Texas this week in the van, but when I get a chance I'll update you all with more information about the spray port and how i built it. Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the compliments on my video.

kourt

Very Happy Very Happy I am in the designing and early building stage of my hot water shower/spray system. You made the idea that is in my head! Idea Idea

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Reply with quote

4 stars. Thanks
I am thinking about doing that trip this Feb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: