Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African Grille Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Maybe if people don't know any better. But if you know where to look, $299 buys you a pair of rectangle E-code headlights that accept any H4 LED bulbs.

Engineered LED light assemblies are much better than drop in LED bulbs, they are easy to locate in 7" round. Dropping LED bulbs into housing not designed for them is good for throwing light everywhere and being a hazard to other drivers.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Quote:
Engineered LED light assemblies are much better than drop in LED bulbs, they are easy to locate in 7" round. Dropping LED bulbs into housing not designed for them is good for throwing light everywhere and being a hazard to other drivers.

All-in-one 7" assemblies with their built-in non-replaceble bulbs exist because the LED bulbs themselves cannot provide proper dispersion/control and must be compensated for by using proprietary nonstandard lenses. Once the LED burns out the whole assembly is trash - just like an old sealed-beam headlight but sometimes 10x the price. Hopefully you can find an identical match or you're buying a whole new pair. (And as for their claims of longevity, I've already had to replace "10 year" LED or CFL bulbs in my house after 2-3 years, how about you?) By comparison, E-code H4 lenses have excellent beam control, and replacement bulbs are cheap. If/when LED bulbs get better and cheaper it's a 2 minute swap, but meanwhile you have excellent vision - and if a bulb burns out you only have to replace one $10 bulb.

I spent all last week talking to LED headlight vendors at SEMA (the largest auto parts trade show in the country) looking to be convinced that the situation had changed. I must have spoken to 20 vendors. Believe me, for profit motives I would love to have been able to say that LED was now better/cheaper and I had the answers. But at the end of the day it's just not ready for prime time yet. Eventually it will be. Hopefully by next SEMA. Meanwhile it's like buying an early generation flat-screen TV - the good ones are $$$$$ for what you get, and the cheap ones are pretty crappy. Even big players like GE are just now getting into it, introducing their first 7" round LED's after rebranding other people's products until now. I've been around long enough to know better than to buy anyone's first attempt at anything. Sorry, I'll let someone else's customers be the guinea pig. I'd rather wait a year for 2nd gen when they're half the price and better. Especially since in the meantime tried-and-true technology is better and a whole lot cheaper. This is a case where being first-in-line just doesn't make sense. The time will come, but it's not now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Your sales pitch was based on someone asking about LED lights not halogens.
You know that drop in LEDs are not correct for the product you are pushing and they will throw a poor beam unlike a engineered unit as you confirmed.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

My "pitch" was that LED's of ANY sort are not the best choice yet, for the reasons I outlined (and referenced in the Consumer Reports article). Therefore I continue to recommend halogens until the LED technology improves. I am sure that in time better LED's will become available - including, very likely, drop-in LED H4's that mimic the beam pattern of halogens and can be inexpensively replaced when they burn out. I spoke to a few vendors at SEMA who said they are working on just that. But for now, the only decent LED's are expensive proprietary 7" round sealed beams with non-replaceable bulbs, and the cheap knockoffs aren't very good. Even big players like GE are only now starting to roll out first-gen product of their own, so the technology is nowhere near mature. That's where we stand right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

As an update to this, I have heard unconfirmed rumors that an aftermarket grill will be available before the end of the year. So if you have your heart set on one, it may pay to bide your time rather than paying the inflated prices that used ones are going for at the moment. (Or maybe not; time will tell.) Now you know everything I do.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

That’s great news. Thanks for the info! I get worried I’m going to snap my grille every time I take it off...
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Now you know everything I do.

Damn, I feel really smart now. Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
stonesoupvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Amazing news thanks Ron! Fingers crossed!
bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Installing a SA grille and lights in my '87 and the left, used 7" bucket came missing a "standard 7" retaining ring". I'm having a hard time finding one from the usual vendors of choice. Anyone know where I can find this?

I believe it would be the OEM part from an '80 - '84 headlight. Left or Right, are they the same as each other?
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
As an update to this, I have heard unconfirmed rumors that an aftermarket grill will be available before the end of the year. So if you have your heart set on one, it may pay to bide your time rather than paying the inflated prices that used ones are going for at the moment. (Or maybe not; time will tell.) Now you know everything I do.

I'll stop holding my breath now.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

The grills are now up to $800, if you can find one. And this does not include lights or brackets. Is it possible to print these?
I’d love to have one, not for $800 though.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Print, carve, sculpt out of bubble gum, whatev'

My Bro often used wood, and a set of carving knives for NLA plastic stuff.. Some of his Ghias were well done with wood.
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

As an alternative to the SA grill to replace the rectangle headlights, what about using an 80-85 headlight grill and graft in lights like Colorado Yeti:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have others done this?
notchboy wrote:

You were drinking last night, weren't you Shame on you
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

I think that looks way better than the SA grill. Do you have a link to where he built it?

Edit: I checked his thread creation history, if he has it documented it's not in it's own thread.

Last edited by 4Gears4Tires on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

I haven’t seen a build post on this grill, but Colorado Yeti is still active, so he may chime in if you request it. Keith has other pics on Samba showing his grill project.
notchboy wrote:

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I think that looks way better than the SA grill..

same here. i think the SA grill looks like a chinese company trying to make a copy of a vanagon, but they call theirs a vanaching. i always thought the SA grill looked horrible

the one in the photo looks far more German than the SA does and is very well executed imho. looks more period correct for the van

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Bradgt74 wrote:
...Have others done this?

Some examples here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430&highlight=south+african+headlight
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

same here. i think the SA grill looks like a chinese company trying to make a copy of a vanagon, but they call theirs a vanaching. i always thought the SA grill looked horrible
the one in the photo looks far more German than the SA does and is very well executed imho. looks more period correct for the van

You may not like the look of the SA grill, but it was made by VW for the Vanagon. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I completely agree that the things are kinda flimsy. VW coulda used a more robust plastic. However, if you're careful and know how to remove they do last.
I installed that grill in 2012 and about 50k ago.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Bradgt74 wrote:
...Have others done this?

Some examples here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430&highlight=south+african+headlight

Thanks Ahwahnee, just what I was looking for!
notchboy wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Grille Kit Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

I like the SA grill, but just not enough to ever pull the trigger on it since it's so expensive. But I definitely agree, the CY grill looks far more German and period correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: