Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used this method today, what a job! Not TOOOOOO bad, but yeah, the part that will give the most trouble is that you need to use a washer that is bigger that the circumference of the pin on top of the arm as a spacer because the pin protrudes above the clamp, I suspect that the original pin does too, which is why we are all stripping the threads on removal. I used the original wavy washer under another washer and then used the clamp to pull it all together.
Steering is much tighter now, but I also replaced the drag link so who knows, at least it's done and I'll never have to worry about it again.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash, awesome write up...

Q: when you press the bushing back in, do you put grease on the bushings to help ease them in, or install dry? or something else?

I put a few more photos in my build thread for the removal as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:

Tcash, awesome write up...
Thank you

Q: when you press the bushing back in, do you put grease on the bushings to help ease them in, or install dry? or something else?
I ran them in dry. IIRC the interference was not that tight.

I put a few more photos in my build thread for the removal as well.
Thanks for doing that.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I'd like to add a couple things to this thread that might make this job easier for some guys. First of all this is my second time doing this repair and it was much easier the second time because I made some changes to how I did it.

The first time I used a long piece of all thread and sockets to pull out the old bushings. Here's a pic from a few years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This time I used my air hammer and a long 1/2" drive extension. Once the pin was removed I went up from the bottom with the extension and drove the upper bushing up and out. Then I used my air hammer and a deep 13/16 socket which was the right diameter to drive the lower bushing up and out.

I cleaned up the bore and drove the new bushing into place by using the old pin, the deep socket, and the air hammer. The new bushing went in nicely and a lot faster.

I assembled all the seals, cups, and thrust washers and got to the point where this thread tells you to use a large C clamp to compress the wavey washer under the pin head. I tried doing that but the clamp kept slipping so I pulled out my bottle jack and used that to push up on the pin. It worked great.

The job went a lot faster and now my new pin is in and there is no wobble any more. Total time was roughly 3 hours.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I went up from the bottom with the extension and drove the upper bushing up and out.
How did you get past the Bottom bushing? Or did you hammer against the bore and bottom of the Top bushing?

Thank you
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I went up from the bottom with the extension and drove the upper bushing up and out.
How did you get past the Bottom bushing? Or did you hammer against the bore and bottom of the Top bushing?

Thank you
Tcash

That's where the long 1/2" drive extension came into play. I slipped the female end up into the bore past the lower bushing and drove the upper bushing out. Once it was out I drove the lower bushing up and out also but this time using the socket.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

As long as the zerk fitting is removed, one can drive one into the other and both out.

WORD OF CAUTION. Back in 2008 when I did the 1977 bay, I discovered that a great way to put the lower bushing in is to tap the upper one in just a tad, slide the lower bushing onto the old pin and use the pin to drive the lower one in flush. It makes sure the bushing does not mushroom, and the bushing in the top keeps the pin and bushing straight. I wasn't sure if the pin could be used in the top to do the same thing but it dropped in nicely. Mistake! Once the upper bushing is driven in a little bit the pin no longer will clear the upper beam coming out, and you can't drive the bushings out from the top or bottom at that point because the pin is in the way. Thought well, I will hack saw the top off the pin and let it drop out, then lift the rest of the pin out. Wrong again. Made of exceptionally hard steel. I am sure they are ground to ID not lathed. Carbide hack saw blades bounced off the pin like bullets bounce off Superman. In the end it took me most of the day with dremel diamond cutoff wheels slowly cutting thru the old pin. And making matters worse, I had replaced pins before on my 1971 bay however I thought I had found a short cut. I have the factory tool now but have not used it. Usually a piece of threaded rod and some sockets are what I use to pull them out and put the new ones in. If someone wanted to pull one bushing at a time, they would need a hardened tool that is narrower that the ID of the bushing, that can be tilted on a slot to insert in then tilt it flat, drop a bolt thru the slot, and pull with a nut. Just keep the threaded rod lubed because most all thread is made from soft steels.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

A good air hammer works wonders. I'll be doing Tom Powell's bus in February to confirm the method.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

My concern is that I would put hammer marks in the tube getting the top bushing out. I wonder if the air hammer has enough power to drive the bottom and top bush out together?
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
My concern is that I would put hammer marks in the tube getting the top bushing out. I wonder if the air hammer has enough power to drive the bottom and top bush out together?
Tcash

Mine would but I did them separately. Even if it did cause some hammer marks, and I don't think it did, no big deal
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I followed Colin's tutorial on his site. I used a socket on an extension and a BFH and drove both bushings out together through the top. It wasn't hard and didn't take much time to knock them out. I personally think this is the way to go vs. using the threaded rod.

Reinstalling the new bushings is a breeze as you're only hammering in one bushing at a time.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Okay, well I'm sure most of you have used impact guns so you know how well they work compared to using a regular ratchet for certain jobs. An air hammer is kinda the same way. A couple raps and things move.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I tried the BFH and socket and I could not get the bottom bushing to budge.
Switched over to the threaded rod and both came right out.

I liked using the threaded rod to install the top bushing, because it allowed me to put the Top Thrust washer around the bushing and pull the bushing home. With the thrust washer in place, it installs the bushing at the correct height above the mounting tube.

I like the air hammer idea. It would be nice to turn down a pin to use as the drift.

Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

As I was driving in the new top bushing from below, I used my finger to check how far I had gone. I reached flush and then kept going about another 1/16 or so for the thrust washer engagement. Then the bottom one went in until it was flush. I didn't file those grease passages like is shown here.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
As I was driving in the new top bushing from below, I used my finger to check how far I had gone. I reached flush and then kept going about another 1/16 or so for the thrust washer engagement. Then the bottom one went in until it was flush. I didn't file those grease passages like is shown here.

That's how I did it was well Gary. I also didn't file any grooves in the bushings. We'll see how things go though my bus won't have more than 2k miles a year on it. If I was putting the mileage Colin or Robbie do each year, I might of considered it.

I like the idea of the air ratchet to push the old ones out. I just don't have a big enough compressor to power mine, thus I went w/the BFH. The bushings and pin in my bus were the originals.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Seems to me that the filed passages would be counter productive. They would allow grease to flow through the passages instead of between the bushings and pin
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Seems to me that the filed passages would be counter productive. They would allow grease to flow through the passages instead of between the bushings and pin

Pascal's law, once the grooves fill, the pressure will increase and force grease between the pin and bushings.

You really should be rotating the center link while you're greasing it. To distribute the grease on the bushings. Other wise you are relying on gravity during service to carry the grease, which will have no effect on the top bushing.

In practice Bushings are rifled to carry oil or grease. It gets the grease to where it is needed and acts like a reserve of grease to be wiped off during use.

Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

All that may be true Tim except for one thing... under the pin head is a metal cap. This cap has a hole in it and is usually what I look for when greasing. Once full, the grease will flow out of the pin hole. I'm afraid cut grooves would channel grease straight to that pin hole and not around the pin OD
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
All that may be true Tim except for one thing... under the pin head is a metal cap. This cap has a hole in it and is usually what I look for when greasing. Once full, the grease will flow out of the pin hole. I'm afraid cut grooves would channel grease straight to that pin hole and not around the pin OD

There is quite a bit of pressure behind that pin hole. So much so that it kept popping the grease cap off on mine and I could not hold it in place. I had to back it up with a jack.
With the sloppy fit of the pin and bushing I don't see a problem getting the bushing to take grease.

It may be better to plug the weep hole and purge the air out the top?

Tcash

When you can't get the piston to pop with air pressure.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I had the same issues. The old bushings were patterned with small stamped wells in the bearing that helped hold and pass grease. The new ones were smooth. The .001 - .002 clearance when sized correctly does not let much grease by the pin. I was concerned that a good portion of the grease was going along the seam only. I ended up putting RTV around the cap and letting it dry to keep it on. This did not happen on my 1971 bay, and during the time it was owned two or three center pins were installed.

Like TCash I was thinking about that method of removing one at a time, and my concerns were the same - that marks would be left inside the tube the bearings sit in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: