Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simmerda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Hi Gang, hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Year! Anybody have this "tool" made up they'd be willing to rent out? Looking to replace the lever on my 78 bus. thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I’m changing the center pin in a 79 bus. I took off the grease cap and this doesn’t look like the large pin head I was expecting. Is it just a weird pin head?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

looks like a factory pin that came with the bus. Don't forget to remove the zerk fitting before you try to remove the bushings
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Not challenging Steve but all the pins I’ve installed had a convex shaped head. I don’t really see why it matters though
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

i have a couple factory pins. They have that appearance. The after market ones are convex. See https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?p...7e42ea9c0b

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I am adding this here because I discovered it researching a different part number. Center pin kit is 211 498 171 A. There is a smaller kit 211 498 180 which has less parts. It doesn't show up in the fiche. It was part of a recall campaign. Apparently some 1977 & 1978 buses had steering center pin flaw.

thru G Books

JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I have the old bushings out. Once I press the new ones in, is that when I grease everything as much as I can before reinstalling or just use the zerk fitting? What grease?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I believe the same grease you use in the torsion tubes Probably Lithium #2 grease. You lightly grease it putting it together and then use the zerk until it comes out. Be sure to follow Bentley and use a clamp when tightening it up otherwise it will have play in it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
As long as the zerk fitting is removed, one can drive one into the other and both out.

WORD OF CAUTION. Back in 2008 when I did the 1977 bay, I discovered that a great way to put the lower bushing in is to tap the upper one in just a tad, slide the lower bushing onto the old pin and use the pin to drive the lower one in flush. It makes sure the bushing does not mushroom, and the bushing in the top keeps the pin and bushing straight. I wasn't sure if the pin could be used in the top to do the same thing but it dropped in nicely. Mistake! Once the upper bushing is driven in a little bit the pin no longer will clear the upper beam coming out, and you can't drive the bushings out from the top or bottom at that point because the pin is in the way. Thought well, I will hack saw the top off the pin and let it drop out, then lift the rest of the pin out. Wrong again. Made of exceptionally hard steel. I am sure they are ground to ID not lathed. Carbide hack saw blades bounced off the pin like bullets bounce off Superman. In the end it took me most of the day with dremel diamond cutoff wheels slowly cutting thru the old pin. And making matters worse, I had replaced pins before on my 1971 bay however I thought I had found a short cut. I have the factory tool now but have not used it. Usually a piece of threaded rod and some sockets are what I use to pull them out and put the new ones in. If someone wanted to pull one bushing at a time, they would need a hardened tool that is narrower that the ID of the bushing, that can be tilted on a slot to insert in then tilt it flat, drop a bolt thru the slot, and pull with a nut. Just keep the threaded rod lubed because most all thread is made from soft steels.

Ha ha, I wish I had read more than the original post when I set about doing this job tonight!

I did the exact same thing with trapping the pin while installing the upper bushing.

I was able to cut the pin with my trusty Ryobi reciprocating saw and three metal blades. Thankfully it only took a few minutes to accomplish.

If one cuts the old pin roughly in half ahead of time, it does make driving the bushings in pretty easy. For the top one, I used the C-clamp and pin half to compress it on in. For the bottom bushing, I used the pin and a hammer to tap it home. I used the corner of one of the saw blades to hold the pin up in there while tapping with the hammer.

Otherwise, the job went smoothly and I appreciated the pics and writeup very much!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
I have the old bushings out. Once I press the new ones in, is that when I grease everything as much as I can before reinstalling or just use the zerk fitting? What grease?

A #2 moly fortified lithium grease will work fine for most chassis lubrication.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
SGKent wrote:
As long as the zerk fitting is removed, one can drive one into the other and both out.

WORD OF CAUTION. Back in 2008 when I did the 1977 bay, I discovered that a great way to put the lower bushing in is to tap the upper one in just a tad, slide the lower bushing onto the old pin and use the pin to drive the lower one in flush. It makes sure the bushing does not mushroom, and the bushing in the top keeps the pin and bushing straight. I wasn't sure if the pin could be used in the top to do the same thing but it dropped in nicely. Mistake! Once the upper bushing is driven in a little bit the pin no longer will clear the upper beam coming out, and you can't drive the bushings out from the top or bottom at that point because the pin is in the way. Thought well, I will hack saw the top off the pin and let it drop out, then lift the rest of the pin out. Wrong again. Made of exceptionally hard steel. I am sure they are ground to ID not lathed. Carbide hack saw blades bounced off the pin like bullets bounce off Superman. In the end it took me most of the day with dremel diamond cutoff wheels slowly cutting thru the old pin. And making matters worse, I had replaced pins before on my 1971 bay however I thought I had found a short cut. I have the factory tool now but have not used it. Usually a piece of threaded rod and some sockets are what I use to pull them out and put the new ones in. If someone wanted to pull one bushing at a time, they would need a hardened tool that is narrower that the ID of the bushing, that can be tilted on a slot to insert in then tilt it flat, drop a bolt thru the slot, and pull with a nut. Just keep the threaded rod lubed because most all thread is made from soft steels.

Ha ha, I wish I had read more than the original post when I set about doing this job tonight!

I did the exact same thing with trapping the pin while installing the upper bushing.

I was able to cut the pin with my trusty Ryobi reciprocating saw and three metal blades. Thankfully it only took a few minutes to accomplish.

If one cuts the old pin roughly in half ahead of time, it does make driving the bushings in pretty easy. For the top one, I used the C-clamp and pin half to compress it on in. For the bottom bushing, I used the pin and a hammer to tap it home. I used the corner of one of the saw blades to hold the pin up in there while tapping with the hammer.

Otherwise, the job went smoothly and I appreciated the pics and writeup very much!

Take your old shaft and cut a 1 1/2" piece of it off which includes the flange. Now grind the flange down until it will just slide inside the centerlink housing. Now drill a 13/32" hole through it from end to end. You now have a tool that combined with a piece of 3/8" threaded rod and a couple of other easily made piece can be used to both remove and install the bushings.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

If the Pin and bush is the same as split bus, I've made up some bushing drivers for other members, have a few left, PM me.
If you choose to cut the pin, you can grind thru the case hardend surface all the way around you can cut them easier that surface is approx .03-.06 thick, it's like a rocker shaft, hard case and softer inside.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Anybody with a nice collection of sockets and an air hammer has all the tools needed to both remove and install the bushings
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
So I filed grease relieves into the sides of the new bushings. Important: when installing bushings they need to be oriented so relieves are side to side, facing the wheels. Not front to back.

I am about to do this project today and have a few questions:

Are the relief grooves necessary? Why aren't there grooves from the manufacturer and in the OEM bushings?

I have read conflicting things about orientation of the relief holes in the bushings. Is it one left and one right? or is it both holes facing the front zerk?

The latter seems to make more sense to me but want other opinions.

Thanks!
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Tcash wrote:
So I filed grease relieves into the sides of the new bushings. Important: when installing bushings they need to be oriented so relieves are side to side, facing the wheels. Not front to back.

I am about to do this project today and have a few questions:

Are the relief grooves necessary? Why aren't there grooves from the manufacturer and in the OEM bushings?

I have read conflicting things about orientation of the relief holes in the bushings. Is it one left and one right? or is it both holes facing the front zerk?

The latter seems to make more sense to me but want other opinions.

Thanks!

The original bushings were stippled so that there were many pockets where the grease could rest. The newer bushings are solid. It is hard for me to visualize how the grease gets thru .002 clearance when lubed so I personally used a small file to cut a channel top to bottom in mine where the grease could ooze thru. It is only a couple thousands wide and deep.

Be sure you pull the zerk fitting before you begin. DO NOT use the old pin to align the top bushing from above.It will fit in perfectly and make sense to do it that way, but if you do once the bushing is in the pin will not come out. You'll spend hours wth a die grinder getting it free. The top bushing is not flush. It sticks up a certain amount when it is properly installed. You will need a clamp large enough to hold the awing arm down and the pin up before you tighten the bolt on the top. Good luck. I'd tell you to bring it by but you could have it done in the time it takes to get here and back. Dave in Australia made the factory tools and sent me a set. Mostly just the bushing tool. You can find a socket normally to drive the old ones out, and a stack of thick washers to pull them in. I used the old pin to put the bottom bushing in just don't use it on the top.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

Thanks SGKENT!

I have everything out and cleaned already. I am ready for reassembly. Holes for new bushings oriented to front zerk or alternating sides?
(sold - but not forgotten)
Humpst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Pin Seals? Reply with quote

guanella74 wrote:
I'm looking for just the seals to redo the center pin, not the full $50-75 kit.

Might anyone know where I can find the pin seal and the outer seal?
Huge thanks,

Wondering if you were able to find just the seals?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

I doubt it unless someone has a set they didn't use out of a kit. Postage these days is probably more than they are worth.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

"pin seal" here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_global/part/211415753

The other "outer seal" is p/n 211-415-749, called "gasket-protection cap" in my VW parts manual,
it's not a simple o-ring like the smaller one.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit, Center Pin, Center Link, Installation Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
"pin seal" here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_global/part/211415753

The other "outer seal" is p/n 211-415-749, called "gasket-protection cap" in my VW parts manual,
it's not a simple o-ring like the smaller one.

Oh Kreemoweet - That is so mean. It is right there in front of him but VW Classic DE won't ship to the USA unless their policy has changed in the last 10 days. e'll have to either find a company that sells for them something that inexpensive, and ships it across the pond for just postage and no handling, or make a deal with someone in Germany to buy it and post it to him. I don't have the parts or I would send them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: