Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 bay window steering box seals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ccrider5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: 1979 bay window steering box seals Reply with quote

looking for the output shaft seal size. I've seen seal sizes for earl 70's buses, but mine is a 79 bay. also......where is the steering box filler plug? pics would help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this pic. German Supply has the input and output shaft seals. Good luck

Ccrider5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to source a seal locally (cheaper). was looking for the seal size like 22x32x7...something i can take down to the local bearing store.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this Thread but it's talking about the Early Bay Window Bus Steering Gear Box, But they may use the same seals, Not sure:
DIY steering box rebuild.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The late steering boxes use different sizes:
The upper is 22x32x7
The lower is 28x38x7

call any bearing supply house near you and look for double lipped seals. NBR is the material or better.

If you can't find them Scott at German Supply sells them too.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17643&cat=&page=1

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371710&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

seal
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: steering box seals Reply with quote

The generic part numbers that your local supply house will have listed are

22 x 32 x 7 is 8510 upper seal
28 x 36 x 7 is 10924 lower seal
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The seals are shown in Kaman Bearings catalog.

The upper is 22x32x7

The lower is 28x38x7. The last ones I bought came as Timken sku number 0 53893 503813

The ball bearings in this one at the top and bottom of the input shaft are like those on an old bicycle crank - mounted in a plastic cage and are 5/16 (.3125) inch. I don't know if the ZF will be the same or not (they were). I checked the ball bearings with a micrometer and they show some signs of elongation so we will put new ones in and see how much play is there. There is a shim but it could be sanded on glass to make it thinner if needed. The races are in excellent condition and there is no play at the upper or lower bushings. The grittiness is just age and dust that has gotten in over the years - hardened grease etc. ...

If one follows the procedure in the book and sets the thru center torque properly, and if the worm gear is not badly worn, it can be made to work like new. You might try your local bearing supply. National and Timiken make them. Make sure they are dual lip, and that the shaft is polished before installing a new seal or it will leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ccrider5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say upper and lower seal....what does that refer to? I only see on seal at the out put shaft in the pic I posted. I did see that thread for 71 bust seal, but I was wondering if a 1971 and a 79 steering bowls output shaft seals are the same. And I might add that iam a newbie vw owner....so iam learning as I go.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upper = input shaft
lower= output shaft

1968/72 and 1973/79 boxes are not identical. They use different parts. I listed the seals for late boxes 73/79. This includes the early 1973 Gemmer boxes made in France and the late 1973 -79 made by ZF under license by Gemmer to ZF in Germany. I have a NOS late bay ZF box Bob Hood found in Lemforder surplus stock that was made in 1982. While I am very happy with it, my 1977 box that I rebuilt worked just as well as it does. Only caveat is when one starts working on steering and brakes, they could be playing with their lives if they mess up so if someone is not a skilled mechanic they might want to reflect on their abilities, and patience to detail before they start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ccrider5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sgkent....I will goto the bearing shop tomorrow with the lower seal dimensions and grab that seal to solve my leaky steering box. Very helpfull to a newbie like me.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a wrap of box tape on the shaft, grease it and slide the seal over that. That way you will not nick the seal putting it on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: