Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

N.B. & N.S. Ferry
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which route should I take?
NB to NS via ferry
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
NB to NS via road
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: N.B. & N.S. Ferry Reply with quote

I'm making this an opinion poll between my two choices. Basically both choices equal each other so the deciding factor could be public opinion.

Should I take the ferry from Saint John, N.B. across the Bay of Funday to Digby, N.S. followed by a couple hours driving across N.S? or

Should I drive back thru lower N.B. to the N.S. border unto near Halifax?

Just about the same amount of time and costs are much alike. Ferry: I'd get 3 hours not having to drive and may get to see lots or none of whales. Well the road is the road.

Well the poll didn't show up so just your opinion of 1 of the 2 choices.

Moderator edit: Poll added.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that by that time you've likely seen plenty of road
and it's always nice to let someone else do the navigating.

if things are equal I'll always take the boat.. it offers the most change of pace.. even if it's a nap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: boat Reply with quote

I have never taken the boat from St John to Digby but I'd vote for it! The drive from St. John to Halifax is just alright. Did it just last weekend...if I was on vacation the boat would be very appealing. Once you land in Digby the drive down the french shore to Yarmouth is very nice as is the return drive on the South Shore to Graves. Your othe r option is Rt 8 across to Liverpool. All good!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brian...and also...I have never been on that ferry. Take the ferry...the drive from Saint John to Nova Scotia is pretty dire...

The route he talks about is really nice and costal.

And If I have learned anything in my short time as a westy owner...coastal is better than a 100 Series Highway....

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get to St-John? If you are arriving from the Edmunston-Fredericton way via the 2 just keep going through Moncton then off to NS, no need to go to St-John and you will save a bunch of time. If you must go to St-John for some reason and have some spare time then there is plenty to see by road if you avoid the highway. That highway is very boring I must agree. I never took the boat so I can't comment on that option.
Alex
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Gathering at a campsite in St. Andrews and I'll be coming in from around the Gaspe. Pretty well decided to take the Ferry and get to relax for 3 hours and hopefully see some whales. Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: ferry Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan Daizee. When you come around Gaspe you will end up in Campbellton, NB. If you stay on the East coast of NB the RT 134 to Bathurst is a nice drive. South of Bathurst there is just no way of avoiding some boring driving. Smile I have travelled that road for the past 23 yrs many many times.

If you head West from Campbellton towards St. Leonard you can travel south along the St. John River valley which has some nice scenery as well. Once you get close to Fredericton you have a few options to head to St.Andrews to the campout. Sounds like a great trip you have planned!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cost of the ferry? What do you do with pets onboard the ship?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my "alternate" life, I would take the ferry! ............. but being Wed for almost 40 years to someone who FEARS being in or floating upon large bodies of Water....... I'd be selecting the driving option for such a trip!

Take the ferry! Enjoy the the smells, the breezes, the sights and relax for a few hours.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ 149.00 and they don't say re pets. It's a 3 hour trip so it's not too bad. I'm going to take her (Munchkin) bag carrier and try to keep her with me, otherwise she'll just sleep in the van. 3 hours is the maximum I would tolerate leaving her in the van alone.

The cost is about 2 tanks of diesel, perhaps a titch more but not having to drive and the value of going across the Bay of Funday are considered. I may be able to go down around the south end of NS too which would be neat. Depends on my timing.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I called the St. John to Digby Ferry again today to ask specifically re dog. They stay in the vehicle (vehicle deck is not hot) or first come first serve on dog kennels. I figure 3 hours is not too long for a small dog. Also if you have to one of the staff can take you down to your vehicle to check if indicated. I think I mentioned the wrong fare but for a (one) senior it is $142 total (includes taxes).
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information, we are heading to Digby at the end of July as well and have been discussing this very same topic. I'm more of a nautical guy vs drive so my vote is for the ferry at least 1 way for us.

Do you need to reserve? Or is it a line up and hope you get on type ferry? Sometimes waiting on a ferry can double the time if you just drove..
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reservations are SUGGESTED, first come first served other wise. I figure the last 1/2 of July will be ferry busy! Laughing Ferry from St. John is at 12 noon and 1130 at night. I figure the noon one is THE one to take as you can see stuff. Will be making my reservations when I first hit NB which will be 3 to 5 days before I want to take it. Then from Digby I'm going to go south and around the south end of NS up to the 2nd Gathering.

When I'm heading back westerly I will take the bridge to PEI and back Will probably come back the south shore again (of St. Lawrence altho I might take the first bridge across to north shore.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: