Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Bill, your air cleaner rubber hose clamp on top of the carb looks like cheap garbage. HOW COULD YOU???

This is fun, can we keep nitpicking?

At least the clamps that I DO have say "VW" on them………
Razz Robbie

I know, I know.. Honestly, does anyone have a picture of what the correct air cleaner rubber clamp looks like? I haven't seen a picture of one and don't know what it looks like..

Hook a brother up.. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Do these pics help?

Not really, the pipe I'm looking for is 6" further to the right in the second pic.
In other words where does the other end of that body colored pipe the black vent spiral is connected to go?

IDK Mark. The body color pipe comes out on the R/S rear of the fuel tank area and the vent pipe hooks to it. It's stock for a 70' bus. I'll see if I can find a diagram of where that vent pipe is routed to.

I'm assuming you're wondering if I could hook up the 71 charcoal canister and vent it through the fan shroud and oil bath?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Do these pics help?

Not really, the pipe I'm looking for is 6" further to the right in the second pic.
In other words where does the other end of that body colored pipe the black vent spiral is connected to go?

IDK Mark. The body color pipe comes out on the R/S rear of the fuel tank area and the vent pipe hooks to it. It's stock for a 70' bus. I'll see if I can find a diagram of where that vent pipe is routed to.

I'm assuming you're wondering if I could hook up the 71 charcoal canister and vent it through the fan shroud and oil bath?

I've seen a few (maybe California delivery?) that had a charcoal canister in 1970 from the factory. Colin's Chloe bus has one, but it was also heavily restored in Oregon prior to his ownership.

--

wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Bill, your air cleaner rubber hose clamp on top of the carb looks like cheap garbage. HOW COULD YOU???

This is fun, can we keep nitpicking?

At least the clamps that I DO have say "VW" on them………
Razz Robbie

I know, I know.. Honestly, does anyone have a picture of what the correct air cleaner rubber clamp looks like? I haven't seen a picture of one and don't know what it looks like..

Hook a brother up.. Wink

Uhhh, I have six spares, from where I'm not using them… Twisted Evil

And I have no real reference, just that these are smooth and they say VW…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

http://www.bustoration.com/FRESH-AIR-TUBE-CLAMP-4-..._1963.html

This clamp looks correct in this link. It is the correct part number according to Jersey looker parts list.

It looks close to what this owner's manual showed.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

So, I walked back to the garage to see if I had one of those fresh air hose clamps. I know the ones from Wolfsburg West are stamped with the VW logo. In the meantime, I pulled the one off the bus for a closer look out of curiosity. After doing some chemistry work on it's badly dulled zinc coating, the VW logo and brand name came out. A little metal/zinc polish later, I reinstalled it. So, I'm good with this clamp now though I'd be curious what the other air filter hose original clamps looked like when these buses were new.

What's yours look like Mark?

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen VW use one of those worm-drive type clamps on the air-cooled cars. Probably a radiator hose clamp or something from a water-pumper Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

PS Robbie-

The 12 volt wires to the choke and carb solenoid are BLACK. VW also didn't install cheap, crappy flap crimp connectors. They used brass barrel connectors.

Your welcome.

Laughing Laughing

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen VW use one of those worm-drive type clamps on the air-cooled cars. Probably a radiator hose clamp or something from a water-pumper Very Happy

Damn purists!! Laughing

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Nice try, Bill! Those red wires were replaced with black in 2015; I couldn't find a better picture than that of my clamp band. (Which has since been straightened out, as well as my throttle positioner painted!)

Keep it up Smile
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nice try, Bill! Those red wires were replaced with black in 2015; I couldn't find a better picture than that of my clamp band. (Which has since been straightened out, as well as my throttle positioner painted!)

Keep it up Smile
Robbie

Damn you!

I had to try! Razz Very Happy

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

So I jinxed myself. I've been talking about how well my bus has been driving/running since I finished the mechanical overhaul.

A couple of days ago, the bus suddenly started to slightly miss and buck and lurch in 3rd and 4th gear at higher RPM and under a load. I thought to myself "WTH"? It "felt" like an electrical failure of some sort of possibly the fuel pump going south.

I didn't think it was the fuel pump though I had a fuel pump start to fail and give similar symptoms at freeway speeds under load. I had rebuilt an original square top Pierburg pump w/a VW of Mexico NOS rebuild kit a year ago and it's what is on the bus. I couldn't imagine the diaphragm had already tore or ripped.

My other thoughts about the cause before troubleshooting it were-

*Bad condenser
*Bad distributor cap
*Bad spark plug wires
*Coil

The distributor I bought as a core and restored had the points and condenser in it that looked in good shape. I reused them. My thoughts were the condenser was possibly going bad. I went ahead and yanked the distributor and replaced those parts.

The following road test showed no improvement. It was still doing it. Now, the spark plug wires are only a yearish old. Bosch ones. I decided to check them all carefully cause the symptoms also felt like an arcing spark plug wire. The wires all ohm'd out fine. While removing the #3 plug off the spark plug, I found the issue. The spark plug end wasn't screwed into the wire itself. It was only making intermittent contact. I snipped the end of the wire off and screwed the end back onto it. The next road trip showed it had fixed the problem.

I'll admit when I installed these new wires that I didn't think to check that the ends were screwed in all the way.

At least the fix was cheap. Very Happy

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

So did you shorten the wire by a few millimeters? The new Bosch wires are too long, and I'd love to see how to shorten them.

Robbie
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
So did you shorten the wire by a few millimeters? The new Bosch wires are too long, and I'd love to see how to shorten them.

Robbie

I didn't have to, shockingly! I bought this Bosch condenser from Cip-1. I had to cut the too "long" green condenser wires on my bugs though. A year ago I finally cracked my wallet and bought this tool and a bunch of the correct barrel connectors in different sizes. I think I actually bought them off Amazon or ebay.

Those connectors are identical to what was on the wires and it obviously makes the engine bay look more correct. Plus, I think they're a much better connection vs. the flaps crimp style over the plastic sheath.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Open-Barrel-Wire-Cri...fgoda5sJAg

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant the spark plug wire from number three.....
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Sorry, I meant the spark plug wire from number three.....

I just snipped the end of the spark plug wire off cleanly. Then, just screwed the plug holder into it. The end of the plug wire that goes into the distributor cap is a whole different animal. I think they use a special tool to install those ends.

Colin advised me and I'm sure you to try and prevent the plug wires from touching. He showed me on one of my bugs. He did the same thing. Unscrewed the plug holder end and cut the cable with cutters, screwed it back in and was done.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

The last few weeks I've been hitting all my favorite Samba classified used parts sellers looking for the odds and ends that my engine is missing. I bought the correct front breast tin with the hole in the middle/top to secure the pulley cover. Mine didn't have that hole and it was hacked up anyway from previous owners.
The bad news is this tin had some rust on it that required 90 minutes in a blast cabinet to go over the entire piece. Luckily the only pitting was on the underside. I then etched primed it and painted it. I mounted it up along with installing the missing pulley cover.

I also sourced the correct air cleaner elbow clamp so I can stop getting viciously attacked for my other incorrect one. Laughing A little elbow grease and polish and it looks great

After some research about what is the correct fuel pump for type 1 engines in bay buses, I found the dome tops were correct. They are usually referred to as 1300 engine fuel pumps. The parts books for bay windows shows this dome top fuel pump as well as the owner's manual has pictures of the 1971 bus engine with the dome top pump. The square top Pierburg pumps were mounted on 1966/67 through (I think) 1970 bugs. I couldn't find any evidence that square tops were ever fitted on any split or bay bus engines from the factory.

A seller on The Samba is selling NOS dome top Pierburg pumps with the VW logo (made in Mexico Shhh) so I grabbed one. I also bought the steel hard line that screws into the inlet side of the pump. The pump is excellent quality like the ones from Pierburg Germany and looks like it was made in the 60's or 70's by the age and type of VW box.

I removed the square top Pierburg fuel pump and mounted the dome top one. I then spent 30 minutes rebending the steel screw in fuel line so it would fit correctly on the engine and sit in the middle of the plastic clip/holder on the fan shroud. The other two slots hold the spark plug wires. I then stuck my fuel PSI gauge inline and fired up the engine to check what this new NOS pump put out.

It was right on the money at 3psi. I hate paying NOS parts prices but they simply work correctly right out of the box vs. the aftermarket crap we have to deal with on occasion.

I then took an update photo of the engine with it's latest part additions.

I still HATE those red intake manifold boots and spark plug boots on the distributor cap. Next time the engines out, I'm going to repaint the engine tin. I used a different brand when I painted it last and it's terrible.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

JFC, Bill.... That engine would get an 4-star rating if it were a restaurant!
I'd eat there in a heartbeat. Lookin' good! Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

I love seeing an engine bay fit for a surgeon.

When I was a kid, my Dad was always going to the VW dealer for misc. things and I remember crawling around in the new cars on the showroom floor. I can still remember looking in the engine bays that were so clean...I even remember the smell of a brand new air cooled VW.

Great job so far Bill!

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the compliments! Very Happy

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

One of the things I wanted to learn to do was how to zinc plate parts. I've been playing around with the process for several months now. I use the Caswell chemicals and a DC power source that was bought from Amazon along with other tools and chemicals. I also have learned more about zinc and zinc plating then I really wanted to know. Laughing I learned that the Zinc plating is a sacrificial coating for steel. It's designed to oxidize while it protects the steel with its coating. Once the zinc wears out or off the steel part, rust starts to eat the metal causing pitting. On some parts that were really plated well with Zinc at the factory, you can bring the luster of the zinc back out by removing the oxidation off the zinc coating with a fine wire wheel or very fine steel wool. In other cases, the zinc has deteriorated to the point that it needs to be stripped off and replated.

http://www.infinitechfinishing.com/articles/article7.htm

As we all know, many of the parts on our VW's are zinc plated and many look terrible as rust breaks through and the zinc corrodes after decades have passed. With the help of a member of the VW community as my plating mentor, I've been making some progress with my plating ability. As such, I've started to replate various engine parts and nuts & bolts.

It's an amazing transformation in taking an old, nasty, faded and sometimes rusty part and make it look new again. It's a time consuming process and takes a lot of patience and practice. I'm still learning and my plating is a work in progress. The pictures above are of some of the parts that I plated over the weekend.

On this buses engine, all of the original factory zinc covered parts looked terrible. I started to remove and replate them. I knocked off the coil bracket, the distributor cap hold down clips, all the screws on the distributor cap and the drivers side carb manifold boot clamps. Oh, and the correct size oil bath elbow clamp at the carb. I still need to re-plate the throttle positioner and a few other parts and clips.

I also ordered a new set of spark plug wires made in Germany and only $25 bucks that are the correct lengths, wire thickness and have the correct looking boots on the distributor cap. I installed them and snapped a picture.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: