Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

I pull the fabricated garbage that represented what used to be the batter tray out of my 71 tin top. The right bottom corner needs to be replaced as it's rotten garbage as well. How far do the replacement bottom corner panels go up? I would like to think its above the spot that the new battery tray welds onto it. Anyone know for sure? Question Question

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

The ones from Klassic Fab are 8" tall.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

It depends what you buy. I bought a right rear that contained the whole tail light. The Tabco panel I bought for the left side only went slightly above the left side battery tray.

There are complete rear corner units that go top to bottom.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

I will need the whole corner to the body line on the left side.. those are pricey, I will spin the wheel, order the corner for the right and see what happens.. I would like to think it would include where the battery tray meets with the body.. but my luck would probably not work out

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

I pulled the trigger (spun the internet wheel) and bought a lower right corner and the right rear wheel well. I want to start cutting the old metal out and start spot weld cutting the old tray out.. still a bit gun shy on removing things until the new parts get here.. but I could be doing something to set it up.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

I'd wait for the new parts so you can be sure of the fit.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tray and Right Rear corner panel Reply with quote

The rear corner was oversized and cut down well to where I needed it to be. I should have waited as I found more rust that the "professionals" caused by stuffing the rear end with bondo to squish into the panels everywhere. I cut the rust out and sprayed the inner panels with rust reformer and will start cutting more patch panels tomorrow or so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: