Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Vanagoners

great thread here and just want to let those who don't know that there is a Facebook Group specifically for Portland Vanagon owners. It is called the Portland Vanagons (Oregon) group and has about 152 members currently.

Meet-ups, wrenching parties, part trading, etc goes on so don't miss out and hope to see you join up.

Cheers!

Topher
'89 2WD Camper
2.1L & Lifted!
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

A little off subject.... but anybody in the Portland area have a pair of black slider windows they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
Keith
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
A little off subject.... but anybody in the Portland area have a pair of black slider windows they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
Keith

IM sent....

I got a couple of sets!
jthiessen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the response on my fuel line issue. Very helpful.

But now its decision time for me since what I really need to tackle is an engine swap. And I am not sure which option to take, and who to go to for this as I will not be able to do it myself (by any stretch of my imagination).

And when I think about what I want out of a new engine, I have narrowed it down to a few items:

-an increased level of reliability (as I would like to take road trips to Northern California, etc)
-the ability to drive up Mt. Hood at a speed of at least 50 mph.
-and at as low a cost as possible (obviously)

Keep in mind that mine is a 1980 so I am in the air-cooled world, and don't mind keeping it that way.

Input?

Thanks everyone.

Jeremy
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hey all, anyone heard when syncro solstice is this year?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

kwilk wrote:
Hey all, anyone heard when syncro solstice is this year?

Syncrofest is April 28th - May 1st so assuming its the following weekend like last year?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644767&highlight=may+2016
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Solstice is May 19-22. You can confirm on the solstice thread. Me and a few others are caravaning from portland. We will likely skip SF this year and spend 2 weeks in utah.

Kim, give me a call if you are interested. You know you are welcome to ride with us.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Damn it David, I signed up for vacation in October and had to guess when it was. I guessed the week before. Big bummer, guess no Solstice for me this year....will you get me a squishy cup though?
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Butting in the conversation to greet everyone here. Just picked up a 1983 Westy yesterday! 15 years of restoring old Volvos, this is my first non Volvo purchase ever! Looking forward to restoring this thing and meeting all the folks in the area.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the next wrench fest or meet n greet.

Cheers,
Jason
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Welcome Jason.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Question, converting to Diesel and emissions tests Reply with quote

Has anyone converted from a 1.9 or 2.1 gas engine to a modern diesel in the Portland metro area?

How was emissions testing handled? Did the title have to get revised? Any hoops to jump through? Or did they just sniff the tailpipe?

Thanks
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

My van went from a 2.1 bxr to a 2.0. ABA with software! They assume I had a stock engine......no looking, no asking, no problem!

Oregon deq requires any engine conversion be either a lateral or newer....not older than model year!
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Isn't an ABA a gas engine? I am asking about a gas to diesel conversion. How does DEQ handle those?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

I believe any conversion, also if being documented then the engine will probably have to meet deq standards of said engine requirements.

At both dmv and deq, I play ignorant and offer up the least amount of information possible.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

I just DEQ'd mine and played dumb with the Subaru 2.2 installed. They sniffed the tailpipe and didn't ask any questions.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Any recommendations for upholstery/door panel shops in the Portland area?
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
Isn't an ABA a gas engine? I am asking about a gas to diesel conversion. How does DEQ handle those?

DEQ emissions standards for diesels is nowhere near as harsh as for gas cars. I have a mercedes 240D that never had a problem passing. You're in and out pretty quick. Multnomah county doesn't care what engine you have in your vehicle, but you will want to warn them that it's a diesel and not a gas engine. They only care about the pollutant levels here.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
I just DEQ'd mine and played dumb with the Subaru 2.2 installed. They sniffed the tailpipe and didn't ask any questions.

Awesome
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Keith,

I've done a few diesel swaps, DEQ doesn't really care what you have as long as it passes the standards set for the model.

You will have to tell them that a diesel engine was available for the model year you bring them.

DMV will be the ones that change the status of your title. Do the change of fuel type when you renew your tags otherwise DMV will charge you to update your title because they will have to submit the change to Salem and reprint your title.

DrJ: Try Beaverton auto Upholstery They're on 114th @ Canyon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
drj434343 wrote:

Awesome

Fish ~ don't get all that excited, playing dumb isn't that hard. However, selective incompetence is an art. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 45

Jump to: