Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Off topic, yes.

BUT, I've been following it the last few days and have been amazed at how civil the discourse has been about a divisive and complicated subject. Maybe my standards in the current climate are at an all time low, but I usually see these things descend into mind-numbing chaos after a few posts. Instead, there have been some great posts to read through, and "reasonable" civility.

So, bravo, I literally can't remember the last time I heard or read a debate that didn't go violently off the rails. You guys have made my day.

That said, maybe folks can agree to steer the ship back to Vanagons so we don't have to get this thread locked.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
People whose basic needs are met don’t commit petty theft, because it’s not necessary.

People who have access to ordinary means of redress don’t protest, because it’s not necessary.

It’s really simple! You can address root causes-it’s harder work, you have to engage in honest critique of society, but it can be done, and is actually effective-

or you can continue to wield state violence at people, which has not worked yet.

One of the simplest, pure, well written bit on this topic I have ever read.
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

So, does anyone in/near inner SE have a westy that I could measure a few bits with for a few minutes?

Getting ready to install this pop top and I want to triple check everything I can.

I’m at about 16th and E burnside- let me know!
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
So, does anyone in/near inner SE have a westy that I could measure a few bits with for a few minutes?

Getting ready to install this pop top and I want to triple check everything I can.

Not a Westy, but I've got a Riviera out in Oregon City if that helps...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
People whose basic needs are met don’t commit petty theft, because it’s not necessary.

A corollary being, "Prius owners don't need to buy new catalytic converters, because it’s not necessary"
Nor would my my elderly neighbor need a locking mailbox for the first time in her 84 years.
And Van kill-switches.

Many of these notions seem to advance in popularity based on their propensity to aggravate (others).
But we can certainly count on it getting even worse as wealth continues to concentrate, and the unworkable notions muddy the discussions.

GoEverywhere wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

A simple and pure offer!
But as they say, the the devll is in the details.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

I appreciate it, but I need it to measure the hinge location, so it’s gotta be a westy I think.

Thanks anyway!
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

I appreciate it, but I need it to measure the hinge location, so it’s gotta be a westy I think.

Thanks anyway!

Ahh yeah, the hinges are different. Well there's a lot of them in town, hopefully someone else will pipe up!
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:

Ahh yeah, the hinges are different. Well there's a lot of them in town, hopefully someone else will pipe up!

There are 2 westies on my normal dog walk route alone (and a Riviera!), i may just write up a note and drop it in a mailbox
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

There are 2 westies on my normal dog walk route alone (and a Riviera!), i may just write up a note and drop it in a mailbox

You Might drop a note on the Portland Vanagons FB group too, they're very active and a friendly bunch.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:

I’m not to far away from you. Like, the next neighborhood east of you. I’m might be able to swing by after work tomorrow (Tues) or Wednesday morning. Maybe even Friday. I have a whacky work schedule. PM me.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

There are 2 westies on my normal dog walk route alone

.......Dogs or cars?
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

We already got scolded once this month for taking it too far off topic- I ONLY talk about westy VANS on this thread Wink
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Anyone know of or recommend a body shop in the PDX area that is familiar with vanagons?
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Is anything “happening” yet?
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Is anything “happening” yet?

You are about a decade late. Very Happy

But could always resurrect it!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

A decade late? What happened? Did everyone sell their Vanagons to buy Sprintersl like in Bend?

With pandemic risks and restrictions inching towards normal, are there any meet ups, get togethers or camp outs?
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Ten years is an exaggeration, but I think a lot of folks splintered into facebook groups about 5'ish years ago, but I do miss the activity in this thread, and lots of cool people in meet up's.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Yeah, there have been several Portland area Vanagon meetups this year already, but they've all been organized on FB. Portland Vanagons and WetWesties are two groups to check out for meets.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hmm, well I don’t do Facegram, Instabutt, or the other (anti) social media. I’ll keep an eye on Wet Westies.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Hmm, well I don’t do Facegram, Instabutt, or the other (anti) social media. I’ll keep an eye on Wet Westies.

Or we could always setup something here too... I'm down most times with enough warning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 45

Jump to: