Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical/starting weirdness
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Electrical/starting weirdness Reply with quote

Backstory: I drove from Seattle to Butte Monday one day last summer around this time of year. Had several no starts which I attributed to the motor getting too hot. No idea where I came up with that…

Fast forward a year and had it happen yesterday but without driving at highway speed across eastern WA under a heat dome. I decided to try what I later realized I should have last year has test the ignition switch. Started right up. Just went out after an all-night cooldown and put the OG switch back and again, started right up.

When I say no start, I mean no "on," no fuel pump priming, no nothing. Not just no crank, nothing.

So what gives, cognoscenti? The switch itself is overheating from the rigor passing the "on" current to the motor? I swore I would never replace another ignition switch after the last one (I think I have done 3 in 7 years) and I don't plan to renege on that. This switch is good so I am not at that point yet. But I am curious about what could be happening.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical/starting weirdness Reply with quote

Relay-relay-relay

Duncan
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical/starting weirdness Reply with quote

Poor battery connection comes to mind if nothing happens. Could also be the main supply wire to the fuse panel.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical/starting weirdness Reply with quote

It could be all kinds of things but a simple battery post (slightly and not visible) corrosion can often cause this symptom. Bust out the wire wheel and clean all you can.
A voltmeter and a voltage drop test would solve this mystery in minuets. Guys please learn how to do a volt drop test and more importantly understand why it is so necessary to get to the bottom of the problem fast. Electrical gremlins don't have any attitude or feelings, they just do what they are asked and designed to do. Make sure your van is asking the right things and see (test) if the circuit reacts as expected.

Cheers,

BK

PS dielectric grease is not helpful while diagnosing, contact betterment is. Get it fixed and working 1st then worry about future reliability. https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical/starting weirdness Reply with quote

Something similar happened to me. I spent a couple of weeks buying ignition switches and new battery and starter to finally figure out the a previous owner had spliced the wire going from the battery to the black box in the engine compartment. The splice had burnt up nicely by the time I found it. Good luck. Solving these can be a rite of passage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: