Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kill switch via defrost switch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That sort of looks like the carnivorous plant from "Little Shop of Horrors”. Don’t feed it blood...

Last edited by Gnarlodious on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: kill switch via defrost switch Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It won't run long enough in this case for a thief to get anywhere. Not even out of a parking space.

Mark

Ahwahnee wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
Why not give the fuel pump method a quick test, and see just how long the engine runs without the pump?...

Even if it runs for several seconds, this may be even better than a 'no start'.

On another of my cars (with a carb and electric fuel pump) the kill switch will allow the engine to start and the car to go a couple of blocks before it is out of gas. This would leave a would-be thief sitting in a disabled vehicle in the middle of the street.

I agree that the van won't go very far but it is enough that it is in risk of being impounded after being abanded by the would be thief in traffic or blocking parking stalls. Impound fees can be expensive in addition to taking the time to go to the right places with the right paperwork without a vehicle.
At least we are back on topic...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested this in my 87 this afternoon.

With pump ground wire unhooked the engine would not even start, parked for about 1 hour since last run. It fired a couple times but never started.

With the wire back on and engine running, I pulled the wire off. The engine died in under 3 seconds.

If 3 seconds is too long for you, simply turn off the secret switch, wait 3 seconds for the engine to use up the fuel and stop, then turn off the key and lock the van.

Mark
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a switch under the rear seat to my fuel pump RELAY that cuts all power to the fuel pump when in the off position. Works great for security, and after a oil change i turn the engine over a few times to purge any air out of the oil system before start up.
Also just as important as a security switch for theft I have a blue sea ground switch that cuts all power (except ecu and stereo) in the van. It cuts all circuits to the ground preventing any unwanted fires. There is power running to the fuse panel 24/7 and its a bummer if someone steals your van, but it sucks a big one if your van hot wires itself and drives down the road on fire. Shocked
This guys has a removable key you can hide or take with you !.....

35 bucks could save your van!
http://www.seaboundsupply.com/blue-sea-9001e-e-ser...EG-zrw_wcB

Nobody wants self self stealing vans....

Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the vehicle acting like it wants to start, and even trying to sputter to life, but not actually starting. You could leave the key in it and leave it unlocked (if it's relatively empty of valued possessions) if you're in a known high theft area. That way, maybe you wouldn't come back to a broken window.

It would be kind of like a sunroof. It doesn't seal water out, it lets it in and drains it. The would be thief would probably figure the vehicle has a running problem and skeedaddle off to a better prospect.

Chuey
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of hiding the switch in plain sight. I took the AC out of my 87 Westy, but the switches still sit there in the dash, looking like they belong there but doing nothing. If I ran the ground wire from the fuel pump up into the dash, how could I hook one of them up as the kill switch?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Instead of a toggle switch, I would prefer a momentary switch that allowed current during the 'start' position but did not affect the 'run' position. That way, you would press and hold the switch during starting, it would always reset to the 'no-start' position without you having to remember to switch it back, and there would be no risk of a passenger (or yourself) accidentally switching off the engine while driving.

This is what I came up with for wiring to meet the above design criteria:

That diagram is for a diesel and interrupts the fuel cut-off solenoid but very similar could be done to interrupt the fuel pump on a gas engine. The ignition switch connection would be hot for run and start. With the key in either of those positions, the momentary switch could be triggered to activate the relay. Once the relay is triggered it will pass current on the to stop solenoid and will feed current from its 87 connection back to the 86 connection to keep itself ON until the ignition switch is turned back to OFF. At that point it would be reset and would require the pressing of the momentary switch with the key in the start or run position to reactivate. The result would be automatic resetting of the kill switch and no power to the stop solenoid (or fuel pump) unless someone pressed the mementary switch with the key in either start or run.

Anyone see any issues with that as a concept?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put a diode in the wire between 87 and 86. This simple relay approach could be used to interrupt the same black wire in gas models as you intend it for in diesels. In gas models that black wire powers the ignition coil and enables the ECU relay. So this could be added entirely in the dash area and no extra wires would have to be run to the pump or engine compartment.

Mark
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your key technically is a fuel pump wire interrupt switch.
you can tap the key/Ign wire at the dash to a 2nd switch to befuddle a would be thief .. is essentially the same as putting an interrupt switch at the fuel pump.

you can interrupt this circuit anyplace from the battery to the pump
pick one thats convenient or inconvenient or you can put 2 in and have both

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I would put a diode in the wire between 87 and 86. This simple relay approach could be used to interrupt the same black wire in gas models as you intend it for in diesels. In gas models that black wire powers the ignition coil and enables the ECU relay. So this could be added entirely in the dash area and no extra wires would have to be run to the pump or engine compartment.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

The above could also be done with one of the defrost toggle switches with the advantages being, as mentioned, not running any additional wires under the van and being able to set the toggle switch ON (when the ignition was in RUN or START) and then immediately back to OFF reducing the liklihood of forgetting to set it to OFF when shutting down the van. I'd still prefer the switch to be momentary but at least this would help make it easier to remember. 10% of the time, when I go to start my automatic vanagon I find that I left it in D or R... The toggle switch would be similar.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be worried about how quickly you could restart the van after an accidental stall, like say if you popped the clutch at an intersection and needed to restart the van quickly to get away from oncoming traffic.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that it would affect the time required to restart the vehicle unless one is prone to fumbling.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could wire it with a lighted rocker switch such that the switch lights up when you shut off the key, reminding you to flick it off to set the kill switch. This would be easy enough with the switches that have a separate contact for powering the switch light.

Alternatively you could re-wire the key-in buzzer to only react to a engine off but kill switch disengaged scenario. To shut it up you need to flick the kill switch to off. This could work with the magnet switch too to remind you to remove the Venus Fly trap.

In the emergency re-start (stalled) scenario just a light would be on or the buzzer going but it wouldn't impede a speedy re-start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Velleman RFID reader Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has considered the Velleman RFID reader?
https://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=524933
The unit is affordable at $35 which includes 2 cards and everything you need. Can use optional key fob which would add convenience, and I am pretty sure a pickup coil can be mounted inside the ignition cowling.

This device only came out recently, so I might be the culprit to work it into a Vanagon. Seems like the ideal solution. Comments?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
I've always wanted to hide a magnetic reed switch in the steering column, and add a strong magnet to my keychain.

Has anyone seen this?

Megatronix - SKSR - Starter Kill Switch Immobilizer Security System

Looks like a ready to install version of the various reed switch ideas (based on this one — http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=107975)

This and/or the wheel clamp (as a first level of deterrence) ought to keep our little lambs from wandering.

Edit: or maybe not. The one-handed disarming sounded like the magnet/reed switch concept but the instructions (available online) don't mention it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:

...and Terry should cover up a little, his stupid is showing and no one wants to see that... Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sorry to qoute this from a 3 year old thread BUT thats the funniest thing Ive read in a long time! Especially now that TK is finally banned

Poetic justice i suppose

Anyways just reading through this as I want to add a kill switch after reading about another (Levi) van theft. Its getting ridiculous
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: kill switch via defrost switch Reply with quote

I have an RFID system with 2 key fobs bought on eBay months ago for really cheap, but haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Cutting the ground to the fuel pump doesn't seem like a useful thing to do unless your thief is very stupid. The fuel pump is easily accessible and grounding it to the body doesn't take long.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: kill switch via defrost switch Reply with quote

The PO of my van have some issue with VSS sensor(or the lack of VSS), it will cause engine to shut off. I guess some kid stole it and only got couple blocks before the engine shuts down and abandoning it.

Similar to fuel pump idea, where it mimic engine problem and not a kill switch problem plus the thief don't want to stand around when it attracting bunch of attention on the street. If right off the bat the van won't start, the thief might start looking for kill switch.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Andrew A. Libby wrote:

...and Terry should cover up a little, his stupid is showing and no one wants to see that... Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sorry to qoute this from a 3 year old thread BUT thats the funniest thing Ive read in a long time! Especially now that TK is finally banned

Poetic justice i suppose

Anyways just reading through this as I want to add a kill switch after reading about another (Levi) van theft. Its getting ridiculous

Holy cow! I hadn't realized he was banned. I'll miss his crazy a bit but I won't miss the rest of him. I wonder if he'll try to come back like insyncro.

Anyway, a good thread. I especially like the momentary on switch and the rfid switch ideas.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I just tested this (fuel pump kill switch) in my 87 this afternoon.

With pump ground wire unhooked the engine would not even start...

FWIW - I can confirm this (not that anyone should doubt Mark) and am now using a fuel pump kill switch that interrupts the pump ground. A very simple installation as you only run a single wire to the switch (the other pole of the switch can go to a nearby ground).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: