Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: 85 Westy Reply with quote

from
who should I buy a new Turnkey motor for my 85 Westy?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy Reply with quote

not waterboxer inc or any of his partners in crime (parts guy on samba)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy Reply with quote

Budget: AVP-worldwide/Bus Depot. ~3000-3500, delivered and whatever other expenses you end up with. 3-4 weeks delivery time.

Mid level: Stock Rocky Jennings. ~5500, same as above except probably a longer lead time. GoWesty has a 2.2 motor that could go here, I guess, but it's getting up around 6000-6500 in cost.

Upper tier: Performance Rocky Jennings or GoWesty motor 2.3 and higher. 7k plus, delivered and all that. By my math, one could easily spend 10-11k in this category, with mechanical upgrades like the vanistan/RMW exhaust, fancy injectiors/rocker arms/ etc, or even the GW EFI system.

GoWesty is probably going to get you a motor fastest. On all of the above, I'm not including core charges, so there's another 1000-1500 up front cost that you may or may not get back.

This is also why so many people go the Subaru or other conversion route. Even buying a rebuilt motor and paying for other work (i.e., wiring harness), you can stay below 10k going Subaru and I think Bostig.

Only cheaper option might be a local rebuilder, but I doubt that will be much less than the Bus Depot/AVP option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: