Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd starting problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Odd starting problem Reply with quote

Got an odd problem occasionally when starting my '70 bug (with a '71 engine), happens about once every twenty times I go to start it in the morning -- hasn't happened when I go to leave from work or after short stops etc.

It tries to start, but it sounds like the starter gets stuck. Almost like it doesn't have enough battery to turn the engine over. But if you try it a few more times, pausing briefly between each, it'll start no problem.

Engine got a new standard flywheel from Chirco and a remanufactured Bosch starter from RockAuto before it was installed ~ six months ago.
Battery is about a year old DieHard, ground strap and wires replaced when installed.

Doesn't appear to be a big deal, once started the car runs fine and it usually doesn't happen again for a few weeks (using the bug as a commuter atm).

Ideas?
I'm leaning towards the starter being a bit on the crappy side, but when it works (which is the vast majority of the time) 's fine.
I've read about the hard start relay fix and plan to put one in if just to take some strain off the ignition, but given the solenoid appears to engage I'm wondering if it would help in this case.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check and or replace the starter bushing when you replaced the starter? How old is the battery? Mine would hold a charge but lost the cranking amps. Also old brittle wires can build up resistance making it hard to start (I have read).
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is most likely to be the two high current contacts within the starter solenoid itself. If this intermittent problem really bothers you, take the solenoid apart and clean up these contact surfaces.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwp - Yep, new starter bushing came with the starter.
Battery is only a year old and as the headlights, radio, etc all work fine I'm fairly sure it's alright -- that, and when it decides to start it sounds normal. Wires on this end are brand new, though the cable that carries the signal from the key is (afaik) original.

Luft - Thanks, I'll check on the solenoid.
Problem doesn't really bother me atm, but I would like to figure out what it is so when it fails in the future I can fix it quickly.

Cheers.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables and do same with transaxle to body ground cable. Replace any cable that you have any doubt about, especially any battery cable with the quick fix clamp on end of cable battery clamp.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be some foreign matter or deformed gear teeth in one area of the flywheel. Pull the starter and spark plugs out and slowly rotate the engine while cleaning each tooth with a toothbrush and some solvent.

Happening only every twentieth time is the reason I think this is possible. Electric issues tend to happen at random or consistently.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: