Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Air cooled.. 70 Camper.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Reply with quote

Which fuel pump (brand) are you running? Picture? Have you checked your dwell to see if your points are closing up? What brand condenser and points are you using?

Off the top of my head, it sounds like a condenser acting up or a fuel pump on it's way out. Is your fuel tank clean? How bad was the fuel filter? Have you ever cleaned the screen inside the fuel tank that's on the outlet where you fit your fuel line to it?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Which fuel pump (brand) are you running? Picture? Have you checked your dwell to see if your points are closing up? What brand condenser and points are you using?

Off the top of my head, it sounds like a condenser acting up or a fuel pump on it's way out. Is your fuel tank clean? How bad was the fuel filter? Have you ever cleaned the screen inside the fuel tank that's on the outlet where you fit your fuel line to it?

Stock pump.. OG

as seen here

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't checked my dwell, I set the points on my 009 in June of last year. I will be installing the dizzy you sold to me this weekend.

The tank should be clean unless the POR15 is peeling. I did not replace the screen in the tank due to running a fuel filter. I suppose something could be blocking the hole. When I changed the filter the fuel flowed out quite well, I drained the tank. The filter wasn't too dirty for how much fuel has been through it.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Reply with quote

It's a pain in the rear to remove that screen from the tank w/out dumping gas all over. Since you noted it ran better after changing the filter, I'd be suspicious of possible clogging on that screen. Some folks have luck with the Por15 while others have it peel off and clog up everything.

You can buy a fuel pressure gauge for $20 bucks. It might not be a bad idea to see what kind of pressure that pump is putting out. I had a fuel pump start to go bad on me in a bug. It started to fall all over itself and I couldn't get to freeway speeds. Luckily I was able to turn around and get home. The pump was bad. After changing it, the problem was solved.

You should swap the distributor out. I can't recall if the one i sold you had new points and condenser or not? If it does, it's a quick change.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
It's a pain in the rear to remove that screen from the tank w/out dumping gas all over. Since you noted it ran better after changing the filter, I'd be suspicious of possible clogging on that screen. Some folks have luck with the Por15 while others have it peel off and clog up everything.

You can buy a fuel pressure gauge for $20 bucks. It might not be a bad idea to see what kind of pressure that pump is putting out. I had a fuel pump start to go bad on me in a bug. It started to fall all over itself and I couldn't get to freeway speeds. Luckily I was able to turn around and get home. The pump was bad. After changing it, the problem was solved.

You should swap the distributor out. I can't recall if the one i sold you had new points and condenser or not? If it does, it's a quick change.

It does, although the last time I tired to install it I didn't have much luck. I will try again. Also there is no screen and since I drained the tank there shouldent be any more blockage. I am thinking its maybe the pump... speaking of that what would be a good replacement? I don't see to many these days.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Reply with quote

I replaced the condenser and points on the 009 distributor and it runs great!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: