Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hey This is the Beetle I just bought!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Hey This is the Beetle I just bought! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, These pics are of my first beetle a 1972 1302s the car is in pretty original condition inside and i plan to keep it that way, just clean it up a bit,put a decent stereo (in the glovebox im not going to cut the dash)
I will probably be looking for advice but will make sure i dont ask questions that have allready been asked,
the rubbers pretty deteriorated so that be my first job any suggestions the place im gettin it from have Jbugs, and West Coast Metric which is better WCM seems a bit more expensive.

The Engine is a rebuilt 1600 which has a fair bit of power

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

by the way the photo of the engine is when i the previous owner bought it since then he has rebuilt the engine, removed the old strereo put back the radio block off plate.

The car in the last pic is the most recent, engine rebuilt bupers removed ..

I have officially named Him Phoenix - kinda symbolic

Last edited by Macca_nzl on Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. Good luck with it.

Now for all the "experts": I thought all dashes were padded after 67. Was that just for US models? This 72 has the painted metal dash.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that one would have had the padded dash too... someone obviously took it off.

why did you take the bumpers off? If they were original german ones I sure hope you did not toss them out... the rear looked in excellent shape.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Nah I still have the bumpers about 3 of them, the PO took them off but i still have them, New Zeland beetles are different from US Spec - they were built in Austalia and so do not have the padded dash you speak of

occaisionally you will find a padded dash earlier than 73 but they tend to be german built ones
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretyy wierd about the dash... yours still has all the big black late model knobs and some holes for dash vents like it once had a padded dash.... that's what threw me off...

looks like a nice ride... RHD is considered way cool over here where they are scarce. good luck and welcome to the samba! Smile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973 1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just love metal dashboards

cool beetle Cool
Jeff H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca

Congrats on a nice find! It's interesting seeing how the Australian/New Zealand Bugs are different from US specs.

Be forewarned that there are some people who don't like the Super Beetles and, if you hang out in the Rants Forum, you'll get pounded pretty good about it. Don't worry about it. They're good guys just trying to get your riled up.

Again, congrats!

JSH
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why wouldnt someone like a super beetle? that is nuts. the beetle was the first volkswagen, and the super beetle is its direct ancestor. i love super beetles and wish i had one.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys thanks for the input, yeah the aus/Nz specs are wierd i was looking at a 68 for sale and it had all the features of a 66, ie: separate fuel gauge, still had to lift up the top to fill the petrol, bumper mounts still went through the front end instead of the fenders, but she was asking too much and i had to let it go

Sam
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a unique piece of history there, put the bumpers back on, clean it up like you said, and have fun with it. As for new rubber, I'm a believer in you get what you pay for. West Coast Metric has been around for 20+ years, they provide a great product.

Welcome to the Fat Chick Club, enjoy!

jeffrey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barry32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, macca! Nice find, hope you have a lot of fun with it. I definetly lover my Super. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
1973 1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry32 wrote:
Congrats, macca! Nice find, hope you have a lot of fun with it. I definetly lover my Super. Very Happy
hey barry i know you from superbeetlesonly Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: