Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 bug LED bulb conversion?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
vintagecarleds wrote:
Let me know if you have any questions about our headlight products.

As for brake lights, I highly recommend these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CRoPHe0fU

Paired nicely with this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

I used these exact lights and had nothing but issues. I am sure others have had better luck, individual results have varied. When I first put them in along with the correct flasher, I lost all my blinkers. replaced the rears with incandescent and the blinkers came back.

The brake/tail lights worked great for about two years. One of the bases came loose and shorted out. I replaced them with regular 1157's and keep blowing fuses. Now I have no lights on the back of my bug...at all. Not sure what went south, it may or may not even be related, but I will never, ever use led replacement bulbs again.

That's pretty odd. I installed the Zevo LEDs for my brake & turn signals.

They have been working great for 2.5 years now. All I had to do was swap the flasher relay out for a LED version. (same 3 prong plug)

Sorry to hear that man!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

vintagecarleds wrote:

Paired nicely with this:

I used these exact lights and had nothing but issues. I am sure others have had better luck, individual results have varied. When I first put them in along with the correct flasher, I lost all my blinkers. replaced the rears with incandescent and the blinkers came back.

The brake/tail lights worked great for about two years. One of the bases came loose and shorted out. I replaced them with regular 1157's and keep blowing fuses. Now I have no lights on the back of my bug...at all. Not sure what went south, it may or may not even be related, but I will never, ever use led replacement bulbs again.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

If I'm using 12v strip SMD LED (those little square looking led lights) I like the 5050 or 5730 SMD sizing. I'd recommend either for the speedometer. Those numbers are the size of the led chips 5050 means 5.0mm by 5.0mm and so forth. 5050 are readily available almost anywhere.

One of my garages is lit only by 5050 led strip lighting using step down transformer and two 50w 110v COB LED's. For my bug I also added white COB led under the sills as door open courtesy lights and blue COB led when running lights or headlights are activated. Lots of applications for these type of lights!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunes wrote:
Hi Joel.

I see you say you replaced the speedo light or cluster lights/bulbs to LED.

Would you be able to point me to the correct bulb on Amazon...

I'm gonna jump in for Joel and answer this question....

For Joel's speedo illumination lighting he didn't use "bulbs". Take a look at his pic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look at the copper colored strip that runs along the inside from 1-o'clock thru 10-o'clock... this is an LED strip. You can see the white LEDs every few mm along the length. This is wired into the illumination circuit from the headlight switch. You can see the white power wire passing thru the hole at 2-o'clock.
Also note the aluminum tape Joel added to the inside to reflect more light around.

I believe Joel did this a few years back. With the LEDs available today you could probably use fewer LEDs and get the same lumens of light... or for the same cost add MORE lumes and have multi-colored dimmable LEDs allowing a disco light show in your dash! Razz

I'm firmly of the opinion that old incandescent bulbs should all be replaced with LEDs. If you are impatient tackle it as a project. if not, wait until they burn out and then buy an LED replacement.... or in Joel's case make a replacement.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

Paired nicely with this:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

Mine's a 73 so I know the exterior lights are different, but I agree that modern tech LED is much better than even just a couple years ago.
I used COB LED's for interior footwell lighting, all exterior lights are LED, and headlight LED's came from Thomas at vintagecarleds.com
All are an improvement, very bright, I would never change back. You do have to research and use the right bulb for the application though.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

LED headlights are well worth the $$. Tom at vintagecarled can hook you up.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 bug LED bulb conversion? Reply with quote

I would like to disgree with the statement that modern LEDS do not give out light that is equivalent to incandecent bulbs. Maybe 8 years ago they didnt but now they do. I fitted the following to my car and they more than match incandecent bulbs.
Note the red bulbs are the wrong ones as I couldnt find the correct fitment.

tunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I still run leds in my dome light, glovebox, license plate light, speedo and running lights,
got them off ebay.

Hi Joel.

I see you say you replaced the speedo light or cluster lights/bulbs to LED.

Would you be able to point me to the correct bulb on Amazon etc so I could get the correct LED bulbs to insert there? The beetle speedo cluster bulbs are tiny and I've purchased many online just to realise they're all too big when they arrive!

The ones I have on my bug are the original little bulbs with a tiny base that pushes and tightens down - the base is metal that makes the earth contact with the speedo cluster itself.

Would anyone be able to help fellow enthusiast?

Thanks in advance!
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go,
I'll have to get another pic of it in action with the face and glass back on.

Important to use SMD style so they still dim normally with the rheostat.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel post a photo of your speedo! I've been thinking about led strip lighting mine but haven't done it yet.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfly wrote:
I got these and love them!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1569726

In the advert it says they work great for Generator and oil lights. They DONT mention alternators even though it says "68 and up" VWs; and as I pointed out above, if you have an alternator, it NEEDS the current through the dash Alt bulb to start producing power. An LED draws so little current it might not be enough to get the alternator charging (generators don't need that current to start working).
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksbooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

X2.

Just make sure you get the reverse polarity ones for the oil, gen, and turn signal indicator.
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all not entirely true. There are LED's now that have wider spread. You can buy these LEDs, which have a 180 degree projection angle:

To be precise, these are 8 mm 1200 mcd (1.2 times a candle light) 3500K nm LEDs with 180 degree projection angle.
These LED's have a nice "yellow-ish" light, and spread the light around, just like a normal light bulb.

I have used them in my speedo, and you really cannot tell the difference with normal bulbs:

There is only one drawback, and that is that these LEDs are not dimmable. So the dashboard light dimmer is a bit useless now. The LEDs can be dimmed, but they go to black pretty fast when using the dimmer.

Read the full story here: http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-modifications/modifications-led.html?start=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the dome light, I don't think it is worth the hassle of changing to LEDs in our bugs. I did the LED in the dash lights and since they are directional, they only lit the one spot in the speedo. I had to change them back again. And unless your use reverse polarity leds, they won't work in the oil, gen and turn signal lights.

My son is a deputy sherriff and he says that he sometimes has to stop people who have switched out their bulbs for leds in their tail lights because they don't do the side illumination very well. LEDs are directional, and even if you have them "around" the sides, they still only point straight out, so they leave "dead" spots. This is rather unsafe.

And even if they do say they put out the same amount of light, because an incandesant bulb puts it out all over, it is perceived as brighter than the led that only puts it straight out.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedos use BA7S LEDs BUT I would not recommend them in a speedo,
I've tried them and they have the same problem of not diffusing the light enough and VW speedos rely on that they make the fuel gauge bright as hell and the rest almost unreadable.
What I did was put an LED strip in there instead.
You can buy lengths of it from ebay cheap in all colours,
I do a lot of night driving and found plenty of other places to use it also.

As well as in the speedo I put some in my glovebox and under the dash

For the dome light you just need a festoon style LEDs, from memory they are 42mm long.

I get the SMD style as they dim properly, I've got a delay feature so it stays on for 15 secs after the door is shut then fades out.
Normal LEDs cant handle doing that.

Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shameless.

I have some LED bulbs in my Aussie Jackaroo (Isuzu Trouper/Monterey).

But as Joel says the light from them is not as general, and even though mine are supposed to give off about the same lumens, they don't. I have two complete sets of tail light assemblies on this car and have converted one set to LEDs and left the others as normal bulbs. I can see the difference at night when looking at the car - the LEDs are just not as bright, and are slightly less visible from the sides, even though they have sideways pointing LEDs in the bulbs.

Converting the blinker bulbs to LEDs will usually result in a rapid blink as the LEDs don't use enough power for the heat blinker element to get hot enough to blink at normal speeds. That's part of the reason I have not converted all my rear lights to LEDs.

Another issue for you, especially since you say you are converting to an alternator. If you do that, leave the Gen/Alt light in the dash as a normal incandescent, because the alternator needs the current through that light to start producing power, and the LEDs use so little current the Alt might not start charging the battery at all. This is not a problem if you leave the generator on though - it doesn't need the current through the Gen/Alt light to start making power.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shamc006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I still run leds in my dome light, glovebox, license plate light, speedo and running lights,
got them off ebay.

You don't happen to have a link to the ones similar or exact your running? I'm just looking now and finding the correct size for the speedo etc. There's to many
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got them off ebay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: