Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch 383 distributor timing question
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luftkraftfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

I've recently been fortunate enough to acquire Der Brummbar, a vintage speed 36HP powered Zwitter with a Speedwell supercharger, Solex PCI 32 carb and a Bosch 383 distributor. I'll admit up front that I've got very little experience with 36ers and associated vintage speed bolt-ons. At any rate, I had a few carb issues that needed sorting and while I was at it I figured I'd go through everything and give her a full tune up. My question is - what are the advance parameters of this "383" distributor? I static timed it at 7.5 btdc (I'm thinking the original 36HP pulley with a single notch is the 7.5 mark??) What should I set full advance at? 30-32?? or might this particular setup require something different than what i'm used to. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

When I dyno'd my 25hp and then dyno'd it again after upgrading it to 1300cc it liked 30° total advance
luftkraftfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

Thanks OGPaint. I'm assuming you were running a 383 dist.
luftkraftfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

I'm really just trying to determine whether or not there is anything "unusual" about the 383 distributor in regards to timing.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

The 383 is a mechanical only distributor. All mechanical only distributors should be set at full advance which is generally 28-32* BTDC @ 3500rpm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luftkraftfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn! that answers my question.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

What sets the mechanical advance distributors apart from each other is the amount of advance that they deliver:

VE 4 BRS 383 30 degrees
VJ 4 BR 9 30 degrees Porsche distributor
VJ 4 BR 18 30 degrees later Porsche distributor same as BR 9
VJ 4 BR 8 17 degrees same as the "019" 1955-59 Bus
VJ 4 BR 25 20 degrees same as the "010" 1960 Bus

and the rate(advance curve) that they deliver it. The 383 would be static set at @ TDC. The 010 would be static set at @ 10 degrees BTDC.

The best procedure is to set timing the way Glenn suggests.

Historically VW timing was around TDC for the 36 hp Beetle engines and 10 BTDC for the Bus. With the advent of the 40 hp the static timing was moved to 10 BTDC ffor both. For the 1966-67 1300 and 1500 timing was adjusted to 7.5 BTDC. When the 1600 was introduced timing was reset to TDC. These settings are all a function of the distributor not the engine size.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Historically VW timing was around TDC for the 36 hp Beetle engines and 10 BTDC for the Bus.

I'm curious why you say that when the mark on the pulley is 7.5 BTDC and it shows using the mark in the owner's manual for both Bug and Bus and says the timing is 7.5 BTDC.

'59 bus manual example with 7.5 BTDC, page 63:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug58bus/page63.jpg
Using the mark to time it, page 49:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug58bus/page49.jpg
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

Does anyone have a chart for the advance of the 383?
I checked my '53 shop manual and it wasn't in there.

Here's one 36hp distrbutor
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Does anyone have a chart for the advance of the 383?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

Yes, my engine runs a 383.

When I timed my car per the owners manual, static timed to timing mark, it was getting more total advance than the engine liked on the dyno. My distributor is in good working order, but getting the total advance happy required retarding the timing at idle. One well known 383 rebuilder has told me that he modifies his rebuilds for slightly less advance because he feels less total advance is needed with modern gasoline.

I will double check my dyno notes, but I am pretty sure my engine was most happy at 30°
luftkraftfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

Great info! Thanks a bunch guy's, I think I'm on the right track now.
jborregoy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 383 distributor timing question Reply with quote

So the pulleys in the buses came with different graduation mark @ 10 BTDC even thou they were the same 25/36 HP engines? Or was the tech guy that changed the timing with a wrench?

It means that they got the maximum HP less than the @3,500 RPM Glenn recommended?

The link in the advance curve of the 383 is lost, so if anyone have it please re-post in thesamba Gallery.

Jorge Borrego

tasb wrote:
What sets the mechanical advance distributors apart from each other is the amount of advance that they deliver:

VE 4 BRS 383 30 degrees
VJ 4 BR 9 30 degrees Porsche distributor
VJ 4 BR 18 30 degrees later Porsche distributor same as BR 9
VJ 4 BR 8 17 degrees same as the "019" 1955-59 Bus
VJ 4 BR 25 20 degrees same as the "010" 1960 Bus

and the rate(advance curve) that they deliver it. The 383 would be static set at @ TDC. The 010 would be static set at @ 10 degrees BTDC.

The best procedure is to set timing the way Glenn suggests.

Historically VW timing was around TDC for the 36 hp Beetle engines and 10 BTDC for the Bus. With the advent of the 40 hp the static timing was moved to 10 BTDC ffor both. For the 1966-67 1300 and 1500 timing was adjusted to 7.5 BTDC. When the 1600 was introduced timing was reset to TDC. These settings are all a function of the distributor not the engine size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: