Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal not working 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueComb78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Turn signal not working 2 Reply with quote

Hey, i'm new to owning a VW thing Very Happy . just got one a couple days ago and am very excited about it. I'm just having problems with the turn signal. It won't turn on when i flip the switch. Does the Thing have a flasher? and if so where is it? Any suggestions would be helpful as i am not exactly the most mechanically experienced person Confused . oh well. Thanks for reading.

What you see above was my previous submission. Since then i've found a more serious problem that may be linked to the broken turn signal. When i took the plate (to the left the steering wheel) down so as to see the wires i found that it looks like a mouse or something got in and chewed through a couple wires Shocked . This may be the cause of the turn signal not working. Everything else seems to be working fine. Do i need to go to an electrician to fix this? or can i do it myself? If anyone can help me that would be great. Razz
BlueComb78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

last saturday me and my dad rewired the electrical behind the dash board. We had found that mice not only chewed through two wires but almost all the warning lights and other such wires. Crazy rodents Twisted Evil . Oh well. everything is working fine now except that the flasher is burning out. Hmmm...
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the wires are still there, you can replace the "chewed" portions one at a time. If wires are actually missing, you will need a wiring diagram.

It is pretty easy to work on 12V DC electrical stuff. You may need patience but not an electrician.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
fretless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to am having problems with the turn signal. when I flip the turn signal to the left it blows the fuse but it will not blow using to turn right. I don't have any rodent damage or any bare wire that I can see. Confused
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is a short in the left side turn signal circuit. Start by checking bulbs to make sure they are broken os shorted within the socket. Then I'd start at the switch and begin ruling things out until you find it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BlueComb78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks edgy Very Happy . Its a good thing i decided to get an older car that is not so hard to work on because i also have some other mechanical work that i'm doing like replacing the brake line and stuff. I also got a new flasher from thingsunlimited.net and it seems to be working fine now.

Also fretless, at type181registry.com/links/ there is a link to Thomas ainly's technical site that has wiring diagrams and stuff for the thing.

Thanks again edgy and Godspeed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: